RIP Johnny Carson

Carnac the Magnificent gone…

I loved watching The Tonight Show with Johnny, Ed, Doc and all the gang. Like many things, the replacements have just not been the same…

RIP Mr. Carson

TG

I heard Tony Bennett tell a Johnny Carson story this morning. It seems that Bob Newhart was showing Johnny around his new, hotel sized home. After Bob gave Johnny the tour, Bob asked," What do you think?". Johnny replied, “Where’s the gift shop?”.

Gotta love that wit.

Mike

Seriously, Johnny was great & one of a kind but was he the cause of Americans not getting enough sleep? I mean I hardly ever stayed up that late, even when I was foot loose & fancy free.

Mr Soul

Quote (Mr Soul @ Jan. 24 2005,11:03)
Seriously, Johnny was great & one of a kind but was he the cause of Americans not getting enough sleep? I mean I hardly ever stayed up that late, even when I was foot loose & fancy free.

Mr Soul

That late? I almost never go to bed that early....

:;):

Mike

Mr Soul

naw, pretty sure it is a "vast right wing conspiracy" that is keeping us up at night...

Mr Soul

You should have left out the "seriously" and everything after "one of a kind". Oh...my....God. Do you look for the dark side of EVERYTHING?

Johnny Carson was the king of late night tv. Still is, as far as most folks think....NOBODY else has come even close, not Leno, not Letterman (much as I love Letterman), not Conan, none of them. Carson was king. And 11:30 p.m. is not late.

How sad it must be to be you and see the evils and grand conspiricies in everything you read or hear. Sometimes you've just got to go with "yep, he was great and will be sorely missed" and forget about the "but".

I look for the “real” side of everything :laugh:. 11:30 PM is late for this country boy. I liked Carson but I rarely saw his show.

I liked Carson but I rarely saw his show.
That explains a lot. He single handly kept me awake until one AM virtualy every night of my high school and later years. It wasn't until I took a job as a full time musician did I not get to watch.

Tiny Tim's wedding...Buddy Rich every few weeks...Doc and the band every night...nothing compares these days. Nothing.
Quote (phoo @ Jan. 24 2005,15:16)
Tiny Tim's wedding...Buddy Rich every few weeks...Doc and the band every night...nothing compares these days. Nothing.

You nailed it phoo. Everybody else has just been wanna-be's. Even THEY admit it.

TG
That explains a lot. He single handly kept me awake until one AM virtualy every night of my high school and later years.
Hey phoo - you're right. How were your grades in high school? Were you tired during the day? Did you play sports?
  • deleted *
Hey phoo - you're right. How were your grades in high school? Were you tired during the day? Did you play sports?
Grades were crap, but not because of that. I've never studied in my life, except for the seventh grade, and I wasn't about to start then. I didn't see the point in getting good grades when I'd graduate with D's along side the folks with A's. The only difference was they got into better collages than I would, but I was accepted at NCSU but then didn't go because I was interested in electronic NOW and I wasn't going to do any electronics until the second year if I went to NC State....so I went to Tech school instead and gat all the same electronics classes with having to take all that other crap I wasn't interested at the time.

I repeated the 7th grade because they said I was immature for my age, and not because I was behind in any work (that's still a major problem). That taught me that studying was a lost cause as long as I knew the info well enough to pass, which was a D. They wouldhave kept meback that year no matter what my grades were.

I graduated 298th out of 555 seniors without ever opening a book at home, and won the "Art 4 Award" for being the best artist in the school, which got me an invitation to NC Governor's School for Art (which I didn't bother with since I was drumming and noit into art anymore).

I was on the track team until I got sick in the 9th grade and had to drop out for a year. I never rejoined, mostly because I was drumming by then. I started playing in clubs on weekends, but occasionally during the week, when I was in the 10th grade, while under age.

Was I tired during the day? Not really. Bed at one or later -- up around 7 or so. That's about what I do now. The only reason more than 6 hours was needed was to sleep off hangovers when I was drinking. :)
Quote (Mr Soul @ Jan. 24 2005,15:04)
I look for the "real" side of everything

Mule muffins. You look for every little item you can find to incite controversy and arguments and if you can't find one, you'll just make something up.

Forgive me, you're right. Carson, Dick Cavett, Joey Bishop, Jack Paar, Steve Allen, David Letterman, et al all conspired to "keep Americans awake at night so they're worn out too much to really worry about what was going on in the political arena and then OUR party will get it's way". That's why ALL these guys made a living making fun of whatever president was in office at the time.

What a gulli-bull. What a maroon. What an ultra-maroon. I repeat - how sad it must be to be you.

Geez…I’m sorry I posted this now. I just wanted to show the man some respect. Not open the door to another forum fight…

TG

Quote (gtr4him @ Jan. 24 2005,17:47)
Geez.....I'm sorry I posted this now. I just wanted to show the man some respect. Not open the door to another forum fight........

TG

No worries, TG. Mr. Soul's original comment just rubbed me the wrong way. "....but was he the cause of Americans not getting enough sleep? " I mean, really....what does this have to do with anything?

I find him to be an annoyance that needs to be slapped down once in a while when he shows his true colors, which, unfortunately, is most of the time. Also unfortunately, he won't recognize that.

Sorry if I offended you, TG....but I still think his original comment was unwarranted and unnecessary and merited somebody saying so.

Mr. Idiot S, you’ve completely mis-construed my original statements & intentions. I merely put forth the idea that perhaps late night TV was partially at fault for Americans not getting enough sleep. I didn’t say it was a conspiracy or anything. To be honest with you, I never even thought of it until today. If people want to stay up that late, it’s their business.

Every study I’ve seen says you should get at LEAST 7 - 8 hours a night. I know I feel like crap if I don’t. I never stayed up that late during high school because I would have died in school, plus my parents weren’t night owls either.

These days I would give anything for a good night’s sleep. Usually I sleep pretty well but it’s not a given. And don’t worry - I wouldn’t want anyone else to be me either, however, I have a very good life I might add.

A rested Mr Soul

PS - my parent’s wouldn’t let me play in bars until I was 18. I hated them then but now I’m glad I had those parents. :laugh:

PPS - are you going to let your kids stay up till 12 - 1AM while they’re in High School, because I surely don’t want mine to?

Morning all :)

Toke, I’m glad to see that you’re a responsible parent. But, being serious for once, I never thought otherwise.

I was too, (I hope). I insisted they walk 2 miles every day.

Health and regular activity are important for growing children.

And more importantly, at the end of the month, the ‘wee bastards’ were over 60 miles away, and getting further away every day! :D

Ali

Here’s another topic started as one thing and turns into dog turds before the second page. Jeesh.

There goes Johnny, RIP dude.