RIP Gilligan

Little Buddy has gone to the great island in the sky…

That’s sad. Another sad death recently, Robert Funk, probably the most important New Testament scholar of the 20th - and perhaps even 21st - century. Story here:

http://www.westarinstitute.org/

Say it ain’t so man! Bummer. I used to rush off the school bus to be the first in the house and get the TV turned on to Gilligans Island.

TG

Bob was in Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem just 30 miles south of us. He was battling cancer for several years I think. My daughter is a nurse there but she didn’t know he was in. They kept the publicity down knowing he wasn’t going to make it.
I remember Bob first being in the old Dobie Gillis show. He played Maynard G. Krebbs. The beatnik who hated work!

R.I.P. Bob

RIP little buddy!

Thanks for all the years of laughter, and re-runs!

keep shinin’ on that island in the sky!

jerm :cool:

Quote (TomS @ Sep. 06 2005,19:42)
That's sad. Another sad death recently, Robert Funk, probably the most important New Testament scholar of the 20th - and perhaps even 21st - century. Story here:

http://www.westarinstitute.org/

That's a shame,

I think I have been to one of his seminars, truly enlightening.

RIP

Well, did you enjoy his take on the historical Jesus, and his criticisms of fundamentalism?

One assumes we are talking about an American TV programme here?

(Damm! Why do I always forget that this is not an international forum, but rather a purely American one. :( )

Ali

wHY OH wHY does it seem to bother you so much? :(

great question. lighten up peeps…feel free to start discussions on topics in your country.

<!–QuoteBegin>

wHY OH wHY does it seem to bother you so much?

Actually Ass’ole Poker; it bothers me not at all. Well, not nearly as much as your typographical illiteracy! :laugh:

Ali

Not only are we the center of the world - we lack a sense of humor about it, too, Ali.

:D

It’s not that I really care just seems like you like to point it out often. As for my sense of humour I thought Ass’ole Poker was pretty funny as I’m sure our friend Ali enjoys a little poking now and then…almost forgot :D

Quote (TomS @ Sep. 12 2005,12:04)
Well, did you enjoy his take on the historical Jesus, and his criticisms of fundamentalism?

Wow, it's been a while but I do enjoy criticism of fundemantalism.

As often with man, we take something beautiful and pure and turn it into something else.
I have no problem with people examining the words of Jesus and trying to find fault, for the truth is always flawless.
But when no fault is to be found, and someone still would rather find excuses not to beleive rather than exepting the love of God as a never ending presence on this earth...truly saddens me.
:(

Do I bang on about it that much Soul Toker?

I didn’t think so, but undoubtedly it appears so to you.

Then perhaps a wee question; am I justified in doing so?

Anyway, I apologise for my wee dig, but I fail to see why some people on here use pseudonyms when they post sometimes.

If you’ve got something to say, why not use the handle people are familiar with?

(There again, I can certainly empathise with the temptation to take the piss out of Toke! :D)

Ali

Quote (Guest @ Sep. 14 2005,20:39)
Quote (TomS @ Sep. 12 2005,12:04)

Wow, it’s been a while but I do enjoy criticism of fundemantalism.

As often with man, we take something beautiful and pure and turn it into something else.
I have no problem with people examining the words of Jesus and trying to find fault, for the truth is always flawless.
But when no fault is to be found, and someone still would rather find excuses not to beleive rather than exepting the love of God as a never ending presence on this earth…truly saddens me.
:(

Um…he wasn’t trying to find fault with what jesus said, although he was trying to find out what Jesus said. He was Christian, you know.

Perhaps you have mistaken the Jesus Seminar for some revivalist meeting? ???

No need to apologize my typing does suck… :D

I meant no offense Ali just kinda knee jerked that one…

Soul Toker
Jerry’s Dead
Deadlynake

Sean

Quote (SOULTOKER @ Sep. 15 2005,08:45)
Soul Toker
Jerry's Dead
Deadlynake

Sean

AHA! :D

Where’s IDIOT SLAPPER when you need him…her…whatever? :)