Shopping for a new audio interface

Do you get much noise, if at all, with it being a PCI card??

John: "Did you get the “M” version with the effects board?"
I got the “standard” version (1820 without an “M”). As far as I understood, the only difference is (small) quality difference with the AD/DA converters. (The actual PCI card is the same with both models, but they have a different Audio Dock box) This version, too, has the possibility to use the card’s processor for (included EMU) VST effects. Haven’t tested them much so far, but I’ll report to you when I have more experience…

John: "This unit has 6 inputs, right? Is that enough to record a drumset?"
Actually, eigth. Six line inputs plus two with TFpro mic preamps. Should be enough for a reasonably-sized drumset. (Although you need more mic preamps in case your drumset is not made by Simmons…)

syn707: "Do you get much noise, if at all, with it being a PCI card??"
All the converters are in the external box called Audio Dock, so the noisiness of the PC innards isn’t a problem. So far, the system seems to be nicely quiet.

Quote (Mwah @ Feb. 10 2005,01:35)
John: "This unit has 6 inputs, right? Is that enough to record a drumset?"
Actually, eigth. Six line inputs plus two with TFpro mic preamps. Should be enough for a reasonably-sized drumset. (Although you need more mic preamps in case your drumset is not made by Simmons...)

Someone mentioned that you can expand this unit to 12 inputs for $200, what's the deal with that?

Add an ADAT converter, like the ada8000, get another 8 ins.

John, the 1820 or 1820M can carry up to 18 ins and 20 outs.

2 Mic/line ins (Decent Pres too)
6 Line ins
8 channels via ADAT
2 channels S/PDIF

Same with the OUTs with the addition of the headphone output for 20 total.

I have the 1820M. It’s a great card. I’m thinking about a Berry ADA8000 or M-Audio Octane to get the extra 8 inputs via ADAT. The Berry is around two bills the M-Audio is about SIX bills. (!!!)

TG

http://www.behringer.com/ADA8000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

SO then for a total of less than $800, one can have 16 inputs to play with? Cool. Consider me schooled. :)

-John
:cool: