S.I.R. is offically no longer..

S.I. R. has merged with

Subject: SIR Newsletter April 2005

> Hello SIR-Users and Convolution enthusiasts,
>
> as already announced i like to inform you with this Newsletter
> about the things which I did the last months.
>
> Approx. 1 year ago i got the offer of the company Wizoo to
> cooperate in one of their products.
>
> It is about a room emulator plugin which combines the
> advantages of classical reverbration algorithms on high level
> with the strengths of impulse response based reverb generation.
>
> Wizooverb is a complete new development, for which among other
> things a completely new technology was developed for surround
> abilities.
>
> I developed therefor a module, which integrates itself
> seamless into this new product. It's responsible for
> the integration of impulse responses.
>
> This activity is 100% independent to the software SIR.
>
> I would like to invite you to check Wizooverb to make your own
> impression of its IMHO amazing abilities.
>
> For more information please visit http://www.wizoo.com .
>
> Best regards
>
> Christian Knufinke

I am on their mailing list.. It appears that S.I.R. as we know it is no longer.. Christian Knufinke, has moved onward and upward.. It's really tough to stay in tune with the, Day-to-Day,... goings-on in cyber.. :O ???

I tried the wizoo link, but here, on my end, it appears "Broken"..

Bill..

[EDIT]
Good Luck to Christian Knufinke, whever this endever, takes him.. :;):

Yow !!

But you can still find it here:

www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

That’s his site, so it’s there officially. But you might want to pull it fast, in case it does disappear!

Thanks for the heads up.
Jeff

:( :( :(

Bill, are you sure he’s quitting SIR development? From the newsletter, it sounds like he’s plugging the new product he’s working on, but I don’t see anything that sounds like he’s completely abandoning SIR. Am I missing something?

Tony

I read it the same way as Tony. ???

me too! Looks like he’s getting paid for his labour, but I see nothing about SIR being dropped…

Just getting the latest version anyway :D

DSP

Yesterday, Wednesday… I mailed him a note to ask him if the link to his Page was working… On my end, I was unable to Open it up… He mailed me back today, Thursday, to say his page was working… I confirmed it was and replied to his mail… I was saddened, by the fact is , that he has merged with someone else… I think his page will stand… I think what prompted this merger is… And this is just my opinon…

He has developed a way to present “Little-or-No Latency” to Impluse Response Hostes…

In my mind, that is a “Break-Through”… in all this New Technolegy… < spelling…lol…

This is one clever dude…

Bill…

Bill, using convolution technology, there is no way to avoid the latency. The latency is dictated by the filter kernel. The filter kernel is built by processing the impulse recording, and you have flexibility there to make a longer (more accurate) or shorter (less accurate) kernel. Also, I bet that different algorithms for creating the kernel are possible. So, he may have made an advance that builds a better, shorter kernel for most impulse recordings. But from what you post above, he’s using convolution technology in combination with modelling echoes and refraction to get a better reverb. Well, it might indeed have lower latency!

The developer has said that he has been working on a zero latency version. For about a year now. I don’t know anythign about the programming involved, but it would be quite a feat, wouldn’t it?

Zero-latency is inherently impossible using a convolution model, so evidently he was working on a different model. It’s not so much about “programming” as the underlying mathmatical model, as described in Hamming’s book “Digital Filters”.

Then again, theorists often make a case why “x is impossible”, until someone does x. Then the theorist says, "Well, you did something a bit different, so my argument was valid, you just got around the inherent limitation!"

Rocktry fans may know of all the papers that were published in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s, up to when Sputnik was launched, proving that space travel was impossible with fuels of the day. The usual argument was that no fuel had enough energy to lift its own weight into orbit. That statement was true (and may still be, ignoring nukes). The fallacy was that no fuel NEEDS to lift ALL of itself into orbit – it only has to get the payload up there. Most of the fuel is gone by then! But the pundits kept publish their “Can’t happen” papers. Until Sputnik shut them up, of course.

I will be very happy if SIRman shuts me up about zero-latency convolutions! :)

Hi Jeff:
I like the Sputnik annalogedy… Good one… lol…

I’ve not been around the Noisevault Board for a while… I gonna peek around over there to see just what the Noisevaulters are saying about it…

There is some clever boys over there manufactuering I.R. Samples, and all… Some of them are quite annalytical, with their Maths, and all, when it comes to makeing Spikes…

You see, it’s not so much as the end result that challenges them, it’s what happens, to the Spikes, as the Samples are created… Some of them are a Strange Lot, over there… ??? :laugh:

Same goes with the bunch that reside around here… Well… :p Keep up the good work, guys… :;):

Bill…

bah…its always the good public domain stuff that closes down

either way…SIR had a great run…i wish the author well on his new endeavors. :(

Rocktry fans may know of all the papers that were published in the late 1800's and early 1900's, up to when Sputnik was launched, proving that space travel was impossible with fuels of the day. The usual argument was that no fuel had enough energy to lift its own weight into orbit. That statement was true (and may still be, ignoring nukes).

Sorry, Jeff, but you're way off-line with this one.

TV viewers who are old enough will recall the NASA 60's documentary series called "Lost in Space".

The space craft in that series, The Jupiter 2, was powered by coal, (anthracite to be exact).

The coal was stored in a bogey that was tethered behind the main spaceship by a long rope.

How it worked was; Jupiter 2 launched itself into a low orbit, then, whilst in a stable orbit, the coal-filled bogey was hauled up from the surface, refuelling took place, then up to a higher orbit, and so on.

Viewers may recall that the reason Doctor Smith rebelled, was not only that he had the job of stoking the boilers, but he was also the one who had to hand-pull the bogey up each time.

Incidentally, the robot, (who in a very Zen way was called "Robot") was powered by wood, (maple logs I seem to recall).

So Jeff, as much as we admire your music/recording expertise, in future please leave astrophysics to the experts.

:D

I can almost see Buck Rogers Smiling with all that…

The space craft in that series, The Jupiter 2, was powered by coal, (anthracite to be exact).

…coal dust floating around… :p ??? :O

I remember going to the movies on saturday afternoons and seeing the serials…

Some of you might remember…
A quater would get you all saturday… A nickle down and back on the bus… a dime for the movie… and a nickle to buy some candy…

Boy, that was a BIG Quater…

Hey… I’m only 22 lol…

Bill…

Ok but that dosnt mean future trackers wont be able to get sir will it.
Litmus

Viewers may recall that the reason Doctor Smith rebelled, was not only that he had the job of stoking the boilers, but he was also the one who had to hand-pull the bogey up each time.

I seem to remember him sneaking onboard before it launched by karate chopping a guard from behind..

Hi Litmus:
It appears that the S.I.R. Page will continue or still be available… But I see it as, the S.I.R. Host will get placed on the Back-Burner… The Research-and-Development on the the Host may not get it’s DUE attention… But then again, I believe that the development of the other interests he is getting into, will be on a paraelle course… and may still get upgraded, but not till the Front-Burner Work gets DUE regard… If that makes any sense…

The New work is his Bread-and-Butter line, now…

Bill…

Oh well, seems like SIR has been on the back-burner for quite a while now. Last release was over 10 months ago!

Tony

I seem to remember him sneaking onboard before it launched by karate chopping a guard from behind..

I hate people who ruin a good yarn by introducing facts! :D

Anyway.......

Tony, as you say, it's still the old version of SIR that's been around for almost a year, so I 'spect everybody has that one anyway.