Recording with 2 soundcards

Monitoring through one. Is it possible?

Hi all. This is probably another entry in the “Dazza’s Book of Stupid and Obvious Home Recording Questions,” but, if I use two soundcards, can I monitor both of them through the output of one. I’ve had a bit of a play around, but can’t see how I can. I have an Audigy SE as my main card, but would also like to enable the onboard sound for the purpose of recording some “acoustic guitar and voice” tracks. But at the moment, I can only hear what’s going into the Audigy. Any help appreciated. Cheers, Daz

You should be able to select the (multiple) devices you want to record through, and then select only one device for output, all in the preferences… Should work

Groovy, I’ll give that a try. Cheers, Daz

Monitoring may be the least of your problems. Unfortunately you’re likely to run into sync problems between the tracks recorded on the two cards. This is due to the tolerances in the clock circuits on the two cards causing the tracks to drift by a few milliseconds over a few minutes. Only a tiny bit but certainly noticeable.

There are some techniques to prevent this - hacking the cards to connect the clock circuit on one card to the other, or syncing the cards using S/PDIF. Or there is a technique with SB Live! cards (and the KX drivers) that allows you to route the digital outs of one card into the digital ins on the other.

Or you may get lucky… Try an experiment. Set a drum machine or similar on a click or simple beat. Run it into an input on both cards so both are recording the same thing. Record 5 or 10 minutes of the click, and then navigate to the ends of the tracks and xoom right in to see how far apart they are.

At the end of the day though, 4 input cards are getting pretty cheap nowadays. Check out the Delta 44 for example.

But something in your question makes me think:

<!–QuoteBegin>

for the purpose of recording some "acoustic guitar and voice

You are aware that you can already record two mono tracks with one card? ie voice on one and guitar on the other. If so then you have sufficient capability with your current gear.

Sorry to not answer your question.

HTH

Mark

It seems I follow Mark around - can you tell who’s timezones are close to each other ? :p

I was about to ask the same thing.

In the old days (pre full duplex cards) you had to sometimes do something like that, but nowadays you can do with one card.

Just to set myself straight - you want to record a guitar, and then play back the guitar while recording a vocal with it ?

If that’s the case then you need only one soundcard.

Audigy is more than what you need…

W

Hi, Mark, you said “You are aware that you can already record two mono tracks with one card? ie voice on one and guitar on the other. If so then you have sufficient capability with your current gear.” Care to inform an ignoramus how to do this? :slight_smile:

Daz

The little hammer on the input VU meters will let you choose to record ‘stereo to two tracks’.

Then (if you use a mixer) you hardpan the guitar and voice hard left and right, and you end up with two mono tracks within N-track - seperate from each other.

HtH

W.

Yep.

The LINE-IN on your soundcard is stero, or if you look at it another way - 2 MONO inputs.

You need a cable that converts the mini stereo jack on the card input to two phono/jack/whatever plugs and then you plug guitar into one and voice inot the other. Set n-track to record to 2 mono tracks (click on the hammer on the recording VU) and away you go.

A small mixer makes things much easier and you will need some sort of preamp to connect a mic to the line in…

HTH

Mark

<!–QuoteBegin>

It seems I follow Mark around - can you tell who’s timezones are close to each other ?

I’ve heard you can learn a lot about paranoid people by following them around…

:D :D :D

(Still trying to figure out the geek joke; then I have to ask myself, why?)???

<!–QuoteBegin>

(Still trying to figure out the geek joke; then I have to ask myself, why?)???

What’s another name for a VW Beetle? And what do programmers say when a problem is found in their software?.. “It’s not a … it’s a …”