sequencer recomendations

I am currently in the market for a sequencer (mostly for drums, and some bass - but I’d also like the option to do some standard electronic stuff). I have about $100 to spend, and currently the best thing I’ve found out there is fruityloops. I definitely need the ability to compose in a loop/playlist style - but I also will probably be using a pianoroll style approach for some things. I need to be able to do MIDI/VSTi/WAV sequencing. Pretty much I am thinking fruityloops would be a no brainer - BUT, I’m a little disapointed with it’s MIDI and Pianoroll capabilties. Most of all, it has to work well with n-track (of course!). Any suggestions out there? What are other people using?

I use Voyetra Midi Orchestrator Plus, an ancient application i got for free with a soundcard once, and Jazz++, which is free, and has a lot of goodies regarding drum programming. I know more advanced stuff exists, but this is what works for me…

regards, Nils

Define “work well” with n-track. If you mean it has to work as a rewire or vsti thing in n-Track, then you are looking at Reason or FL. If you just want to export wav files to use in n-Track, then there are lots of other low cost options - e.g., Orion, or Tracktion which was free for a while there. I really like Orion, personally, but it can’t function as a VSTi in n-Track. :)

Quote (Nils K @ Jan. 06 2005,01:50)
I use Voyetra Midi Orchestrator Plus, an ancient application i got for free with a soundcard once, and Jazz++, which is free, and has a lot of goodies regarding drum programming. I know more advanced stuff exists, but this is what works for me...

regards, Nils

I've been taking a look at Jazz++ - it seems powerful, albeit a bit complicated... does it support a loop/playlist method of composing?
Quote (TomS @ Jan. 06 2005,08:07)
Define "work well" with n-track. If you mean it has to work as a rewire or vsti thing in n-Track, then you are looking at Reason or FL. If you just want to export wav files to use in n-Track, then there are lots of other low cost options - e.g., Orion, or Tracktion which was free for a while there. I really like Orion, personally, but it can't function as a VSTi in n-Track. :)

Sorry - I realize that was a little vauge... VSTi/ReWire would be nice - but not neccesary. My basic needs are something that will export wave files. I actually picked up a copy of tracktion, but hadn't spent much time with it, so I'll take another look. I've also looked at Orion, but dismissed it as being over my price limit - but I'd be willing to take another look at that as well. What makes Orion better than FL, in your opinion? Also, with FL, you get access to about 2GB of samples to download - does Orion offer anything similar?

fl studio is what you need

Well, I ended up using Orion b/c is was more developed at the time than was FL (it has been around a bit longer). The interface is very obvious, and it has always been very stable - I can’t remember it ever crashing on me. That being said, I have tried FL and while the interface was not quite as easy for me to use, it clearly is a fabulous program.

As to samples, well, there is so much out there, and I have tried to avoid using the stuff other people use, when I have used samples. But Orion Platinum comes with some samples, not 2 gigs, more like 500 megs IIRC, and Pro doesn’t.

Quote (artlogic @ Jan. 06 2005,09:55)
I've been taking a look at Jazz++ - it seems powerful, albeit a bit complicated... does it support a loop/playlist method of composing?

No, it does not work in that way. It does, however, have a unique feature called "random rhythm", designed to make good, lively, vibrant drum tracks using a sophisticated type of probability control (now you know what that subject you tried so hard to evade in high scool is good for! :D )

It also has a rather rudimentary - but exiting - auto-accompaniment feature. Beware, though, the styles you can get it to render are very jazzy - this may, or may not, suit your purpose. It is a free application, but the random rhythm feature should make it worth at least the cost of the download and effort in getting to grips with it on a rudimentary level...

regards, Nils

Wow - I definately will be taking a closer look at Jazz++ sounds, at the very least, a way to generate some beats I wouldn’t normally generate myself… definately good inspiration.

for all of you wondering, I decided to go with FL for now… just bought my copy tonight - I really appreciate your opinions. Thanks!

Nils,

Thanks for reminding me about Voyetra Midi Orchestrator Plus. I had forgotten that I have that one. Great little bundle. I re-loaded it today and it is really nice. Yes, its old but still very useful and easy to use. I also have PowerTracks Pro Audio but it is not very Irishman-friendly.

Thanks,

Don

[EDIT]

Just realized that it won’t handle GS MIDI. ???