SB Live! Drive

Soundcards/Setup

Hey kids,

This starts off as redundant, as it concerns what is for some of you guys an old stand-by- the SoundBlaster Live! card.

A friend of mine laid one of these on me, along with a “Live! Drive” 5 1/4" thing for the front bay of the PC. I can’t use the 5 1/4", as my mainboard has no accommodation for the ribbon cable (40 pin). But I’m having a time trying to find a driver for the PCI card.

I haven’t tried it yet, and I do have a driver downloaded- but before I try it (it’s been rated as ‘Medium Safety’ at the website I got it from), is there any local wisdom on this? Do any of you guys perchance have the drivers for the CT4860 by Creative Labs- or rather the PCI card that it fits to? I can come up with a number if it helps (but there are several “numbers” printed on the card)?

I’m trying this to load a recording I made of my grandfather’s funeral service (left us early last week- yep, a bummer, but no regrets!) for my aunt in Australia. My music PC is stuck on a bench for the next three weeks, so I’ve got n-Track v3.3 loaded into my little surfer buggy here. It works pretty good- and I figure I can do the edits and burn it in this PC. I’m kind of trying to skip the on-board audio (Via AC 97) in favor of this SB Live!

I figure run the analogue outs from the Tascam 788 into the SB, edit and mix in n-Track. There’s only one ‘in’ on the SB, so I’ll just run it twice- there’s a close mic and a room mic, and because of the varying dynamics of the “performance”, I’ll have to deal with it in sections once it’s in the software.

Yeah, too much info, but I thought it a mildly interesting scenatio… So, anyone know where I can find a ‘safe’ copy of the correct driver? Thanks!!

Did you go to the Creative Website and look for the drivers there?

Dave T2

Sloom, sorry to hear about your grandfather.

The default XP drivers for the Live should work just fine for what you want to do, if not just use the lastest from the Creative website as suggested.

I’m bit confused about your comments about the Live Drive… that plugs into the Live card not your mainboard, surely?

And the Live card has a stereo Line-In so you can stream both your tracks in at once - you just need a converter to take the out puts from your Tascam to a stereo 3.5mm jack on the Live card.

Years ago I made plenty of reasonable recordings using a Live card and I still have one in my “test” PC. It probably won’t affect you if you record both tracks at once, but be aware that the Live cards work better at 48kHz (than 44.1) due to the way they work internally.

Eyup!

Yep, the SB Live! works fine with the built-in XP drivers. I would suggest you use those in preference to the Creative ones. I have a Live! and had plenty of issues with the Creative drivers.

Ideally, I also suggest you download the free Kx drivers, but not until you have finished your current project and have some free time to play around with them. They work superbly, BUT you need time to get your head around the myriad of options and facilities.

Ditto about using 48kHz sample rate.

Steve

I still have an SB Live! card in my machine along with the 5 1/4" Live Drive.

I use it to as my default windows device to playback windows sounds and mp3’s etc.
I also have the spdif out going to the spdif in on my DA2496 so I can use the SB Live GM bank.
Plus the midi I/O’s are a handy 2nd pair.

Anyway, from memory, I just used the default XP drivers.

Also, as mentioned the Live Drive plugs into the soundcard, not your MoBo.

The live drive has left/right RCA inputs it’s probably easiest to go out of the Tascam into the 2 RCA in’s.
Just pan 1 mic hard left and the other hard right on the tascam.

HTH,
Rich

Sloom:
Just to pile on, I use the Live!Drive too, althyough I use the shareware kX project drivers, which give you all sorts of useful signal routing options.

And yes, the ribbon cable connects the sound card with the livedrive. Look here for instructions:
http://ccftp.creative.com/manualdn/Manuals/TSD/786/english.pdf
(the Live! Platinum card came with the live drive, and this manual shows how to set it up.)

Important note: That’s not an ordinary IDE cable – you need the one that came with the drive.

Works like a charm for me.

PR

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m bit confused about your comments about the Live Drive… that plugs into the Live card not your mainboard, surely?

XonXoff is correct. the cable plugs into the AUD_EXT pin header on the card and goes to the LiveDrive.

I will second Beefy Steve’s motion for the kX drivers. My own preference is version 3534f which seems to have less popping / clicking problems than some of the newer versions. kX will also give you true ASIO drivers.

I also agree that the stock XP drivers for the SBLive will work fine but I don’t know if the LiveDrive will work without the Creative drivers.

If you want to load the Creative drivers, check up here to find what the fancy name of the card (the way they will list the drivers at Creative), from the model number. You will see the model number at the top right corner of the card-something like CT4830.

http://ask.americas.creative.com/wwengli…dio.htm

Then you can download the Creative drivers from:
http://soundblaster.com/language.asp?sDestUrl=/support/downloads

But really, join the kX cult…it will make you smarter!

Hah! I get smarter when I bump my head twice.

Thanks for all the chiming in, folks- as I remain a newbie in the PC/peripheral realm. Music, well, I have good days. Here and there.

I get the cable thing, and will check out the linkages. Many thanks, you guys!

Quote (XonXoff @ Aug. 31 2006,10:20)
Sloom, sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Thanks, he was a one-of-a-kind guy, for sure. And I’m pretty sure he’s having a better time now, anyway! :;):

Thanks again for the help, all!

One more quickie: In n-Track v3.3, if I were to import a stereo track, can I break it into 2 separate mono tracks once inside n-? I only have 1 app on this little machine. I can load in an editor, but easy is easy…

Thanks…

Quote (Sloom @ Sep. 01 2006,12:36)
One more quickie: In n-Track v3.3, if I were to import a stereo track, can I break it into 2 separate mono tracks once inside n-? I only have 1 app on this little machine. I can load in an editor, but easy is easy…

Thanks…

You certainly can in V4 (and V5). It’s a long time since I used V3.3 but I’m pretty sure you can do it there too. Try “Track”–>“Split Stereo Track”.

Alternatively you could configure the recording settings to record two mono tracks.

v 3.x, even v2.x had the “Split Stereo Track”.

Thanks, X, Van. I’ll be getting back into spending some time in it again soon enough. 'Till then, I might be asking another redundant question. I promise to get it together, thanks for putting up with it!

I’ve found that the PCI card I recieved with the Live! Drive is not the one that actually goes with it. I can only deduce this by the evident absence of a terminal on the card to plug the Drive cable into. The guy who gave it to me keeps lots of older stuff, and I guess it got shuffled in the great “Culch Pile” of stuff he keeps! So I’ve spent $30 on an Audigy SE, and it seems to be working fine.

The Audigy has allowed me to run to the very end of my small web-surfin PC’s resources in re-recording and saving (piecemeal) the recording I made. Argghhhh… Can’t wait for my music machine to come home… poor little guy.

Thanks all for the help!

Oh: I recorded into the Audigy via the single stereo input, and was able to get two mono tracks recorded in n-Track (v3.3). That has been the best part of this little procedure yet.

Hey Sloom, I bet you miss your EWS88MT, eh?

Quote (vanclan @ Sep. 04 2006,09:08)

Leave me alone.
Quote (Sloom @ Sep. 04 2006,21:33)
Quote (vanclan @ Sep. 04 2006,09:08)

Leave me alone.

Eh, only fooling, Paul!

Yeah, I miss it. Mostly because it's normally attached to my music computer, which isn't here. I've been trying to get this recording (grandfather's funeral) dealt with, and my web machine is so limited for memory (virtual and otherwise) and space that I have to do it little bit at a time- and it's slow! I'm getting killed here.

After work, family time, etc., I'm toast, and have no patience for the extrapolated process... so I'm looking forward to kicking that guy's a- I mean... I'm looking forward to having my machine back! :D

Sloom, I hear your frustration. Only wish I could help. Whatever is holding up that tech (whatever happened to customer care/satisfaction???)?

He’s a friend of mine from when I used to teach at a music store; he worked there at the time. Not much I can really do- if he’s having trouble he’s having trouble, know what I mean? It’s just come at a bad time for me- but it’s worse for him! He’s gotten himself a little screwed up for the moment.

And he’s got my $200 (pretty significant upgrade for me), so I gotta wait…