Shameful question

Been asked 100 times

I know, this question has been asked 100 times and I am too dumb to assemble the right search terms apparantly to find old topics that cover. I am converting some records to digital. What app will automatically chop up the long wav file that results based on some sort of threshold? The first good answer gets stuck in the wiki as well as gets my eternal gratitude. :)

Aha, GoldWave! Duh…

Wouldn’t it be easier to make one long .wav file and do it manually? One side of an LP is only maybe 25 minutes long at the most…
That way you don’t have to try to find the “magic” threshold setting; LPs didn’t exactly have total silence between the tracks, afterall.

/I know you asked for an answer, not a debate. :laugh:

Quote (Bubbagump @ Dec. 14 2005,17:48)
Aha, GoldWave! Duh....

Well then... nevermind. :p

www.wavepurity.com has an “LP” processor that detect the tracks of an vynil disk based in treshold and time, then save then as separate wave files and can apply some batch process (normalize, declick, etc) to each one. Is affordable.

Hi Bubbagump:
It not a FREE utility… But I have used this one for a number of years now… This has most of the TOYS you need to Do-It-Right…

here

Bill…

Well, that’s a pretty cool thing actually Bubba - I didn’t know that it could be done that way.

I was going to post my usual Nero answer…

Try this free utility

http://www.spacetaxi.de/sf/waveknife.html

I like using neXsoft SampliCut

Quote (John @ Dec. 14 2005,17:50)
Wouldn't it be easier to make one long .wav file and do it manually? One side of an LP is only maybe 25 minutes long at the most...
That way you don't have to try to find the "magic" threshold setting; LPs didn't exactly have total silence between the tracks, afterall.

/I know you asked for an answer, not a debate. :laugh:

Fuinny thing is, that is what I ended up doing. The noise floor and crackle smessed with the alg that detects the silence. After about 10 minutes of goofing around I cut my losses and did it manually.

I was going to say… I have been using Goldwave for a long time and never could get that function to work properly. I always end up chopping manually.

:cool:

Quote (Bubbagump @ Dec. 14 2005,20:31)
Fuinny thing is, that is what I ended up doing. The noise floor and crackle smessed with the alg that detects the silence. After about 10 minutes of goofing around I cut my losses and did it manually.

Ah-ha! Good 'ole elbow-grease wins yet another round!
:laugh:

I have used DC6 for some years now. It is a great program for doing all sorts of audio editing and cleaning. It is especially good at removing noise (that is what it is written to do).

One time I recorded a choral concert in downtown Philly at a large church. It was the middle of the summer and it was raining. So they had the windows open (no air-conditioning) to cool the church. Well, the rain was steady and noisy and would have ruined the recording except that DC6 allowed me to sample just the sound of the rain and the program went in a pulled just that sound out of the recording. The result was pretty amazing and a little spooky. The recording cleaned up about 99% but every time a car rolled down the wet streets outside, you could hear the sound of the tires on the pavement moving left to right in the background (one way street). It was weird to hear that sound without the rain…

I’m using Groove Mechanic by Coyote. Works great…

I use GrooveMechanic, too.
It does a great job with detecting and fixing pops, too.
PR

Don’t get me wrong…I think Goldwave is great at NR and general editing. I have just never been really satisfied with it trying to mark silence in a large wave file.

:cool:

cliff