Shipping Upright Basses

Any ideas how to do this

Hi Folks,

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to ship an upright bass safely and economically.

I have a couple of uprights I need to sell - one a standard 3/4 and another a smaller model but still probably larger than anything I have ever shipped.

These things a bit more fragile than your average plywood Strat-clone so I figure that I need to have a plan in place if I want to sell them online.

Given the great resourcefulness you all seem to exhibit in building home studios and recording your music, I figured I would start by asking here.

Thanks,
TrackGrrrl

Cant’ get some sort of hard/flight case for them? Put them in, loosen off the strings and pack it moderatley firmly with newspaper or the like… maybe…

Hi TrackGrrrl,

I don’t know where you live, but if you live near a store that sells uprights, you could see if they have a shipping box for one. If they don’t right now, then ask them to save one for you. Otherwise, I would try to sell the basses locally.

I believe that upright shipping boxes have all sorts of hard cardboard supports insde the box to help support the bass. You really don’t want to build a shipping box out of wood, it would cost too much to build and too much to ship.

I didn’t know you played upright bass. I have been contemplating building an electric upright bass for some time. Do you own an electric upright? I love upright bass.

Anyway…good luck,

Mike

Hi,

Willy, If I were keeping the basses, I would surely think about a real case but since I am selling it is too darned expensive.

DrGuitar, good idea I will have to check around town for a box. There probably are a couple floating around somewhere in this big northeastern city.

I love upright but am physically unable to play - have not touched them in a long long time. Started to develop some sort of extreme joint pain many years back and then had my left wrist seriously damaged in a sports related situation. I could not play, type or do much of anything with my left hand for years and it will never be the same.

Gotta get real, I don’t have the physical nor the musical skills to justify owning these basses and I can use the cash.

Peace,
TrackGrrrl

Quote (TrackGrrrl @ May 16 2005,14:25)
Started to develop some sort of extreme joint pain many years back and then had my left wrist seriously damaged in a sports related situation.

This scares me greatly.

Kind of makes me want to limit what I do just in case an injury happens. After a mountain bike induced broken clavicle in 2002 I couldn't play at all for 3 months, and then only high up the fretboard for another 4 months.

That mountain bike doesn't see much use now. :(

Razorback,

Wanna buy a recumbent bike? Takes all the pressure off of your hands and wrists… :)

Peace,
TeackGrrrl