Seattle Wind Storm 2006

Near Redmond Ridge

http://phootoons.com/storm/

I took these and got them posted right before leaving for vacation. Power was off for us until the day before we left. That’s actually pretty good considering so many folks are still without power in the immediate area still (150,000 is being reported at this time).

This pictures are all within 3/4 of a mile of where we live. The house on the front page of the paper is about a mile down the road.

Hi phoo:
You have it pretty bad over there… The stories we hear on the news from up-and-down your coast are hard to believe. We had the Big Blow over here, a few years ago… We still have tree-fall, that is not cleared up… The wood is not even good to burn for heat anymore… As a result, the rabbit population has soared. So much so that they have a health issue… and they are not good to eat… Lots of people like Rabbit pie, this time of year… That, along with no snow fall and open lakes (no ice) is not helping the situation, at all…

Phoo… we’re watching your weather over here, with great interest…

Bill…

It makes one really appreciate all those folks whose job it is to fix these sorts of problems, eh?

Nice looking area, in spite of all the damage, however.

Oh yes. The folks fixing the lines were on 40/8 hour shifts. 40 hours on and 8 hours off. That’s just unreasonable from a workers point of view, but the folks without power need that kind of dedication.

I haven’t heard anything new. There was supposed to be another storm last night, but not nearly as strong. I assume is was just a little wind and no new damage. I bet it got some folks worried though.

Bill, I wish we got more snow, but I have a feeling that if we did I might change the way I think about it. :)

Hi phoo:
We’re hearing that Denver got hit with a bad storm. They know what weather is… But when we see clips of their storms it’s bad enough to make it news worthy…

It doesn’t appear that we are gonna have any snow over the Christmas/New Year week… All the kids are wondering now how Santa is gonna get to these parts…

Stories are beginning to surface about this “Magic Grease” that Mom and Dad are gonna have to get to paint the roof… with… But Home Depot doesn’t have it in their “Flyer”… Now they’re all checking the Canadian Tire flyer… and any other place they think IT might be available…

Guys… this ain’t look’in good… :O ??? :(

Bill…

[EDIT

We’re just going through the shortest days of the year… The sun is at it’s lowest elevation of the year… It can only get better from here-on-in… Sorry for you guys living south of the equator… ???

Hi phoo:
The No Snow is still in the forecast over here… we got lots of rain… However, north of here it’s cold enough for snow… But, with no frost in the ground any snow that falls isn’t gonna stay… Along the coast the temperature is anywhere from +2 - +7c… My heating fuel oil tank is just loving IT… My furnace comes on once every 3-4 hours… Hey? what’s that noise?

Bill…

I suppose no snow means less of a heat bill, Bill. :)

I want a nice snow snap at leat once a year. It’s sort of like a little mini-vacation. We almost never got snow in NC when I was growing up so now I want it. Of couse, I don’t want it when I have to go somewhere. We did have that snow a month ago that caused all kinds of problems, but it was short lived.

It’s surprising… No snow means what sun is available goes into the ground and is absorbed into the lake water… We don’t have any ice in the lakes, as well… As long as the weather patterns come from the direction they are we aren’t gonna see any of that stuff… Any snow cover and lake ice reflects any of the sun’s heat back into the air… We know, we’re gonna get it… it’s a matter of time… We’ll get a cold snap in February… It normally doesn’t bring snow… If we don’t get snow by then we’ll be in good shape. The sun will be higher in the sky and we’ll be able to feel the sun’s heat… Heating fuel is essentially diesel fuel, without the road taxes. It goes for .65 a litre… I burn it at a rate of 4.5 litres an hour… When the temperature is below -10c I can burn fuel at the rate of 28-32 litres per day… Heat is a significant part of the budget, in the winter… It amounts to similar costs if you live in the south and need air conditioning… in the summer months. If all this weather energy could be harnessed-and-converted for some other use we’d be using our minds a little more productively… Sun… Wind… Rain… :O ???

Bill…

I sort of got what I asked for last night. It was supposed to be just rain with the temperature in the upper 30’s. Sometimes during the night the temp dropped a bit and we got a nice surprise.

click to enlarge

Hi phoo:
That’s wet heavy snow… It’s gonna warm up and get mild… Then no snow on the ground… You might not see that in a day-or-so… It was good while it lasted…

We’re on the wrong side of a front that reaches right down into Florida. ( My friends in Orlando are freezing… so-they-say… it went down to about 45F overnight ) It’s cooling off over here… big time. But, no snow… I’d say, the ground and lakes are gonna freeze… Then, I’d say we are ripe now for snow cover and snow that’ll last till spring…

It was good while it lasted… I’m going out tomorrow and fire up my snowblower… Just checking… :O ???

Bill…

It got cold last night (for here – 22 on the porch when I got up), so now we have solid ice hard frozen shush all over everything. That’s pretty much what the problem was with the snow a few weeks ago but that snow was freezing as sold ice on contact which made it very bad. We actually got more snow this time. Fortunately, most of the roads were well traveled yesterday so they are clear. Yeah, it won’t last long.

Jeepers. Well, just think how bad it would be if we had global warming.

Man…

You guys are not getting any break from the weather, over there…

The wind came around, over here and it got brutal… 40 mph winds from the north… The wind chill is bad… It’s -4 - -6c… I don’t know what the windchill temperature is…?? I went out and fired up the snowblower… Two pulls on the pull-cord and she went… :O :;):

You’re right. When it goes below freezing there ain’t no melting, going on…

It tried it’s best to snow, overnight… But all it could manage was some light squalls… As long as the wind stays up there ain’t gonna be any ice in the lakes… Believe it or not… with no snow there is some amount of the sun’s energy going into the ground… Every little bit helps…

We’ll see how the weekend goes…

Bill…

-6C (a little above 20F) 40 MPH windchill will be about -17C (1F). Oh, yes you need to stay inside a bit more than we do. :)

Hey! Go north, young man! Up here it’s all (relatively) nice & warm.
Hmmm… green x-mases? I can get used to this :)

I bet you can get used to a green christmas. How’s Vasdo this time of year? (Did I spell it right?)

I just added a wind chill calculater to the www.phootoons.com homepage. I’m an old weather nut. Seemed like a good thing to do at the time though I know there’s plenty other stuff I should be doing.

Can you add an East Coast snow tolerator to your page.?? :O :p

When I was a kid, I should have been traded to an Arizona Family, that would allow me to migrate to where I live now for two weeks in the summer time… I don’t like it if it gets too warm… Snow ain’t something that I’ve grown to like…

I have no idea how I became a hockey fan… ??? :;):

Bill…

Quote (phoo @ Dec. 28 2006,17:04)
How's Vasdo this time of year? (Did I spell it right?)

a) See email, and
b) no, you didn't :laugh:

Got your email…THANSK!!

Speelling chekkers are my fiend…VADSO? At least I got the english letters right, but I suppose the O is something I can’t type…or the A. :)

Now THIS is what I like:

Thanks to Teryeah formerly in Vadso!

http://www.weathercity.com/no/vadso/