Show your home studio ....

i want to build a home studio

can you make pics of your studio and could you send some pics ???????

i want to buil d my home studio this summer…

thanks

Here’s one in progress, from a friend of mine – probably a little more involved than you’re planning …

Castaway Studio … in progress

and a couple interior shots

Here’s a website to bookmark:
Ethan Winer, and look for “bass trap”, and see this thread on audiominds.com with pics from someone who built such bass traps.

Good luck & have fun. Also, for folks to help you better, give us a clue what you’re thinking about:
- budget range
- location (spare room, basement, new addition)
- what you’ll be recording – just you vs. bands, miking piano, acoustic guitar, vocals, etc.

Because there’s a HUGE range.

My $0.02 worth: You can go cheap on just about everything and still do great work, but plan to spend your best capital on

(a) good instruments
(b) good near-field monitors, and don’t waste the expense by putting them near any walls.

After that, you still need decent stuff, but there’s lots of very inexpensive decent stuff and you can always improve as funds become available.

Here are pics of various ‘studios’ I’ve had, all of which are good examples of what not to do; Learjeff.com/studio.

Quote (learjeff @ June 24 2006,11:34)
Here's one in progress, from a friend of mine -- probably a little more involved than you're planning ...

Castaway Studio ... in progress

and a couple interior shots

Here's a website to bookmark:
Ethan Winer, and look for "bass trap", and see this thread on audiominds.com with pics from someone who built such bass traps.

Good luck & have fun. Also, for folks to help you better, give us a clue what you're thinking about:
- budget range
- location (spare room, basement, new addition)
- what you'll be recording -- just you vs. bands, miking piano, acoustic guitar, vocals, etc.

Because there's a HUGE range.

My $0.02 worth: You can go cheap on just about everything and still do great work, but plan to spend your best capital on

(a) good instruments
(b) good near-field monitors, and don't waste the expense by putting them near any walls.

After that, you still need decent stuff, but there's lots of very inexpensive decent stuff and you can always improve as funds become available.

Here are pics of various 'studios' I've had, all of which are good examples of what not to do; Learjeff.com/studio.

nice stuff learjeff, i seen you here before but never heard your music or seen the studio. gawd i wish i had some space to record in. i live in a little tiny apartment with wall neighbors---so you know that story. hopefully by the end of this year, we will get a house----can't wait.

anyway, keep writing and recording.... :cool:

I live in a loft and a little more than half my 1000 sq ft space is the studio portion. My ceilings in this old converted warehouse are something like 14 ft high, which gives the best room tone of any of the various “bedroom” studios I have had. Pics on my site…

http://music-tom.com

Yeah, Tom – high ceilings really do help, especially for miking drums and piano.

It’s good to see those near-field monitors nowhere near a wall. Most home studio pics I see have the mixing station against the wall with monitors on the table – gak! Total waste of good speakers. Yours might be a bit wider apart than recommended, but you won’t get reflections off the desk that way and I bet it works great.

jwgeetar, consider getting a guitar amp/cabinet modeler like a Line 6 POD or Johnson J-Station. Plug your geetar into that & plug it into your DAW, put on some headphones, and rock away. There’s a lot to be said for silent recording!

<!–QuoteBegin>

anyway, keep writing and recording…

Only as long as the ol’ ticker keeps ticking!
Quote (Tom Hicks @ June 29 2006,08:34)
I live in a loft and a little more than half my 1000 sq ft space is the studio portion. My ceilings in this old converted warehouse are something like 14 ft high, which gives the best room tone of any of the various "bedroom" studios I have had. Pics on my site.....

OH YEAAA--thats my future studio......tom. do you guys record originals?

<!–QuoteBegin>

Yours might be a bit wider apart than recommended, but you won’t get reflections off the desk that way and I bet it works great.

One of the local studios here has a really wide, probably pretty close to toms, but with mackie monitors. The imagining was incredible.

Mine are equidistant from each other in relation to my head. I’d have them a bit wider if the desk could accomodate it. I’ve got some semirigid on the wall behind them, but it really needs to be hung lower than what it is currently. The imaging is ok, but I reckon it could be better.

Woxner - how far apart are your yorkies?

Quote (jwgeetar @ June 29 2006,11:29)
Quote (Tom Hicks @ June 29 2006,08:34)
I live in a loft and a little more than half my 1000 sq ft space is the studio portion. My ceilings in this old converted warehouse are something like 14 ft high, which gives the best room tone of any of the various “bedroom” studios I have had. Pics on my site…

OH YEAAA–thats my future studio…tom. do you guys record originals?

I play in a cover band but do record a few originals from time to time. Here’s one by my in-house drummer:

http://music-tom.com/iraq.mp3
Quote (learjeff @ June 29 2006,10:25)
Yeah, Tom -- high ceilings really do help, especially for miking drums and piano.

It's good to see those near-field monitors nowhere near a wall. Most home studio pics I see have the mixing station against the wall with monitors on the table -- gak! Total waste of good speakers. Yours might be a bit wider apart than recommended, but you won't get reflections off the desk that way and I bet it works great.

jwgeetar, consider getting a guitar amp/cabinet modeler like a Line 6 POD or Johnson J-Station. Plug your geetar into that & plug it into your DAW, put on some headphones, and rock away. There's a lot to be said for silent recording!

anyway, keep writing and recording....

Only as long as the ol' ticker keeps ticking!
Yeah, the drum sounds are way better in the loft than I used to get in the bedroom.

Tom, we don’t want to hear about what you used to get in the bedroom. This is a G-rated forum!

Hi Willy, Tom and All:
I have not been around the Board as much as I’ve been and should be for a while now. I just came accross this topic today… and was reading some of the replies to this thread.

It’s great to see how the “OLD” Board members have matured/grown along with n-Track… and the “Trading of Ideas” that of each of us has learned from eachother and the School-of-Hard-Knocks… and the DO’s-and-DON’T’s of Tracking-and-Mixing, and ALL…

If there’s anything you want to learn about this buisness … just Lurk around this Board’s topics and sooner-or-later you’ll find all the answers to how to get your song to a CD…

There happens to be some pretty “Heavy-Duty” Audio guys “OUT THERE” lurking around this Board… You may rarely see them replying to or opening a topic of discussion here but never the less… they are around this Board…

Believe me… when I say “This-About-That”… :O :;):

Anyway… I have this “Arithmatic Formula” that computes where to “Place” your monitor speakers in your Room/Listening Area… I posted IT on an earlier “Build” of this Board… mabey, 2-3 Board builds ago… I know I have IT in a folder/file on one of my Hard Drives… I put it where I wouldn’t forget where to find IT… ???

I got IT from RADAR Wayne way back when… He found IT UP Here somewhere… Who knows??

What the formula does is… position the Boxes so they are in the DEAD Spot of the room according to it’s dimensions acoustically and “In-Your Face” so-to-speak… As you walk around your room you are always smacking your face with/into them… When you sit in the “Listening Area” where you have “Hands-On” to your electronics you are in the room’s Sweet-Spot where this is little if any standing waves and all, no matter what Room Treatment you employ in the Room…

If I could find IT I’d post IT…

The long and the short of IT is…

They are not against any walls…

They are not in any corners…

They are not on any tables…

They are not positioned in any symetrical measurment of the room…

I’ve found that if you are somewhere in the room and in front of them, or behind them you can always hear the speaker that is farthest away from where you are, in the room…

I think it’s because the Room’s reflections are an intrical part of what you should hear when you create your Tracks and Mixes… when this formula is used to place your monitors…

I wish there was an easier way to put this idea into words…

Bill…