Recording using mixer

Different approaches

Hello,

I am currently using a Delta 1010 sound card and Mackie 1604 for the main components of my studio. I use the preamps on the Mackie for all of my recording. I use the direct outs on the Mackie and connect those to the ins on the Delta. The Delta outs are then routed back to channels 9-16 on the mixer for playback and mixing.

I have been thinking about acquiring outboard preamps and connecting them directly into the ins on the Delta and bypassing the Mackie. My intent is to improve the recording sound quality by using better preamps and going directly to the sound card. I really don’t have any good quality outboard preamps right now to see what difference it would make in the sound quality. So, before I started down this path I wanted to get some feedback from anyone who has done the same thing I am thinking of doing. Did it make a significant difference.

I realize that “sound quality” and “significant difference” are very subjective terms but I am just looking for some feedback here.

Thanks in advance.

Mitch

I always thought Mackie made good quality mixers.

I don’t see how you would loose any “quality” going from a low noise mixer directly into a delta. (other than the whole balanced, unbalanced issue if there is one)
I’ve never heard that Mackies preamps are any less than they could be.
You didn’t say specifically what instruments you were using that required preamps did ya?

Now if you were using a guitar for instance there certainly are good tube preamps one could by for little deniaro, but there would be no reason to not use the Mackie to control the equalization since some of the little preamp jobbers don’t have a whole lot of nobs on them.
Likewise the same could be said for tube mics, which often come with their own preamp/power supply.

I would use a preamp to give you the warmth and effect you desire for particular instruments (if you are not happy with the ones in the Mackie) and the mixer (provided it is not producing any hiss or hum…)
for the rest of controlling the signal along with monitoring…

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Thanks for your reply JeremyDemo. I actually did some comparison recording today just to see if I could “any” difference in an outboard preamp and my Mackie preamps. I do have a little one channel Presonus Tubepre that I used for comparison.

First I recorded some guitar strumming through the Mackie in my normal recording process as previously describe. I then recorded the same guitar “stuff” using the Presonus as a DI and connecting the out on the Presonus directly to the IN on my Delta card. Surprisingly it did sound better on the Presonus. The sound through the Mackie was darker. I added no EQ or anything from the Mackie and tried to keep the levels exactly the same.

I know it’s not a scientific test but it did give me some comparison. I’ll continue to do some testing and see what I find out.

Mitch

Quote: (audioman50 @ Jan. 21 2008, 6:52 PM)

Thanks for your reply JeremyDemo. I actually did some comparison recording today just to see if I could "any" difference in an outboard preamp and my Mackie preamps. I do have a little one channel Presonus Tubepre that I used for comparison.

First I recorded some guitar strumming through the Mackie in my normal recording process as previously describe. I then recorded the same guitar "stuff" using the Presonus as a DI and connecting the out on the Presonus directly to the IN on my Delta card. Surprisingly it did sound better on the Presonus. The sound through the Mackie was darker. I added no EQ or anything from the Mackie and tried to keep the levels exactly the same.

I know it's not a scientific test but it did give me some comparison. I'll continue to do some testing and see what I find out.

Mitch

I think the difference (you may be hearing at least) might be the preamp itself since it is tube and the mixer preamps most likely are not.
As you said the term "quality" is subjective, but you looking for a particular "sound" or "warmth" which the Presonus is adding that the built in preamps on the Mackie do not.
Have you tried using the Presonus through the Mackie?
Maybe instead of using the direct input for instruments on the Mackie with the preamps just using one of the other aux channel ins bypassing the built in preamps?
Also have you tried using the XLR out on the presonus to the Mackie? that is showing up as a "balanced" output.

The mixer shouldn't "do" anything to the signal but let it pass through to the delta. That is why I was wondering if you are using the balanced or unbalanced outs and ins on it?

Many people suggest switching the tube out for a 5751 it has been said the factory tubes that come with it produce noise.

keep shinin'

jerm :cool: