Reverb on drums

Salutations fellow N-Trackers

I’ve been creating my own drum loops with Tom Hicks samples and I love the sound.

However to fit them in the mix, Im trying to get the a little of overhead mic’ing sound of my loops…almost like a live small club feel but not so reverby.

Anyone know a good reverb technique to accomplish this? I’m a little frustrated after trying days to get that sound.

TIA

Do you have SIR yet? If not, go get it. Then Go to Noise Vault and download all the Lexicon and TC Electronic impulses that you can get your hands on. Then, load up a nice impulse into SIR for the type fo room you want in an aux channel. Set SIR to 100% wet. Then, maybe send your drums tracks to a group and send that group to the aux send or just send the tracks individually to the aux. Maybe use SIR’s built in EQ to EQ out some of the low end of the reverb. Voila, reverb.

Also - you might try adding a bit of pre-delay to the reverb depending on the impulse - most are set at the beginning of the impulse which is not realistic. Think about how far the sound travels to either overhead or room mics. :)

TomS

My system cant handle SIR heh :slight_smile:
Im using Classic Reverb…it sounds marvelous on my guitar piano and violin.

Ill have to try the pre-delay settings tonight :slight_smile:

My system cant handle SIR heh :-)

Any sistem can handle SIR offline, and in realtime, it depends of the size of the wav file you load, i think. Maybe you can try with not very big impulses. Also try check "dynamic use of cpu" under SIR preferences.
Anyway, the kjaerhus one is nice.

Marce

I love those Classis plugs…all of them.
There were some instances on my piano where I hit the keys a little too hard and the limiter softly limited the peaks nicely with a rounded warmth.

The compressor on my vocals works nicely as well. And inserting the Flanger/Phaser/and Delay on Aux while my violin tracks is feeding to it panned left/right really added a nice e-bowish haunt way back in the mix. Im really loving the production side of making music. :;):

Quote (marce @ Dec. 02 2004,10:03)
My system cant handle SIR heh :-)

Any sistem can handle SIR offline, and in realtime, it depends of the size of the wav file you load, i think. Maybe you can try with not very big impulses. Also try check "dynamic use of cpu" under SIR preferences.
Anyway, the kjaerhus one is nice.
Yes, and you would want a smaller impulse on the drums anyway. Something short to add "air."

What are you running n-Track on, Wanderer?

where is SIR?:(

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

then go to noisevault.com for impulses. Start with the lexicon ones, perhaps the pcm 90 impulses, IMO. :)

Tom
On a old PII. Im lucky to get as much done I couldve with it as I have done lol
SIR is pushing it. Ive also heard about the latency issue regarding sample rates when used as a send effect.

Ive also heard about the latency issue regarding sample rates when used as a send effect.

N-track automatically compensates for this. It shouldn't be an issue.

Bubba
Im using N-Track 3.0
It doesnt have PDC

Time for an old analog days trick I used to use to get sequenced drums to sound like they were in a room…

I’d put a speaker in bottom of the shower facing a wall (not straight up) and two PZMs about a foot apart on ceiling. I’ve run just the parts of the drums that need the room sound into the speaker and use the PZMs as a stereo pair. This was done as mixdown so no tracks were used. Limiting and gating the PZMs could make these sound similar to the Phil Collins sound or just a little ambiance, which was what I was going for. The sound of the room could be controlled by putting blankets in the shower to absorb and reflective objects to break up the parallel walls of the shower (that was a major problem). I used an aluminum ladder with thick towels for the most part, then add the blanket at the speaker end, and THEN find the right amount of opening for the glass door. I changed it around a lot. It was not a good echo chamber, but was great for small room sounds. Most other mics will work, but I got best results with the PZMs. They were not integral to making this trick work.

OH…EQ what’s sent to the speaker before EQing what’s returned. This trick works for plug-in and most effects, too.

SIR is as close to this as I’ve seen, but I’m still not satisfied. That may be because of the impulses I have, or it may be that I have experimented with the settings enough. That said, SIR is what I use now.

SIR adds a very long latency and uses lots of resources. I suggest finding the sound you like from it and then make a submix of just the SIR wave output, then import that wave as another track and remove the plug-in.

No PDC, hoo boy. Are you sure 3.3 wouldn’t work? It’s a free upgrade. Man, I don’t know what I would do with out SIR. Still, even with the dynamic CPU it doesn’t work? My little world is beng crushed by the fact you can’t (or don’t think you can) run SIR. It is just so … free and sounds so good…

Bubba
I didnt know 3.3 was a free update

On the other hand…I am soooo resistant on altering my setup because … well … you know how it is with configuring :D

I have a lot of stuff recorded on v3.0…Im also afraid v3.3 will ravage all my work.

Tis ok…Ill have to live with the plugs I got

Thanks for the tips u guys. When I’m a little less strapped for cash…Ill have to update everything.

Just an FYI, when you buy N-track, you also get free upgrades for the life of the version. So you buy 3.0, you can upgrade to anything that is a version 3.x. But 4.0, you can upgrade to anything through 4.x for free.

Phoo’s right, you can find the sound you want, then do that old trick of rendering with it 100% wet and just adding that as another track.

Phoo, I really like the bathtub idea. In the end nothing is better than the real world, not even SIR. :)

The trick will work with any room, even dry, as long as it’s quiet in there and you can get a good stereo/binaural kind of recorded track out if it, but even mono can be useful. I have yet to try the speaker method in my current studio but there have been a few times I REALLY wanted the ambiance of a room without reverb on some existing recordings. Most recently (sample on another thread about drum mics) I squished flat with limiting a mono track that had most of the drums in it (an extra mic added to pick up everything up close) and mixed it in very low. It’s doing the trick. That’s almost the opposite of what close micing is intended to do – get rid of the background stuff. This intentionally brings it out. The only problem so far is that it’s mono, but that can be semi-fixed with fake stereo, and seems to sound ok because it is mixed in very low. This is nothing more than a variation on micing the drums at a distance to get the ambiance of the room. It’s not much good when working with sequenced stuff…back to the speaker method for that.