Recording Multiple tracks simultaneously

M-audio mobilepre USB or Fasttrack USB

Hi Trackers,

Newby questions:

- Will I be able to record Multiple tracks simultaneously with forementioned M-audio soundcards in Ntracks?
I like to record my band with to mic’s and my bass separate through DI-out of my amp. Will this be possible with the M-audio Mobilepre USB?

- Will the lower resolution of 16 bits of the mobilepre USB be audible compared to the 24 bits resolution of the Fasttrack USB?

Thanks in advance,

Remco

- Will I be able to record Multiple tracks simultaneously with forementioned M-audio soundcards in Ntracks?
Yes ... 2 mono tracks at a time or 1 stereo.

- Will the lower resolution of 16 bits of the mobilepre USB be audible compared to the 24 bits resolution of the Fasttrack USB?
This all depends on the rest of your signal chain and how you take advantage of the dynamic range offered by the different bit depths.
In short, if you can go with a 24 bit interface .... do it.
24 bits will offer a far greater dynamic range and you don't have to worry about keeping your source signal as hot as possible.
At 24 bits, you can theoretically track with peak levels of -48db and still have the same dynamic range as that of 16 bits.

HTH

-Ken

Thanks, Ken

So when I want to record my band with two mic’s and my bass separate through DI-out of my amp. (Thus ending up with three tracks) what do I need extra? An extra usb soundcard? I dont want to put a mixer in front of the soundcard 'cause that does not leave me the option of three mixable tracks.

Thanks,

Remco

Here is a Maya 44 card with 4 Mono inputs. This is just an example, I have never used this card and I don’t have any opinion about it one way or the other.

http://www.audiotrak.net/maya44usb.htm

With most mixers, you can get 2 tracks out of your Line out or Tape out by panning one channel Left, the other right. You can also often get at least one more isolated mono channel by using your Effects send as an output. I think with my particular mixer, if I cut an internal jumper, I can get a 4th output channel.

Doug

Well in essence, to get multiple simultaneous tracks … you need an interface/soundcard that offers the amount of input channels you need/desire.
Depending on the soundcards, their drivers and the ability to sync them, you may be able to use more than one soundcard to offer the additional I/O.
How well this would work with USB … ??? I haven’t the foggiest idea. I think it would be more trouble than it’s worth.
Is there a specific reason for using a USB device?
There are far greater I/O options for an interface if you move to FireWire or PCI.

so nijkamp22,

Are you talking about using a laptop or desktop?

This recording setup should be portable, so i’m talking about a laptop.

Thanks for replies so far.

Remco

Well, depending on what you can swing for your budget, you may be able to get an interface that offers a greater amount of I/O.
However, just about any mobile device is going to be at least twice the price of those two M-Audio USB options.