shopping

My wife and I promised that we would not do any shopping yesterday, having a healthy fear of the rabid deal-seekers, but then my favorite friends took all of our kids away for the afternoon unexpectedly, so we went out for an early, quiet dinner, and Guitar Center is just across the street from the very fine restaurant we went to (Italia Gardens, owned by our neighbor, and they have the most incredible spaghetti sauce, the 1931 recipe, developed to feed the masses of GM workers back in the day), so we ended up considering an acoustic for our daughter, who is now Taylor Swift’s biggest fan and writes really good songs herself, but we couldn’t afford a Taylor, so we got a very usable Fender acoustic at a Black Friday price, and for our other daughter, who wants to be in Harry Potter movies and has taken to acting in the school plays, we got this little Alesis video camera with a couple of SD condensers on it, marketed to people who like to record concerts, for 76% off, also Black Friday. Man, the store was jammed. I only pointed out 7 or 8 things that would be good for me…

http://alesis.com/videotrack

Black Friday for most is when rich Americans line up early for useless junk they regret getting and try to return but they can’t. Kinda like Election day…

That Alesis video camera looks like a very cool item. You’re gonna want to get some larger high-speed SD cards to go with it.

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Nov. 27 2010, 8:40 AM)

Black Friday for most is when rich Americans line up early for useless junk they regret getting and try to return but they can't. Kinda like Election day...

Rich? Don't you mean poor getting suckered into over spending because they are "saving so much"?

Heh…

UJ

PS Stayed home and worked all day. Git 'er dun kinda stuff…

Ha! You guys are rich.

We’ll be rich in kids’ smiles in a few weeks. :)

CAPITALIST PIG!! :laugh:

UJ

Pinko commie jerk!

Oh, that’s me, a capitalist pinko commie pig jerky.

Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 27 2010, 7:42 PM)

Oh, that's me, a capitalist pinko commie pig jerky.

Yeah, yeah... whatever...

Now go steal something and save the planet.

UJ

pig jerky! you guys like that sort of thing, doncha?

oh Tom - I done gots Bubba and er… what’s his name, into jerky making. (I almost typed ‘jerking meat’, but… as you can see it don’t look too nice, and I doubt I could teach them anything regarding that.)

I actually dried some pork last week - amazing.

Sorry 'bout that pinko commie stuff. If you follow the thread you’d see I was talking to neither of you. :agree:

Oh, I totally follow you. Having written stuff on philosophers from St. Thomas Aquinas to Marx, I’ve been called everything at one point or another. All of it justified.

I had some pemmican once.

Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 27 2010, 9:23 PM)

I've been called everything at one point or another.
All of it justified.

Me too! Peer recognition is not all it's cracked up to be... :laugh:

UJ

PS My jerk jerking jerky jerker is supposed to arrive Wednesday! WOOT! Gonna make some potted meat jerky first thing...

You need a machine to dry meat? How odd. I thought you’d just hang it from the branches or something. Dry it in the sun. Heck, I dunno, when I think of jerky I think of slim Jims at the gas station back when I was a teen driving a tow truck. I suspect you mean something a bit more refined than that stuff.

Quote: (TomS @ Nov. 29 2010, 12:38 PM)

You need a machine to dry meat?
How odd.
I thought you'd just hang it from the branches or something.
Dry it in the sun.
Heck, I dunno, when I think of jerky I think of slim Jims at the gas station back when I was a teen driving a tow truck.
I suspect you mean something a bit more refined than that stuff.

Well it's a matter of economy. 'Store bought' jerky is about 30 bucks a POUND. Making your own is much cheaper with the added benefit being able to make it the way you like it. Spicier, not so spicy, more/less salty/peppery etc...

I looked at the 'home brew' methods of drying meat as well. The economical method you mentioned, i.e. hanging it on branches doesn't work very well. Too humid around these parts... and too many thieves running around. (Two legged and four legged.) The 'home brew' driers end up costing as much or MORE than the machines/kits you can just order up. The one I ordered comes with enough goodies to whip up about 10 pounds of jerky. Buy (or kill) the meat, mix in the cure and spice, let it cure, throw it in the moosheen for the night... In the morning; Jerky. YUM! I can't wait.

UJ