Remaking PBS

PBS

Where’s the equal-time cartoon with caricatures of the previous incarnation of PBS??

To quote one of the great modern philosophers, “I don’t care who you are, that’s just funny”

Huh? Did I miss something?

Quote (Bubbagump @ May 17 2005,18:36)
Huh? Did I miss something?

Not really..........

TG

Yes you missed something - so have most of the people in the US - the repubs have replaced responsible journalists at PBS with republican functionaries.

Read Moyers on it:

http://www.tompaine.com/article…acy.php

Or - actually - watch the whole speeh - I caught it on Link TV a while back - well worth the time.

Sorry ksdb, but I gotta say: it’s truth vs. the repubs and truth is losing. :(

I’d sort of thought that PBS was the US equivalent of the “old” BBC.

When I was in the US recently, I saw that it consisted mostly of a fluffy purple crocodile, and an individual called Lawrence Whelk, (although he looked nothing like a shellfish of any sort. Well, not entirely).

I also noticed, that despite being “commercial free”, every programme was preceded by what I… in my ignorance… would call, “commercials”.

Is there another PBS? ???

However, having said all that, it still seems that the purple crocodile and Mr Shellfish were aiming their programmes at an intellectual level substantially higher than Fox or any of the other networks.

So, if PBS has undergone “conformity adjustment”, it would be a shame.

Ali

"How the quest for America’s black gold can lead us closer to God."

Hahahahahaha. That was funny.

PBS, hmmm, actually it is the old BBC, since all it shows on the weekends are old British sitcoms. And Lawrence of Arabiawelk. OK, tank yous boys, and a one and a two,

Welp, All I can add to this is…

PBS is a true asset to the US.
It’s the only station where local musicians can get free airtime. And it supports freedom of speech and non-bias news broadcast. Anyone with the time, and resorces can get a slot(at least here in Pa) to express there veiws on anything, without all the guidelines the Network media has to follow.
The programing is not really worth complaining about, since it’s up to the veiwers to support the show’s they like. So if there’s anything to be said about PBS’s constant use of BBC classics, that must indicate to me that there’s alot of BBC fans here in the states, not necc. a bad thing.
I was a huge fan of Dotor Who, in my teens…don’t stay up late enough to watch it any more i guess 'cause i haven’t seen it in a while. My favorite was Tom Baker–of course!
I see any change in PBS implimented by the gov. as a negative occurance. Possibly yet another attempt by our gov. to silence the free thinkers, and tighten it’s grip on our dwindeling freedoms…
:angry:

jerm

Quote (TomS @ May 17 2005,19:18)
Sorry ksdb, but I gotta say: it’s truth vs. the repubs and truth is losing. :(

Maybe a good old-fashioned filibuster would be in order. :)

We’ll see, we’ll see! At least we live in interesting times! :)

Al I gotsa say is :( . PBS is 3/4s of my TV watching. (Front line, Wide Angle, NOW, the cooking/nature stuff, etc. etc.) I have noticed Bill Moyers is out and some new shows are in (The dude with the bow tie). I just hope it doesn’t get turned into a political football at the cost of programming.

Ya get past PBS, The History Channel, Discovery and TLC the rest of TV SUX! Big time. What a waste…

TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

(The dude with the bow tie).

Tucker Carlson - A right wing schill.

.-=gp=-.
Quote (chutz @ May 18 2005,14:40)
Tucker Carlson - A right wing schill.

I actually kind of like Tucker Carlson. He's obviously very biased, but also very entertaining - and maybe a little more rational and open-minded than most of the pundits on the right.

Quote (Bubbagump @ May 18 2005,11:08)
Al I gotsa say is :( . PBS is 3/4s of my TV watching. (Front line, Wide Angle, NOW, the cooking/nature stuff, etc. etc.) I have noticed Bill Moyers is out and some new shows are in (The dude with the bow tie). I just hope it doesn’t get turned into a political football at the cost of programming.

Go read the text of the speech by Moyers - Carlson is in and Moyers is out (he has been retired for 6 months) precisely because the repubs wanted it to happen. You are already experiencing the programming costs of its politicization. Just wait, just wait, things are going to get lots worse.

:D

There is one bright spot - LINK TV.

Frank put it the best about TV.

“I am the slime from your video, can’t stop the slime people look at me go”

:p

Quote (YazMiester @ May 19 2005,06:57)
Frank put it the best about TV.

"I am the slime from your video, can’t stop the slime people look at me go"

:p

Yep. Frank was a pretty wise fella eh?

“Shaddup, turn OFF the TV and play your guitar!” :D

TG