rough mix

fishing for opinions/suggestions

Hey all,

This track is unfinished (ie vocals are yet to be tracked and missing some guitar parts) so the mix is still rough, but this around the sound I think I’m heading towards.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions/critisisms etc.

Brawn to the Brawl
http://www.soundclick.com/Wingadee

Cheers :slight_smile:

The link just takes me to the nTrack site!

Craig

Wingadee

Very tight performance - nice blend of complimenting tones on guitar. Bass is nice and round - nice drum work. Pretty cool actually - and I don’t usually care for this style - you pulled it off!

One of the guitars really needs some shielding work though… hmmm city.

:agree:

Duh…why didn’t I realise that the web address was there… :;):

Way cool. I like it. I just need to be driving around 100mph with it on FULL BLAST to get the full effect.

Can’t say anything really apart from the shielding.

Nice piece.

The low end is yucky… you have some tubbyness somewhere… probably 120 hz maybe? Makes the whole thing muffled and boomy and not in a good way. The mix over all lacks sparkle. A little compression on the overheads will add some high end from the cymbals perhaps.

To deal with the hum, you can just do some volume evolutions when the full stops come - rest of the time I didn’t notice it - but then I’m listening on some pretty bad headphones.

Is there a vocal for it?

Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 03 2008, 4:30 PM)

To deal with the hum, you can just do some volume evolutions when the full stops come

Use a gate and make it easy.
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 03 2008, 8:21 AM)

One of the guitars really needs some shielding work though.. hmmm city.

Not too sure what you mean by shielding. I am still kinda a newb so don't really get a lot of the terminology
:embarassed:

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Nov. 03 2008, 11:53 AM)

The low end is yucky... you have some tubbyness somewhere... probably 120 hz maybe? Makes the whole thing muffled and boomy and not in a good way. The mix over all lacks sparkle. A little compression on the overheads will add some high end from the cymbals perhaps.

Yeah after playing it through a few different speaker sets I have to agree. I shall look into it

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input :)

Shielding is what keeps an instrument from humming. The hum at the beginning of the recording is what that is. Might be the guitar pick-ups or a bad chord. Strats usually have noticeable hum like that in at least two switch positions.

If you are using a CRT monitor and not an LCD flat-panel, the CRT can REALLY shoot the hum into guitar pickups. Memorize the keyboard shortcuts and turn the monitor off while recording noisy guitars. It also helps to turn the guitar perpendicular to the CRT…

D

Don’t worry about the hum too much if your tone is good. I say this as some things like Strats and anything with a P90 are gonna hum like a sumbitch… (though the perpendicular trick can reduce the hum somewhat.) Just use a noise gate and clean up the track after the fact.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 03 2008, 7:37 PM)

Shielding is what keeps an instrument from humming. The hum at the beginning of the recording is what that is. Might be the guitar pick-ups or a bad chord. Strats usually have noticeable hum like that in at least two switch positions.

Ahh with ya now. The hum is mostly due to a somewhat noisy valve amp, which gets considerably worse the longer the cable run. In this case it's about 60 or so feet from guitar to amp. In attemp to combat the issue I've balanced the majority of the run by placing a DI at each end. It helps, but still could be better. Any suggestions on a better way to achieve this?