Recording In Live Mode And Sound Cards

Echo

This was my new adventure today…Trying out the Live button.

I read about It In the N help…and got It working But…
I have major echo…I’m using head phones… With all effects off I still get echo :) …I need some help with this

I Like the Idea of the live so I can hear a bit of reverb…I think It will help my singing.

That is what is called latency. The only way to do this is to reduce your buffer size. However, low latencies can introduce pops and clicks, so you may not even be able to do this and in any event you will need to experiment.

For WDM drivers:
Settings > Preferences > Buffering

For ASIO drivers:
Hammer Icon in the Record VU > ASIO Settings > ASIO Control Panel

Thanks Bubba…I dropped It down to med…but I still get the echo

also when I click on the hammer Icant find ASIO settings

Are you able to hook up your mixer so you can record one buss while listening to another? If so, grab a hardware echo/reverb (even a guitar pedal will do) and use that to add an effect to you voice while recording and avoid all the headache that LIVE mode can bring.

Quote: (Daner @ Jan. 22 2009, 8:47 PM)

Thanks Bubba...I dropped It down to med....but I still get the echo

also when I click on the hammer Icant find ASIO settings

Google up "ASIO for all" and install it if your sound card/interface doesn't have ASIO drivers. (What is your interface?)

If you have ASIO installed - you will need to select it from the Settings > Audio menu - the Hammer Icon lets you select from what you have told N-Track to have active. I’m fairly sure ASIO in and ASIO out muct both be selected and you can’t use other choices, (MME or WDM) at the same time. In most cases, WDM drivers will allow you to set the buffers low enough to reduce latency - if your computer is fast enough and the effects you are using are no slowing things down too much.
The “live” setting is so you can hear yourself WITH the effects the computer is adding - you are always going to always have some latency in what you hear. If you monitor directly from the pre-amp/amplifier you should have little or no latency in what you hear. As mentioned, if you can add hardware effects you will reduce the latency/echo you hear.

(What is your interface?)[/quote]
Interface??
If Its the sound card…Its Realtec

I don’t know what a Interface Is

Then you don’t have ASIO. You will need to use ASIO for All if you want ASIO capabilities. You will use either WDM or ASIO, never both at the same time. No matter, lower your buffers from Medium to even lower. Keep going until the echo is gone and you have no pops or clicks.

the only box I have Is a Boss ME-20 My mic has a different plug on It(pinned). So Is there a box on the market that I can set some reverb in between the mic and the mixing console?

Search for Alesis NanoVerb on evilBay. You can find 'em for fifty bucks on occasion. They make for nice verb’s for tracking purposes. Better than cobbling together junk to get a guitar pedal working IMO.

ASIO4ALL HERE

D

Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 22 2009, 3:36 PM)

Search for Alesis NanoVerb on evilBay. You can find 'em for fifty bucks on occasion. They make for nice verb's for tracking purposes. Better than cobbling together junk to get a guitar pedal working IMO.

ASIO4ALL HERE

D

Ok I'm getting the picture...I don't need anymore complications with software LOL...but what you guys are suggesting makes good sense.

I want to keep this as simple as possible...and connecting a box in between the mic and the mixer sounds good to me.

Thanks for that ebay link...but are there any other good boxes out there.

And thaks for your help guys...yaa I'm a little green

How about posting a gear list Daner? Let us know what you have at your disposal and maybe we can help you make some quasi-semi-sorta informed decisions on how to rig up, what else you might need and if you need to clip your toe nails or not.

D

Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 22 2009, 3:54 PM)

How about posting a gear list Daner? Let us know what you have at your disposal and maybe we can help you make some quasi-semi-sorta informed decisions on how to rig up, what else you might need and if you need to clip your toe nails or not.

D

Yessss :) Lets go shopping :)

Ok This Is what I have besides Instruments

Mixer:Yamaha USB --MW12
Mic:ROHS -C1
Pedal:Boss ME-20
Speakers :Behringer Truth B2031A
Headphones: Sennheiser HD 212 PRO

Use the Yamaha USB for the soundcard/mixer, you can download the asio driver free at their website!

Download the manual for setting up nTrack also.

Connect the MW to a USB terminal on your laptop or desktop computer, and you've got an instant, high-quality audio recording studio in-a-box. The MW delivers true plug-and-play USB audio input/output interfacing, and lets you easily mix your audio sources down to two-track stereo for recording to computer.

Straight off the web site for the Yamaha

Is this not the Yamaha mixer you have?

Yamaha Mixer

Dude, the Realtek soundcard is crappola for multi-track recording.

The MW12 Is always hooked to the computer and N Track

I’m not too sure about these drivers (asio)…what are these drivers going to do for me?

D…I still want to shop…When a good singer(not me) Is recording…the sound engineer must put some good effects back to the singers headphones…do they not??

Not necessarily. I like to record with one side of the headphone off my ear so that I can hear my voice as it actually sounds. In the on-ear side I listen to any pre-recorded track. I get no latency that was ans I can add effects as I want later.
I just recently got a MOTU 896 and it will let me add 0 latency effects that are built inot the unit, but I have yet to really use it.