Recording mic

Which one?

For a few years I’ve been recording with a selection of stage mics (I mainly use a Shure PG58), but now I’m at the point where I want to buy a mic specifically dedicated to recording.
Trouble is which one? There are so many being touted on various websites.
What do you use or what would you use? I don’t want to spend more than $500 or so. Is it feasible to get something for that?
Sweetwater are advertising the AKG 3000B for $349.97. Anyone use it?
Thanks in advance,
Ian

Checkout Rode mics, you won’t be dissapointed especially compared to the PG58.

For that budget you could afford the Rode NTK tube mic, but possibly you might be better off getting an LDC (such as the NT1A) and a small diaphram condenser such at the NT3.

You don’t state your exact application (vocals, guitar, drums?), but with a SDC and and LDC you are making a good start for vox, and instruments.

While you are at it you might want to lash out on a matched pair of Karma K-micro mics for a staggering $30. See http://ntrack.com/cgi-bin/ikonforum/index.cgi?act=ST;f=3;t=7088

What preamp are you using? You’ll need something with phantom power for most condenser mics.

Thanks Mark,

I’m using it for vox and running it through a Eurorack mixer with phantom.

Cheers,
Ian

By all means, if you can, try out the NTK. I got one used for 350 USA dollars. Everything is good through it, except bass amps.

Bruffie,

Another thing you might consider… the Rode NT1A AND a Studio Projects VTB-1 pre-amp. With that combination, along with your current mic collection, you could really step up a notch without spending a fortune.

Something to consider…

D

PS BTW, I still consider the NT-1 and NT-1A to be THE bargain of the decade as far as LDC’s go…

For vocals, if you have the budget, the Røde NTK. I also have an AKG C4000B which is a classy piece of kit but I just like that creamy tube sound on voices.

Ive got this mic and it’s awesome. It sounds great on everything. I actually paid 219 for it and it went down in price to the 149 it’s at now. I havent tried the CTM100 but I bet it’s pretty sweet too, and at about half the price of the Rode. I also have a couple of their pencil condensers in the drum set (no longer available individually unfortunately) and they do a nice job as well. I haven’t tried any of the other brands mentioned in this thread, so I can’t really compare, but I did A/B the pencil condensers against a set of Neumanns, and the Neumanns were better (at $1500/pair they better be) but there wasnt a huge difference.

i dont think ya can go wrong with akg ,so now that ya have 5 different opinions,why not have one more.i got this one and ive recorded acoustic stuff with it so far,guitar mandolin and acoustic bass,it sure made a difference compared to like my 57 and 58, especialy in the acoustic bass recording,im happy with it,its my first condenserakg perception200

Hi Bruffie:

It seems as though there are a thousand microphones available to buy now…
They range from next to nothing to more than you think a microphone is really worth…

When you think you have too many mics and what would you need another one for ???? you spring for that must-have mic cause you heard someone created this magic track with this unheard of mic and everybody needs this mic to see what they are missing…

If you got that Sweetwater Catalogue in your package…
then go to page 200 of the catalogue and have a look at that E/V RE 20 mic…
I think they are looking for some 400.00 USD for it…
I know you gotta start somewhere, but If I was buying another mic today and I had $400.00 beans to spend I’d be looking pretty hard at that mic…

After you got a drawer full of some standard mics in your collection then you might want to branch out and start spending money on expanding your collection on some esoterical mics…
I’d think about that E/V RE 20 mic …
OR that SENNHEISER MD 421 11 mic on page 208…
for $349.00

Yea gotta start somewhere…

I wish I had a bucket full of loonies to blow on some microphones…
instead of blowing it out the smokestack on Heating fuel…

Well…

I think my priorities are all screwed up…
:laugh:

Bill…

Quote:

instead of blowing it out the smokestack on Heating fuel..

Bill:

Man, you need to move to South Carolina. It was 68 degrees today... Had to cut the A/C on upstairs about 3:30 this afternoon.

All the best,
Iplan

Hi Iplan:

Don’t tempt me…
:laugh:

Up here Ottawa is talking this Kyoto Accord…
Big Time…
The Government is planning to tax people according to how much CARBON Emissions they produce.
It doesn’t matter how you make heat.
Most of it goes out the stacks as Carbon emissions…
So…
most of us Canucks are gonna pay for it one-way-or-another…

I’m seriously looking at the Dutch Antilles…
They are a series of islands off the north coast of South America…
The average daytime temperatures are 80-85 daytime and 75-77 at night…
I’m not sure if I can take that day-in and day-out…
I think it rains a little bit at night…

One of the main industries of one of the islands is…
They flood low-lying fields with sea water and they produce Sea Salt by evaporating the water from the flood plains…

I think the island is called Bonnaire…

Bill…

[EDIT]
I forgot what I was gonna add… The Carolinas are very popular amongst many of the Maritimers up here in these parts… They are more-or-less right on the “so-called” “Frost Line”, depending on how far north-or-south OR inland from the coast you call home… I’ve not spent much time over there… However, I’ve been up-and-down the I-95 a few times in January/February, a few years back…

Hey, it was 62 degrees F. in Michigan today.
Freaky.
It’s supposed to be 20 F.

[and a chant begins to swell from the crowd: NTK - NTK - NTK - NTK - NTK - NTK…]
???

Quote:

After you got a drawer full of some standard mics in your collection then you might want to branch out and start spending money on expanding your collection on some esoterical mics..
I'd think about that E/V RE 20 mic ..
OR that SENNHEISER MD 421 11 mic on page 208..
for $349.00

I second the MD 421 - that's one of the best mics I've ever heard and very versatile. Of course, we're in a different price category now, and you could get a couple of the Carvins for that price, but it is a great mic.