Separating tracks

With my yamaha board, acer 5050 labtop, and a few 57’s and AKG’s and such… i run my mics through my board and our from the main output (right) to my sound cards line in. I am looking for a way to separate the tracks in my computer during recording. Example: 5 drums (bass, snare, and 3 toms), and i want to be able to adjust the sound of each particular drum from the others while on the same track during playback. i have seen this done on pro-tools where the drums are all on one track, but on a seperate page tab, you can adjust the volume and sound of a particular drum to get the right mix you need. Please help, i have been recording for a pretty good while, but always caveman style. I would like some help that wouldnt cost me a few grand to accomplish what i need. I would like to be able to record a band all at the same time on top seperate tracks and like i had described before. Please help!! i could use it!

thanks so much!

You need some hardware to be able to do that - a soundcard with multiple inputs, that is.

The way to record lots of instruments/sounds simultaneously is to keep every instrument separate all the way from the input to the recording track.

You can’t unscramble eggs…

regards, Nils

heygermandude might be thinking of grouped tracks - where several audio tracks are diverted through one group fader. This might make the drums all appear to be going through one track in Protools. Not that I’ve seen Protools in action but this is certainly true with n-Track.

But as Nils said, the drums would need to go be recorded inidividually into separate inputs with a multi-input soundcard.

You can check out the M-Audio stuff here. I think that is what you might need (or something like it).

cliff
:cool:

Keep in mind that the Acer 5050 may not be able to keep up. Check out your specific config before sinking money into a soundcard for it. It would be a shame to spend money then find out the laptop itself is the bottleneck.

I have no experience with the Acer. It could work just fine.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3609

Hi guy’s!My name is Michelle,i’m new on site and in this brand.I work as a piano entertainer, i have many songs ready to record an i decided to use n-track…(you know already i need your help :)
What i’ve got is: an Shure KSM9 mic, an Lexicon MX400 efect, an Aphex 207 preamp. and a mixer Soundcraft Spirit M4.
My next orders can be a Apple laptop…an what audio interface i will buy?Do you have a better ideea?..kiss kisss

Michelle. it reads as you have some swell gear there, and should be able to make excellent recordings with a bit of practice and study. But if you wish to use ntrack as your DAW (digital audio workstation), you need to know that n is a Windows only program, and will not run on an Apple. If you want an Apple there are many fine DAWs written for Mac, and even Garage Band, which comes free with new Macs, is pretty good, but they are not ntrack. Whichever type computer you go with, there are many good choices for an audio interface. You need to determine how many tracks you need to record at one time, and how much spending your budget can support, then ask that question again, and you should get some great answers from us!

'til next time;
Tony W

Wow…your answer came so fast…my budget…hmm…lets say 3-4000$ for laptop an audio interface…
I’ve heard they made Apple’s for Windows too…anyway,my pla B can be Lenovo or Dell. I’m looking for very mobile studio.Thanks for replay Wynot.

With a budget like that you can get superb gear; so the next q is: how many tracks do you need to record at one time? If more than 2 you should look at the many firewire based external sound cards available. I have had great luck with M-Audio products, but there are others as good or better…

You might want to start a new thread for your questions though; this one has been hijacked enough, I think! :)

You are hearing from me so quickly because it is a slow day here at work. but we close early on Thursdays, so…

'til next time!
Tony

Hi a-gain Wynot!:)
I FORGOT TO MENTION…I HAVE ALSO AN PIANO-MASTER KYBOARD ROLAND RD-700SX
PROBABLY I DON’T NEED TO REC MORE TEN TWO TRACKS AT ONCE…
WHAT ABOUT Echo AudioFire4 6-Channel Portable FireWire Audio Interface OR YAMAHA GO46?
MY PLAN C IT’S AKAI DPS24 MKII…HIT ME BABY ONE MORE TIME…:slight_smile:

Hyger, if your 5050 is a bit long in the tooth, just ask for a copy of n-Track V3 to load. Unless it’s REAL old and moldy (say, pre 2002 and not hot for its era), it should work just fine even with multiple channels. For example, I worked fine on a 750 mHz P3 back in 2002. That was a pretty good laptop at the time. (Note: laptops aren’t the best choice.)

Michelle, I agree with Wynot; you can do great with either platform, but if you go Mac you won’t get as much help here.

With your budget you can get a killer system. My suggestion: save some money for spending later when you have a better idea what else you’ll want (microphones, mic preamps, and better instruments). You do NOT need that much money to build a great PC-based DAW.

I recommend starting with a 2-channel soundcard if that’s the most you’ll be doing most of the time. They’re very inexpensive, even rather good ones, and you’ll learn all you’ll need to know if you ever decide you do need to record multi-channel. But either of the units you’ve mentioned above should work just fine.

Will you be recording using microphones at all?

You’ll find there are a lot of “old school” folks who think you need a Mac to do audio, but they’re at least 5 years out of date, probably more. On the PC, there is an incredible wealth of cheap and free and high quality programs and plugins.

Also, I participated in the GarageBand forum a couple years ago because of a friend with a Mac, who needed help. What I found is that the Mac folks had all the same kinds of issues that the PC folks did. Well, a few less because at the time some PC motherboards didn’t do USB audio well, but that’s been sorted out by now. Really, I’ve been there for both platforms, and they both have their tribulations, and pretty much over the very same issues. So, go with the platform you’re comfortable with. If your budget was tighter I’d say Windows for sure because it’s more for the money. However, with your budget you can go first class either way.

I don’t have personal experience with any of the audio interfaces that you mentioned, but I’m sure that any of them would be just fine.

I recommend against the DPS24 route. A hardware DAW does have these advantages, though:

- usually quieter than a computer, even a laptop
- all set up for low-latency, no hassle, push buttons and go operation
- actual knobs. Everybody loves knobs, so much nicer than using a mouse – but less flexible!

However, once you’ve mixed a song on a PC, you’ll never want to go back to tiny GUIs and the limitations of special-purpose hardware. Yes, there are a few more details to get right on a computer to set up a DAW, but once you do you’ll find it generally easier to use. Especially if you do “mix as you go” work, where you might add another track at any stage in the mixing process.

And, you can always add the DPS24 later, if you really want it – you’d want to use that with a computer anyway (at least, after recording and during mixdown).