setting up myDAW system

how’s the majority doin this?

I was just wanting to know if you guys are using separate computers for recording, & then have a spare for downloading the upgrades for you’re software. I’ve been thinking bout getting a seperate system for my recording & just that only. I would be very grateful for any advise.

i run a dual boot operating system configuration (two seperate installs of windows xp on two seperate partitions on the same hard drive).

on my “home use” os install i have my internet, games, etc etc… that type of stuff installed.

on my “recording” os install i have only installed the programs i require for audio work. i’ve also gone through i series of tweaks to optimize the operating system and disable certain things that i don’t need during recording.

this seems to work well for me… it really keeps me from messing up my recording system when i’m in the middle of an important project.

Quote (dimmer77 @ July 20 2005,23:34)
i run a dual boot operating system configuration (two seperate installs of windows xp on two seperate partitions on the same hard drive).

on my "home use" os install i have my internet, games, etc etc... that type of stuff installed.

on my "recording" os install i have only installed the programs i require for audio work. i've also gone through i series of tweaks to optimize the operating system and disable certain things that i don't need during recording.

this seems to work well for me... it really keeps me from messing up my recording system when i'm in the middle of an important project.

thats pretty cool, i should partition my hardrive and make a dual boot system. But im going to be getting a building a new recording computer anywayz

I used to dual boot but when I upgraded my my hardware I kept my old box for Internet etc, and my new box dedicated for DAW.

The PCs are next to each other and I use a KVM with a single monitor etc.

Both PCs are on my little home network, but the DAW is prevented from accessing the internet.

Mark

i think ultimately, isolating the two systems is best… but not everyone has the $$ for that. personally, my pc requirements for recording are high, as are my requirements for internet, gaming, graphic work, etc. can’t afford to keep two powerful machines… so the dual boot is my comprimise.

with two machines you are completely isolated from the internet (viruses), and any other problems or possibility of corruption from your day to day personal work or gaming habits (very hot/loud pc case due to video card fans). hehe.

with the dual boot, if i’m screwing around on the 'net and install something that corrupts windows or causes me problems, i can still boot up my recording partition and work along just fine.

so, w/ 2 pc’s running separate, how do i download software upgrades? Would, or can i load them on my internet computer & run the download to a CD, then load the disc to my DAW pc?

<!–QuoteBegin>

so, w/ 2 pc’s running separate, how do i download software upgrades? Would, or can i load them on my internet computer & run the download to a CD, then load the disc to my DAW pc?

Yep!

A USB keydrive/pendrive is probably a good investment too.

Mark

Unless you want to shell out the $$$ for a 2nd system, dual-boot is the way to go. Works for me.

:cool:

Those of you who dual boot Win XP, how do you go about activating both copies?

Call the MS Activation number… but speak to a human, not the stupid machine.

TG

<!–QuoteBegin>

TG

OK. Thanks. Thought as much. Just curious. No problems activating the same version twice then?

Hi All:
As Mark well knows, and others here on this Board… and… I’ve been working on this for a good month, now… I have the one studio computer set-up with a Dual-Boot Partitioned drive, now… There’s a few bugs to iron out, though… One with XP Pro… The other partition with "98SE… I need '98SE for the Lexicon Core 32 Audio Hardware… However the Lexicon Applications were built to include 2000 as an Operating System… But nothing later… The other computer has one Boot system… (with "98SE for the Time-Being)…

Now, I’m “Toying” with the idea of connecting “CYBER” to the Studio Operation…

I’m still on a Modem-and-Phone Wire… :p :laugh: IiKkNnOoWw…

My Question ? … Is there such thing as, A Stand-alone-BOX that I plug the Phone wire into > plug the Modem into the network Hub/Switch > then the other computers can access the Modem to receive Up-Dates, and… Whatever, as nessessary…??

[EDIT] Does anyone have a suggestion as to how my set-up can be wired to accommadate these ideas?

As much as I want to isolate the studio from “CYBER” It is an evil that has to be tollerated… I think…

Bill…

<!–QuoteBegin>

My Question ? … Is there such thing as, A Stand-alone-BOX that I plug the Phone wire into > plug the Modem into the network Hub/Switch > then the other computers can access the Modem to receive Up-Dates, and… Whatever, as nessessary…??

Hi Bill,

No such thing that I’ve ever come across. You can do this with a broadband modem/router but not with dial-up.

Windows does support Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) whereby one machine dials up to the Internet and then acts as a proxy server for other computers to access the Internet.

I used to use ICS back before I had broadband access. It was a pig to setup with '98 machines acting as the proxy server. From what I read, it’s now much easier with XP. In the end I gave up and used a freebie third-party proxy program instead.

You will, of course, need to have a network between your machines. A loose wired cat-5 with a small hub is easy-peasy to do - you just need to understand a little about configuring an IP network.

Of course, you could just create a shared drive on you Internet PC, and allow your Studio PC to access it via the network. That way you would keep all the internet access restricted to the one PC, but could still download patches, updates etc.

Mark

Hi Mark:
Thanks for the reply… I was out this morning looking around after I wrote the message… here… I had lots of raised eyebrows from the sales people that I asked the questions to, regarding this idea… The biggest answer I got back is… Why are you on dial-up… anyway?? They must have some TO-DO’s about me, after I leave their shops… hehe… Cause my ears are just burning… lol… :p

I think I have a work-around to this… I got an external modem I’m gonna plug it into the Serial Port of the P-4 Dual Boot machine… I should be able to connect to the “Cybre” with that machine… and with a choice of Xp or '98SE… or Both… I’m gonna look into it this afternoon… So, that’s the project-at-hand, and on the Docket… today… We’ll see… ???

Bill…

MAN! this stuff is all chinese to me! LMAO!! Thanx for the info guys!! I think i’m gonna get a 2nd pc later. I went ahead & ordered the 16 bit version of N just to see what all i could do w/ it, so i’m gonna use it on this overloaded crashin & burnin pc for a while:laugh: I ordered a audiophile 24/96 & pro tools m-powered too, please don’t holler at me LOL!! i hope i can use the 2 (N & PT) together & hope that don’t sound like i’m too far out there. Thanx again for the help, i’m sure i’ll have PLENTY more questions later, I just hope i don’t wear you guys out. I’m also hopin’ this stuff don’t make me end up in the nervous hospital!!:p :laugh:

Quote (psychobilly @ July 23 2005,21:25)
I'm also hopin' this stuff don't make me end up in the nervous hospital!!:p :laugh:

Judging from your name... you're half-way there! :D :D

Good luck with your setup. Welcome to the forum dude.

TG

Quote (Mark A @ July 22 2005,14:59)
<!–QuoteBegin>

TG

OK. Thanks. Thought as much. Just curious. No problems activating the same version twice then?

Hey Mark,

I have not actually tried it myself. My dual boot system is running a copy XP using a site license. I just entered the key for each boot partition install. However, the EULA states that your license is for ONE machine and you will still be running that same machine. Just booting into a different partition on your HD. Speak to a human at MS and you’ll have no problems.

TG

EDIT** Here’s another thought… use Ghost to clone your first partition after a fresh install. Create second partition and restore image there. When booting, your PC should see two OS’s on different logical drives and prompt you for which one to boot from. I think… Never tried it…

Thanx gtr4 for the welcome, you may be right bout the 1/2 way there, i was thinkin more like 7/8 & if it ain’t i’m sure i will be by the time i get dun messin w/ this stuff!:D

I’ve never found a compeling reason to setup a dual-boot system, nor have any of my clients ever asked for such a setup. A 2nd PC is always nice to have but who has the money? You always need an effective backup strategy in case your system goes. I use Norton Ghost with an off-site hard drive & I have a spare hard drive in my PC that I use to back up files.

In the past, I have created a separate account, where I disable all non-essential “stuff” to recording, i.e., USB, printers, etc., but I don’t even do that now. This is, I use the same login account to get my email & to do recording. I’m still running Win2K.

My feeling about dual boot is why waste the disk space? There was a time when some people needed to boot to both Win98 and NT but those days are largely over.