Reggae anyone?

Bob Marley meets The Outfield???

Hi gang,

As the title states, a sort of a reggae-ish tune. Written, recorded and mixed this afternoon - of course, comments are welcome - voice may be sort of annoying a la Geddy Lee - not normally my style.

Note Inspired by many work trips to the Caribbean with beer-soaked napkins complimented with pen strokes with ideas for this song.

The song is called "Gone forever more"

http://lachance.mooo.com/mp3s/gone_forever_more.mp3

Many cheers!

Danny boy

Gone forever more

nice mix of sounds, the vocal tended to be a little quiet in places for my ears, but that is purely subjective. When you consider that Sting’s singing was also invariably quiet then it is not an issue I guess. I liked the dynamics, good one. If you can knock up something like that in an afternoon, how about posting some of your other works. :D

Yeah, that’s pretty good, man! Nice engaging, bouncy tune. Balance was good, a good overall sound- pleasingly dense. The lyrics are a little alarming here and there, in the happy sounding music! I like the little bass sound in there- almost a sort of ‘Clav-ish’ vibe to it.

Are you using all n-Track plug-ins?

Hi Sloom,

No, I’m using some freeware plugins for compression, but also some of the Ntrack plugins like Reverb. Thanks for listening man!

Dan

Cool.

Like I commented on your Toto cover, this is all great stuff…

So tell us what you’re using. Keyboard, MIDI, real drums… come on,

I wouild also like to hear some more. :)

cliff
:cool:

G8torcliff,

Thank you for your posts - and your interest. You’ll laugh I’m sure at my gear:

My buddy Sean Dixon (bass player) played an unknown Acoustic guitar for the Toto cover.

Yamaha DX9 keyboard midi’d to my computer soundcard - using soundfonts with soundblaster Live soundcard.

Roland TD7 drum module and pads.
Tama Swingstar acoustic drums.
Most (not all) kick and snare are electric, hats and most cymbals always real.
1 Shure SM57 mic.
Zildjian cymbals.
Many Budweiser beers

Not exactly high-fidelity gear huh? Ha ha ha.

Where’s your music?? URL??

My URL: http://lachance.mooo.com

Sincerely,

Dan

So, as I suspected, its not about the gear… ???

cliff
:cool:

Sounds great.

As usual when posting for C+C on any forum, you’re going to get conflicting reports - some will like the vocal levels, some will want more bass, or whatever.

Anyway, I like it, vocals sit nicely to me, can hear everything in the mix. Sounds great really. I’d love to know what soundcard you’re recording with. You did the vocals with a 57?

Willy.

The thing that I really like here is that there is an actual song… like, you know, hooks, melody, arrangement… What pissed me off though is you get to the end and kinda stop. I wanted a stop for a measure, then drums KABOOM BLAM BOOM BLAM and into a rock out chorus then maybe fade out. Though, I guess you left me wanting more which may be a good thing. :;):

One note, the drums coul duse some work IMO. The snare and hats are very static dynamically which makes me think drum machine.

Thanks for the input folks,

I may change the arrangement around the end - not a bad idea.

The drums are all live, not a drum machine - I sppose they could use some more movement and dynamics - I’ll have to listen back to it sometime.

Yes, I always use an SM57 for recording vocals, only because it’s the only mic I have! Ha ha.

Dan

Perhaps too much compression on the drums? Just a thought.