Rhyming and "english" music

My son proposed this question to me the other day after he had listened to some foreign language music. His question was: "Is rhyming more prevalent in English language songs or was I missing the rhymes in the foreign language stuff? 'Cause a rhyme is hard to miss and I swear there were not any!?"

I honestly don’t know the answer, and he had not a clue what language he was listening to, but I told him I was sure someone here would have a thing or two to say about the subject.

So as English - American - Aussie, etc. folks, are we more into rhyming lyric than Indian or Thai - German or whoever’s songs?

Play him this one Poppa. Language; Filipino, rhymes abound.Nosi Ba Lasi

I asked the dear lady if Filipino songs rhyme, she said “not always” :whistle: A tad ambiguous!

French songs tend to rhyme but don’t know about the more exotic languages.

Tried listening to one of my favorite songs which is in Japanese. Hmmm…not sure if it ryhmes or not :)
Tears

Not much here -

http://www.songsforteaching.com/french/parapluie/alouette.htm

Kind of a violent song (see english)

we THE BRITISH invented rhythm - or did it come from AFRICA ? - whatever ALL ANERICAN MUSIC is based on the two - most of your SO CALLED MUSIC eminates from Scotland and Ireland and your welcome to it - ha ha ha WE KEPT THE BEST FOR OURSELVES which you have been trying to copy for decades -

M.R.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Jan. 16 2009, 7:19 AM)

So as English - American - Aussie, etc. folks, are we more into rhyming lyric than Indian or Thai - German or whoever's songs?

Eyup!

I am fascinated by languages, but unable to speak any, apart from a little French and the curious thing about English is that it is actually a very bad language for constructing rhymes. French is much easier.

I think that it's just we are not used to listening to foreign language songs, let's face it, we are quite chauvinistic in that respect. English is such a rich language, but it is a devil's mash of many European tongues.

And then you Yanks got hold of it :whistle:

Steve

Depends on the language. Hebrew not typically. Arabic, lots. Gaelic and other Celtic languages depend on assonance instead. Then in Greek they use near rhyme and I don’t remember enough Homer to say much more other than I remember having to do a chapter on it in high school Ancient Greek and it sucked. Modern Greek, who knows.

I recall reading somewhere that rhyme was invented by the Greeks before they developed an alphabet as a means of remembering long passages for oratory performance. The writer stated that, because they could not rely on the written word, people in those audiences would remember verbatim about three quarters of what was said - although I have no clue how the writer could know that.

No sources to cite or anything - just something I remember reading (or, at least, I think I remember reading it)

EDIT -Isn’t Google amazing? this is the book I was referencing. - EDIT

Beyond you r reference, I remember that little tid bit myself now that you mention it. High school was so long ago…

Check this out - rhyming dictionaries for foreign languages.

http://www.alcor.com.au/rhyming_dictionary.asp

I used it to find a rhyme for "happy camper"
And it worked - I was able to find “crappy pamper”