Scrub causes n-Track to stop play mode

sent “MOAN” report to Flavio re scrub and timeline stopping -

Dr J

Hi Today:
Have either of you had any other “Editor” to use the “Scrub” feature? I say this because I only use n-Track as a multi-track editor…

If, for example, you have other “Editors” with a scrub feature how does n-Track’s scrub compare with any other Editor’s Scrub?

I’m trying to learn how n-Track’s scrub works as to how I can intricate it’s use into my “Editing Tools”… I haven’t called on it’s use enough yet to call upon it’s use any more than a “Toy” yet… If I can get it’s use to behave consistently, I’ll be able to call upon it more often and integrate it’s use into my “Editing Practice”…

However, it appears to work differently with '98SE as the desk as opposed to using it in XP as the Desk… Now, is that because I don’t have all the “Do’s” required to operate the Scrub? I’m still playing with it’s use, as it might apply to my ideas as to how it works… ??

I have slight/minute issues to resolve between "98SE and XP desks that have n-Track installed on these computers… Out of these desks I have DAWs that I use more for Tracking than I use others… And I have DAWs that I use for “Editing” … more than Tracking… Having said that I can see the “Scrub” feature’s use for both applications… for setting timeline positions…

In an earlier post I eluded to making the “Scrub” Margin larger… That is because, for my applications, I use different screen resolutions on different DAWs/Desks…

Having said that… I may not be your best guy to “Set-and-Make” opinions as to how this Scrub should work…

Then… If I am unable to make a feature work for me when I use IT, I just go find another way to Do-or-Edit what I want to do…

Maybe, I have learned how to be a “Work-Around” artist… I don’t think I’m stuck on doing something a certain way… but I might be somewhat stuck on using the same multi-track editor…

Bill…

from WEBOPEDIA -The process of moving within an audio file or tape to locate a particular section. The term originally comes from the days of reel-to-reel players, when rocking a reel would give the impression of scrubbing tape across the head. Many audio scrub tools today allow the user to drag a cursor across the wave form to audition different sections of an audio file -

from me -
by using scrub you should be able to slowly track over a FADE or JOIN in a track and listen easily how the FADE/JOIN can adversly affect metering etc - you can use it also to determine peaks in your tracks that you think are to high but the meters show it to be OK, by tracking in SLOW MOTION you can HEAR where distortion is present that can be missed at realtime play speed - also if you take scrub in its original state, IE on a multutrack tape where pitch chances with speed, the slower you go the louder certain parts sound, this can show up why some instruments/vocals do not sit correctly in the mix -

remember meters are useless at determining loudness, our ears are SLOW to respond to certain frequencies, our ears do not hear things in LINEAR mode, hearing has peaks snd troughs, OK so it takes time to learn but you can actually hear more at slow speeds than normal -

have suggested to Flavio that the scrub line is thickened to make it easy to use - you can use the green arrows on transport bar to scrub but it is much to fast to use properly -

try running your best/favourite track at X0.32 forward speed (about as slow as you can go without N having a fit) isten to how things do not actually start or finish where they should - TIMING ERRORS on drums, guitars coming on and out, tambourines etc will stand out like a SORE THUMB - if you re-aline your tracks at slow speed to compensate for this, everything will sound much TIGHTER at normal play speed -

Dr J

Hi Doc:
That’s a nice reply to the topic/thread…

I wasn’t aware that you can use the transport arrows to direct the scrub… or I haven’t tried them…

That being the case… if you keep the cursor on the scrub margin, does that keep the scrub in action/play?.. or… how does it work for you? I guess I’ll have another crack at the scrub motion… and check that out…

Yesterday, I got the dual boot P-4 DAW "Current… Today, I am gonna work on the dual boot P-111 and get it up and current… I have operational maintenance yet to do on both machines… It seems as though it requires a lot of maintenance and time to keep these machines in top condition… Otherwise no tracking-and-editing will work correctly… IT cuts into the creativity, time…

After I get the computers running, I’ve lost the ability to want to create… :O ??? :(

Bill…

two ways -

1… hit play button - click on text near to double headed arrow on righthand side of transport bar, popup opens select 0.5x (half speed palyback) - selecting a ‘-’ number will playback in reverse at that speed -
2… hit play button - VERY SLOWLY drag arrow backwards (to the left) text will change to show play speed - try for 0.32/0.45 -

when you alter the speed it is like changing the gears in a tape drive/turntable - N wil keep at that playback speed allowing you to stop/start/reposition timelime etc at will -

to reset -

1…click on text select 1x from popup -
2… double click on arrow -

Dr J

Hi Doc:
Thanks for that reply… This is comming right along… Can I keep up with all these improvments? Flavio has been a busy boy in the last week-or-so…

He must be into a new batch of wine… or something… :O :laugh: :D :p

Bill…