settings

last questions

1. under File \ Settings \ Preferences \ Recording Settings tab is 44100 ok for the sampling frequency?

2. same tab - Buffering - high gets rid od pops & clicks - right?

3. On the Master Mixer board there are 3 knobs - Master EQ1, Master EQ2, & Master EQ3 - why 3?

4. On the TrackMixer board there are 3 knobs - Track EQ1, Track EQ2, & Track EQ3 - why 3?

5. And why when I hit Record do 2 tracks appear? I remember that I don’t need that 2nd one - Can I change a setting to prevent it from appearing?

6. I went to http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php and downloaded the VST plugins. I then unzipped them in the folder n-track\VST pug ins. How can they don’t appear in the effects list in n-track? Do I need to import thm or something?

Thanks,
Jim

1. Yes, thats standard sample rate for CD pressing. Not using a Soundblaster, are you?

2. Not necesarily. Big topic. Dropouts could be caused by any number of things though buffering is a good place to start if you are having problems.

5. Click on the input VU meter and then slick on the little hammer to slect your recording settings. Sounds like you are set up to record stereo two mono tracks. Set it to record one mono, or one stereo if thats what you want.

6. They should be there. Under preferences/settings/paths, tick the box that says do a complete scan for Vsts. Close n track, open up again. and see if that fixes it.

Can’t answer your other Qs, sounds like N4 and I use N3.

3 & 4. These are controls for three bands of EQ for each track & the master channel. Click on the little graphic to their left for a graphical view.

Why three? EQ Primer

With regards to the EQ, the knobs are mostly there for the “mixer” user interface paradigm and in N-track they mostly serve to tell whether you have applied any EQ to the track. While you could actually use them to adjust the EQ, the “pop-up” graphical interface is so much more useful that I never touch them. I would prefer to see a little graphic of the current EQ curve and to use the dialog for real adjustment.

In “real” (as opposed to “virtual”) mixers these knobs are used to control the gain of fixed-band EQ filters. Flavio included them to complete the mixer graphical style and also allow those accustomed to mixing on such devices to use their normal approaches to mixing without having to learn the more powerful parametric equalizer which underlies the interface.

Some “real” mixers have sweepable bands (and more knobs) but most have simple EQ. Digital mixers may have more complex parametric EQ since they can share control elements (knobs etc.) between channels without making the control surface too complex. In a traditional analog board they have to balance between the need for control and the proliferation of knobs which adds cost and increases the difficulty of using the board. One knob per function per channel gets pretty hairy for EQ since each band needs gain, frequency, Q and filter type adjustments. Since there are typically 3-4 bands per channel that is a minimum of 6 more knobs per channel (with a couple of switches for filter type for two bands at least) to say nothing of the electronics (although this is a smaller problem than the knobs and pots).

Jim

Why three? Bass, Midrange, and Treble (the defaults – but in graphical mode you can change them to be anything).

PS: There is no “last question”, unless you die, or give up recording!