several MIDI questions

from a real noob at it

Just “blew the dust off” of my old copy of nTrack (since I found my registration code that I thought was long lost). I’m relearning the little bits I knew before and also trying some “piano roll” midi stuff for the first time ever. I have some questions.

1. All I’ve got is “general midi” for voices. Is there any (preferably free) way to get more sound banks available? I don’t need everything and the dog for what I’m likely to record, basically a good acoustic bass sound and small jazzy drum kit (brushed snare, hat and cymbal would probably be enough). If I was triggering a sample rather than synthing it I think I’d be happier.

EDIT: If I get other sounds will I have to re-do the piano roll or can I just assign the new instrument to my existing one?

2. Is there any info/tutorial about “quantize” with nTrack? Maybe a nice “try this as a base setting and toy from there” listing? I’d like my little robot bass to swing a bit and I have no idea what to do with the sliders and stuff in the quantize feature.

3. Last one (for now!)… I my dinking around with the quantize last night I got it so hosed up that it sounded like the poor drummer had the hiccups or something and I couldn’t seem to undo it. What’s the process for that? Ctrl-Z just didn’t seem to make any difference.

Thanks much for your time!

to get anything other than the standare GM1/2 soundset you have to use a plugin instrument - what this does is the instrument picks up the MIDI data you have inserted in N, then on playback (and live input) instead of the information going to the M-$oft synth the application diverts it to itself and plays out samples that it has stored in its preset library - there are many free VST instruments available on the net - go choose -

this is how to setup an instrument in N - insert blank MIDI channel - insert new instrument channel _ beware NO new channel is shown!!! (pick instrument from range shown) - right click on MIDI channel, ‘output’ to shown nstrument (or it will bypass plugin and go to M-$oft synth) -

sometimes an instrument may not open its interface automatically and as N does not have a ‘synth rack’ the only way to open the interface is to look at track faders for the one that has the name of the instrument in the box at the bottom - double clicking on the name will open the interface - this is also the only way to re-open the interface if you close it for any reason -

using MIDI keyboard - connect as per manufacturers instructions and set up MIDI in and outs in prefs (unless you want to send the MIDI out back to your keyboard check ‘M-$oft wavetable’ synth as MIDI OUT (even though you will not be using it with plugin instrument) - hit LIVE and you should hear notes when played -

quantise takes out iregularities in a MIDI track - what this does is to align the beats correctly - some software has a ‘Random’ feature that put in iregularities to make the MIDI output sound more realistic, if you dont like what you hear, use UNDO (in toolbar) to return to previous settings -HOWEVER once you have saved a quantised MIDI song thats it, you cannot alter it - so always save a backup copy of thr original version of your song, mark it something like XXXXX MIDI original 1 - then if you totally mangle the track you can reload the original and have another go -

in the GM1/2 MIDI convention any MIDI instrument can be assigned to any MIDI track (default is always Piano) N follows this convention, but N can be a bit difficult to set up - but now you know it can be done have a go and see what you can do - it is best to change the instrument in piano roll mode than through track prefs - i use Harmony Assistant for MIDI work as it allows me to insert real notes into a score and not work with the piano roll dash’s -

best not to use WDM drivers with MIDI - use ASIO or MME as WDM drivers will ask to be stopped if there is no input/output, this kills LIVE and stops any input - very annoying -

MME is a ‘slow’ driver this makes realtime MIDI input difficult as the sound of a note played may be delayed by upto a second before you hear it - changing buffers to low or very low will make the note return from N faster, but going to low will give audio breakup - it you have ASIO capability then you have to alter the sample rate via the soundcards control panel as ASIO switches off Ns buffer settings -

hope this helps - Dr J

First, yes, this helps a lot! Thanks!

<!–QuoteBegin>

to get anything other than the standare GM1/2 soundset you have to use a plugin instrument . . . there are many free VST instruments available on the net - go choose -

Any suggestions as to a good one? As I said, I’m especially interested in acoustic bass in minimal drum kit sounds, sampled if that’s possible.

<!–QuoteBegin>
best not to use WDM drivers with MIDI - use ASIO or MME as WDM drivers will ask to be stopped if there is no input/output, this kills LIVE and stops any input - very annoying

Is this only for when you’re playing a MIDI keyboard or will “running out” of MIDI track stop the recording you’re doing (i.e. a vocal or something)?

I do understand what quantise is for but have no idea where to begin setting the “random”, “plus or minus swing”, etc. sliders.

Thanks again!

There are all sorts of free VST’s, info and stuff here : KVR Audio and there are some good tutorials here: Audiominds

Enjoy,

cliff
:cool:

WDM DRIVERS -

just tried it to make sure it worked - imported midi track - added two blank audio tracks - armed recording for audio tracks - hit record, AND recording stopped at the end of MIDI track ? (N SHOULD NOT DO THIS) - tried it again and N recorded (AS IT SHOULD) past the end of the MIDI track OK -

as long as the WDM drivers have something to do (record/playback) they work OK - its only when you try to do something intermitantly like using a MIDI kbd where there is more than a few seconds before or during MIDI input that they complain - THEY ALSO - DO NOT LIKE TO BE OVERLOADED - so keep playback levels well within 0db or audio will be cut off when you least want it to be - the only good thing i can say about MME and WDM divers is that when N crash’s, N will start up again OK - if N crash’s with ASIO drivers in use then a full re-boot is required -

Dr J

GOOGLE for ‘rubber duck’ good roland TB303 emulator