Sir Paul on PBS

Sir Paul.

Here’s something I didn’t know:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Höfner 500/1 Bass
With the Fender Precision out of his price range, McCartney bought the German-made, violin-shaped Höfner for about 30 pounds in 1961, when the Beatles were performing in Hamburg. The bass’s symmetry, which suited it to both right- and left-handed players, may have also influenced his purchase. McCartney ordered a second one in 1963, to use as a spare, but it became his principal instrument and a Beatles icon, commonly referred to as the Beatle Bass.

Eyup!

In the UK, many aspiring guitarists played Hofner guitars in the early sixties.
I remember my elder brother had a Hofner Galaxy and the other guitarist in his band played the six-string version of Sir Paul’s guitar.
Thirty quid was more than two month’s wages for the average 17 year old back then, so it was a lot of money. No wonder Gibsons & Fenders were thin on the ground.

Steve

I remember as a youth, a top of the line American made mail order, direct to consumer guitar that I wanted desperately was $350. Which was CHEAP compared to Fibson and Gender. It might as well have been $350 million though…

D

I bought my Telecaster for $75 in 1964 and sold it for $60 in 1971. :(

oh well…
wanna know about my baseball card collection from mid 50’s to about 1961 which my mom threw out when I left for the service in 1969?
:(

oh well…if wishes were fishes, we’d all have fish.

cliff
:cool:

I watched the Macca special on PBS last night. It was really quite entertaining. He played a few tunes off his new album which is outstanding by the way, particularly the song Jenny Wren imo.

He did a couple of multitracking demos, in particular the 12 bar he threw down at the end was pretty cool to see/hear, if only for the instant quality that came out on playback. No doubt his producer dude who was on-hand was probly doing an instant mix, but I guess when you’re in Abbey Road, with the best LD’s money can buy - literally hanging all over the place, it’s gonna sound that good straight out of the box. I could only drool.

Eyup!

<!–QuoteBegin>

He did a couple of multitracking demos, in particular the 12 bar he threw down at the end was pretty cool to see/hear, if only for the instant quality that came out on playback. No doubt his producer dude who was on-hand was probly doing an instant mix, but I guess when you’re in Abbey Road, with the best LD’s money can buy - literally hanging all over the place, it’s gonna sound that good straight out of the box. I could only drool.

It was shown in the UK a couple of months ago. I really enjoyed it.
I think I must be an old cynic though, because I wondered how much post production time had been spent on polishing the mix prior to transmission.
After all, it wasn’t a live show :;):

PS You must have noticed he was using ProTools :angry:

Steve

didnt recognise which actual tracking tool it was, but it sure wasn’t N !