Setting up Outlook Express on my wife's

notebook that’s networked to my desktop

Hi Guys,

Sorry this is so mundane but you lot seem to know everything and I don’t feel like re-inventing the wheel today.

Basically I’ve got a desktop and I use Outlook Express via broadband. I recently bought my wife a notebook which we’ve wireless networked to the desktop and it works just fine.

What I want to be able to do is set up a seperate e-mail address for her to use on her notebook via my desktop’s broadband connection.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!

Mike

An e-mail address/mailbox is something most likely provided by your ISP. I would check with them to see if they have a web based control panel to add new e-mail accounts. Once you have the account setup on their server, you’ll then setup her Outlook to connect to the server under the new account.

…and even then, if both email address get delivered to the same pop3 mailbox, you’ll need some nifty mail rules to download just the messages you want (and delete them) leaving the rest behind.

However some ISPs do give you multiple pop3 mailboxes…

Simplest solution might be to give your wife a gmail account (they have pop3 download) and set her OE to download from there. (You need to be “invited” to join gmail; I can do that if you want).

Not a mundane question at all.

Mark

Oh, and Mike, your wife’s laptop will need a connection to the Internet either via your desktop (“internet connection sharing”) or (better still) via a router.

How do you connect to the 'net?

Mark

Hi Guys,

Thanks for that.

I have a broadband internet connection (always on) via Belkin modem/router. It provides network connections via ethernet cable and wireless to the desktop and the laptop.

My ISP is happy with connection sharing (something we do already with IE) and will provide multiple e-mail accounts.

I can’t seem to manage to set it up though and I wondered if anyone had any experience with this.

Thanks again!

Mike

Ok, good, so your laptop has it’s own internet connection and your ISP provides separate email address…

so “all” you need to do is setup the laptop to pickup the email… but this all depends on wether your ISP delivers the different addresses to different pop3 mailboxes.

I’m not sure how much you know but essentially your email gets delivered to a mailbox on your ISP’s server (“pop3 server”). OE is then setup to collect the email from the mailbox and then delete it from the mailbox. In OE this is done in the Tools->Accounts settings.

Your two email accounts may be on the same pop3 server (something like pop3.myISP.com), but they really need to have their own mailbox on the server. Normally this is identified my having a different “account name” in the OE account.

You need to check with your ISP to get this info and then put it into OE on the laptop. It’s probably on a faq or support page on their website.

Mark

Thanks Mark,

I’ll have a go!

Mike

If you get stuck, just come back here and ask. You need 4 bits of information:

* pop3 server name (probably the same as your desktop)

* smtp server (probably the same as your desktop)

* account name (hopefully not the same as your desktop)

* password

Mark

Thanks Mark,

It all went swimmingly. Mrs F. is now up and running.

I really appreciate your help.

Mike

Quote (Mark A @ May 23 2006,02:33)
* account name (hopefully not the same as your desktop)

He he he …

Mark, I like that !

Edit/

From here downwards is now moot point seeing that I posted at the excact same time as Mike did … Glad it got sorted.

/edit

BTW - if it is the same account name I would also recommend the gmail route.

I set it up for my wife as well and it works like a charm.

It just uses different than standard port numbers on the pop3 and smtp servers, but lets not jump the gun with technical details before its needed …

Nice one Mike. Glad you got it sorted.

Mark

Wihan, others,

WRT gmail… I don’t use gmail for my primary email (I use OE on my PC at home), but what I do do is to have a copy of all my “normal” email forwarded to my gmail account.

That way I have a copy of all my received email accessable from anywhere (where there’s a PC and Internet connection of course).

Mark

Our ISP provides a web access portal to email accounts. It’s nice and free and all but they use Squirrel Mail which SUCKS big time. It is however, a standard ol’ POP3 setup so I use Outlook to retrieve mail at home and the web portal if I’m away or at someone elses PC.

Check your ISP out. They may have a web access system. You never know unless you ask…

D

Dude, Squirrel Mail can be sweet… you just gotta spend half your life screwing with plugins and CSS. :D

I’m running out of “half-lifes” man… :) Knowhattamean? Our setup at work used to be a PITA too. We had to VPN into the plant network and run Outlook to get to our work email. Outlook does not run well AT ALL over our VPN. IT dude setup the web access app for us. IT works great. Now I can slave away at home, on MY time… :angry:

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Our ISP provides a web access portal to email accounts. It’s nice and free and all but they use Squirrel Mail which SUCKS big time. It is however, a standard ol’ POP3 setup so I use Outlook to retrieve mail at home and the web portal if I’m away or at someone elses PC.

Check your ISP out. They may have a web access system. You never know unless you ask…

Yeah, my ISP does that too, but what I meant to come across is that I have a copy of every email sent to me since I started doing this a year or so ago. So if I’m at work and I need to access an email sent to me at home last month, I can still find a copy of it on my gmail account.

The ISP webmail thing is fine for email that you’ve not yet downloaded - but then it’s gone inot OE’s mailbox on my PC. (Sure you can leave it in the mailbox on the server, but the measly-sized mailboxes soon fill up).

Mark

I love gmail, but never use it in places that are web-visible. My msn account gets that job. I’ve got a 100 gmail accounts to give away if anyone wants one. Gmail gives 2 gigs of webspace so you don’t have to delete most email at all. I’ve been very happy with it, and that’s surprising. I figured it would be a lot more intrusive or ad filled, but it’s not any of that.

I have the same thing…

msn gets abused, gmail stays clean.

No spam or nuthin’, and the side adds are not bad at all.

W.