Score Editor

A suggestion.

Greetings All!

Please forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, it seems I can only do topic title searches on this forum (searching forum posts times-out without fail for some weird reason!)

N-Track Studio is the first DAW I had ever worked with and I consider it to be quite solid and very easy to learn and use. For my purposes I use it exclusively for VST instrument recording to do albums and soundtracks. I strayed away some years ago because it lacked one single feature that I really wanted but I have returned because no other company is as responsive when something breaks. So, if I may offer the suggestion, I would like to see a score editor in N-Track. While piano-roll is certainly very useful, sometimes it is easier for me to visualize what I'm thinking in traditional notation.

Thanks for letting me put in my two-cents worth.

Best wishes,
-A :peace:

Quote: (Augmentor @ Oct. 03 2010, 5:25 PM)

Greetings All!

Please forgive me if this is posted elsewhere, it seems I can only do topic title searches on this forum (searching forum posts times-out without fail for some weird reason!)

N-Track Studio is the first DAW I had ever worked with and I consider it to be quite solid and very easy to learn and use. For my purposes I use it exclusively for VST instrument recording to do albums and soundtracks. I strayed away some years ago because it lacked one single feature that I really wanted but I have returned because no other company is as responsive when something breaks. So, if I may offer the suggestion, I would like to see a score editor in N-Track. While piano-roll is certainly very useful, sometimes it is easier for me to visualize what I'm thinking in traditional notation.

Thanks for letting me put in my two-cents worth.

Best wishes,
-A
:peace:

I'd rather not see n-Track add a score editor. I think it should continue to develop as a recording tool, and not try to be two tools.

My solution is to use Notion to write the score. Notion has an "export to wav" function, so I create a wave file which I import into n-track. Notion has a built-in mixer so if the score has several parts, I can create a balanced track to import into n-Track. Or I can solo each instrument and create individual wav files for import.

I've written a few entries on my web site about using Notion and n-Track. If you go the the Player's Journal page and click on the Player's Journal Topics, you'll get a dropdown topic index, and you'll see links there for the Notion and n-Track entries.

Steve

You are certainly welcome to your opinion. Notion looks very nice, but a bit too expensive for me as well as not being really what I'm looking for. N-Track is solid and the right price, so I still stand by my suggestion.

I don't see how adding another interface would harm N-Track. As it stands it has an audio interface for those working with audio files, a midi interface for those working with VST instruments, and various others for working with specific tools such as the mixer and track effects. Adding a score editor would just add another means of communicating with the core program and ultimately would really only be a beautified midi interface.

N-Track is an awesome program and it would be even more useful to me (and others I'm sure) if I had the option of entering in standard notion to send to my VST instruments.

Best wishes,
-A