Screen resolution problem?

Just upgraded to v6

Hi all,

I’ve been using n-Track since v3 and I still love it.
However I seem bt be having a problem right with v6 before I even have a chance to play with it.

My problem is this; when I open up v6 I can’t see the whole screen.
It’s as if the screen was suddenly set to 256 and everything looks supersized and off the screen.
My screen resolution is normally set at 800 X 600 and I’ve have no problem viewing v5 in this setting.

Any ideas?

hmmm - That’s odd - did you get the right version for you operating system - 32 bit or 64? I gotta think about this one.

It say it’s 24 bit in the help about screen

n-Track Studio 24 bit
Version 6.0.2 build 2431(18/12/2008)

That’s the bit depth the version is capable of recording. The question is about your OS or operating system. XP and Vista are both available in 32 or 64 bit versions. You probably need a different version of n-Track IF you are running a 64 bit OS.

Right-click “My Computer” and choose “Properties”. The resulting dialog box should tell you which version you have of your OS.

D

I’m reading your post differantly:
If you are saying that you cannot see the whole screen and your video card is set to 800X600 - the video will need to be set to a higher resolution to see all of the Icons that are at the top and probably other features will be lost.
I’m not sure what the “native” setting for n-Track is, but that is too low.
Try some higher resolutions until all of the screen is displayed.
I think you need at least 1024 by something to get all of the GUI, but some experiement will show you what is best for your monitor and needs.
Just a note,
almost all programs that I run seem to want the higher resolutions.
They will work, but some of the information is “off screen.”
If you need the lower setting to be able to see the detail, you might try not opening as a full screen, the streatch out the side that is off screen, change the focus/center point.
Still this may not be a good solution as something might open up “off screen.”
I’m not sure.
I finally got two monitors so that I can set them to different resolutions.
Hope this helps.
Bax

Quote:

I'm not sure what the "native" setting for n-Track is,

There shouldn't BE a "native" setting for n-Track. It should scale the GUI to fit whatever screen resolution the user wants. What if a visually impaired person wants to run the software and needs 640x480 in order to see the icons and menus?

D

I’m pretty sure I have xp 32 bit, when I check it just says Windows Xo Home Edition Version 2002 SP 3

As far as the resolution goes if I change it to 1024 I can see all the icons but man is it’s hard to read because everything is so small.
And as I said before v5 works ok so unless there has been a change with screen resolution in v6 I would imagine it should still work with 800x600.

Nothing else has been changed on my computer since installing v6 so I’m at a loss as to what it could be besides something with n-Track, but that doesn’t mean it is a problem with n-Track of course.

Have you tried a complete uninstall of all n-Track versions and reinstalling V6 fresh? WARNING!! Make sure you backup stuff… you know… just in case!

D

PS Maybe a classic Preferences > “Reset to defaults”?

PPS It could still be a wonky video driver or something…

It should adjust to your screen resolution. I’ll do some checking and see what’s up with 800 X 600.

Yea, I guess I should try an uninstall and re-install.

It didn’t help

I tried setting my screen resolution and I can’t see all the icons as in the screenshot shown on the webpage until I go to 1280 x 720

600 x 800 - I had forgotten how HUGE it is! Almost half the top row icons are unusable from the fade in tool on.

1280 x 1024 - what I use in studio.

And there you can see the problem. n-Track is not scaling and wrapping images on the menu bars. They are pushed off the right side of the screen and cannot be accessed. :disagree:

File a bug report/complaint.

D

Bug alert!

Oh - you mean me?

Of course I bug you - part of bein’ my bud! :cool:

Quote: (LF805 @ Jan. 07 2009, 5:35 PM)

I'm pretty sure I have xp 32 bit, when I check it just says Windows Xo Home Edition Version 2002 SP 3

As far as the resolution goes if I change it to 1024 I can see all the icons but man is it's hard to read because everything is so small.
And as I said before v5 works ok so unless there has been a change with screen resolution in v6 I would imagine it should still work with 800x600.

Nothing else has been changed on my computer since installing v6 so I'm at a loss as to what it could be besides something with n-Track, but that doesn't mean it is a problem with n-Track of course.

n-Track 6 is designed to be used at 1024x768 or greater screel resolution. At 800x600 some elements of the main toolbar will be hidden.
You should still be able to fully the program using the Menu commands instead of the toolbar buttons, and also you can remove unneeded buttons to make room for others that are hidden in the box that appears right clicking on the toolbar and selecting "Customize toolbar" from the popup menu.
Note that the 'native' resolution for 17'' CRT monitors is usually 1280x1024. 1280x720 will indeed appear horizontally stretched as the aspect ratio of monitors that have native 1280x720 resolution is "16:9" while 17'' monitors typically are "5:4" (1280 divided by 1024 = 1.25 = 5 divided by 4) or "4:3" (1024 divided by 768 is 1.33 = 4 divided by 3).

When you change the screen resolution make sure you close and relaunch n-Track, as the program does some adjustments to the transport toolbar to make it fit into the available screen resolution, but only does that when the program is launched.

Flavio.

i had the same problem when i recently picked up a flatscreen display which as far as i can see has a fixed resolotion - i went to CUSTONISE TOOLBAR and deleted a few unused icons so that i could get to the zoom in/out, view all screen icons on the right hand side that where not visable -

M.R.

I think Flavio is being too modest here; N has been enormously customizable for years, if you pop through the menus a little. Fill the tool bars with the buttons you use a lot, stick away the rest, is a great thing. The only trick I wish it would do is add an extra tool bar to allow more icons on narrower screen settings. (I use a 15inch monitor to save space.)

'til next time!
Tony W

p.s.; why does the board’s built in dictionary think Flavio is a mis-spelling? And of Ravioli? :laugh:

Quote: (Dubious @ Jan. 07 2009, 5:11 PM)

Quote:

I'm not sure what the "native" setting for n-Track is,

There shouldn't BE a "native" setting for n-Track. It should scale the GUI to fit whatever screen resolution the user wants. What if a visually impaired person wants to run the software and needs 640x480 in order to see the icons and menus?

D

Well, I stick to the comment I made above...

n-Track is and has been very customizable for a long time so kudos for that but I still see this as a problem. Not for me personally... YET. :) I am getting older though and the ol' peepers do not work as well as they used to and are getting worse every year...

Let's say a guy runs a 24" flat screen with a native resolution of 1900 x 1200 but he is visually impaired and wants to run n-Track at 800 x 600. He'll have to wack 1/3 or more of the buttons off the toolbars! Would it not be better if the app scaled and wrapped the toolbars and elements to keep them all on screen where the guy can scroll tracks up or down as needed and still see his toolbars?

Granted, this is kind of a rare case but most apps I use do that very thing OR will scroll the toolbars automatically when the user mouses to the edge of the toolbar.

Just a humble two pence worth eh? :agree:

D