Skins

Skins

Will N-Track every have skin capabilities. The one thing that I’ve never liked about n-track is the way it looks and feels. I know it’s rather aesthetic, but I like those black/silver sleek designs with cool looking buttons and sliders. I would like to fit more of n-track on my screens. Even with two monitors, I have trouble getting mixers and what not the way I like on screen - I run out of room.

Hopefully that is on Flavio’s to do list!

Mike

The subject of “Skins” in n-Track comes up from time to time and it doesn’t get a lot of users’ support. The consensus seems to be: "Keep building a better, more functional program and worry about the glitter later!"

Do a search of this forum and you can get a lot of user input on the subject from past threads.

I, for one, would like to see Flavio devote his entire efforts to developing the best multi-track program available…not necessarilty the "prettiest!"

If a fancy GUI hogs system resources then, by all means, keep it simple and devote those resources to making music.

My 2 Lire.

Don

I agree with Don, however I will say N-track does not look too impressive to clients when they have a look at what you are doing. I’ve heard of many people who “upgrade” their studios by making their computers look cooler, and they actually got more clients.

I agree that functionality is more important than looks, however it can exnhance the experience and feel of a program if it also looks good. Also I’m sure changing the look of the windows and buttons wouldn’t use any more system resources than at present. (That is, changing the bitmaps currently used for the buttons and such, rather than having a skinning utility that might use more resources).

While there is no integral “skin” concept in n-Track, there is a quite a bit you can do to enhance the looks if you feel the need.
Read the Reference—>Customizing the program’s looks chapter in the program’s Help.

Quote (Dyers @ Oct. 24 2005,02:31)
I agree with Don, however I will say N-track does not look too impressive to clients when they have a look at what you are doing. I’ve heard of many people who “upgrade” their studios by making their computers look cooler, and they actually got more clients.

Mass-marketing is its own concept. For my input of .02, for what that’s worth, I have to stand up for the “just keep the good part coming” school of thought on this. As long as there are stability issues to get through, and signal-flow-type features to refine, GUI remains superfluous! Think for a minute how much time and bread is spent on the presentation of a new SUV model. Now think of all the recalls we hear about, maybe have to deal with directly. I just don’t want to be left on the side of the highway on my way to a job. At least you know there aren’t problems because Flavio has spent all his time on a neat-o sci-fi looking GUI!

Also, I get the idea that Flavio is the only guy who actually does work on this? How much can one guy do? n-Track has the integrity of keeping it’s priorities very down-to-earth: Form follows function. Of course, he evidently chose this (sort of chincy-looking) interface, but it is sort of refreshingly simple. Maybe it’s a ploy? “Looks chincy, works great- and it’s cheap!” Hmmmm…anyway…

Kind of a drag that a client would be disappointed by the look of your app., and might be dissuaded from hiring you. But it’s an old problem, judging by appearance above actual substance. So I speak from an independent’s point of view; I like the GUI! Looks a bit like a kid’s playroom! However, Dyers, I see the point: No matter what you do,

“You better look sharp!”
-Joe Jackson.

Funny thing is, I have one of those lollipop mics (Astatic D-104) on a shelf in the basement right in front of where visitors end up playing, and it gets all the comments, but no one says much about the totally cool Rode ntk.

I dunno, I think I’m getting to the point where I would like to see a really slick GUI of the sort Karma describes. Mind you, I feel sort of dirty saying that…I mean, the GUI is really fabulously functional :)

The simple, clean, FUNCTIONAL GUI is what I love most about n-Track. Cubase VST anyone? GUI-BARF!

TG

Unless skins is done in a VERY customizable way (can completely replace, move and remove buttons and anything else on the screen) the original reason Mike asked for it is irrelevent. Much can be done already to solve that.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I would like to fit more of n-track on my screens. Even with two monitors, I have trouble getting mixers and what not the way I like on screen - I run out of room.

Skins isn’t going to add any functionalety to solve this that isn’t already in the app.

I was just comparing the GUI in Power Tracks Pro Audio to n-Track. PTPA looks like an old Windows 3.1 (16 bit) application with its square buttons and rigid, boxy look but, it works very well! They (PTPA) are more concerned with functinality than with looks and glitter.

Dyers,

Its sad but true that clients are more impressed with the “sizzle than they are with the steak.” Maybe you could get some screen dumps of Neuendo or one of the big ticket apps and use them as screen savers just to impress clients. :D Or do some real knock out graphics of the “ultimate” studio and let the clients see that on your screen. Remember that 95% of advertising is hype and 5% deception. Most clients wouldn’t know the difference anyway!

There is something to be said, from the professional level, for keeping clients out of your studio or at least for keeping them at arm’s reach. You are not required to “teach” them all of your tricks of the trade that you have labored over for years in your personal education process! I just can’t imagine a recording engineer allowing people into the studio. People with a lot less experience than you will want to “tweak” something and you will have lost control of the session. I’ve never met a vocalist who doesn’t want you to boost the vox tracks a couple of dB. See what I mean? Now who is the engineer?

Don ??? ??? :D :D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Remember that 95% of advertising is hype and 5% deception.

I’m sorry, but I just felt a need to quote that. :)

Yeah, Tom,

I guess that I differentiate ‘hype’ from ‘deception’ in my mind.

Greg Mackie used to advertise “Balls To The Wall” power on an Audio Control product of his. I wonder what scientific instument is calibrated that way. Aye wot!?

Such an expression is not a lie, it just doesn’t say anything meaningful but people remember it and ‘think’ they are getting something. Ron Kolaha was/is Greg’s ad copy writer and he has a gift for coming up with such “catch phrases” although you don’t see much of it in the Mackie product ads today. If you have a good product you don’t (shouldn’t) have to 'hype" it.

Deception, to me, is the rating PIP (Peak Instantaneous Power), for example. It has no real meaning. You may be able to short across the output terminals on a power amp and get 1000 watts PIP for 1 microsecond before letting all the smoke out. But under a sustained load you may be able to get but a tiny fraction of that which makes the term meaningless eyewash.

A couple of ‘hype’ phrases that stick out in my mind are: “The taste of the new generation!” (Pepsi), “Wouldn’t you really rather have a Buick?” (GM), and “Ford has a better idea!” (Ford) None of those phrases make any promises but they all implant an idea in the consumer’s mind that any other choice would be a bad, foolish one. They accomplish their intended goal without making a promise to the consumer. The consumer fills in the blanks in his mind. Who would want to drink something from “the old generation,” or drive a car designed from a “worse” idea? The Buick phrase implants doubts about any other choice. They are effectively playing with our minds.

Ron Kolaha once loaned me a book on “Direct Mail Advertising” (I guess that I’ll have to return it one day) and a lot of these concepts are covered in great detail. Its not my own wisdom here. (Although you “can” quote me on it if you wish!) Just send money!

Don

Yes, part of my answer was fitting it all on screen. I guess what I meant was that things could be smaller. I find the knobs so darn huge. The mixer is not really as functional as some of my other programs, so I would like the opportunity to change that if possible. Lastly, Flavio is an awesome programmer and has managed to actually keep up with the multi million dollar companies and their flagship products, so I do not ask these questions intending to stir up a hornets nest. It’s just that I am used to using a certain calibre of program and would like n-track, since I am devoting a lot of my studio time to it, to be able to look and “feel” a bit more like other serious multitrackers - and that is because I CONSIDER N-Track a serious multitracker - with no disrespect toward it.

On that note, Flavio has had YEARS to get the bread and butter right - I had this software at 2.0 and then again at 4.1 and it has not changed in looks one iota. Perhaps a professional artist brought on staff for a makeover would not be such a bad thing.

Just my 4 cents - double the opinion is worth double the amount.

Mike

Mike,

I hesitate to ask, but what screen resolution are you running? I am using v3.3 and not having a problem with the knob size. I remember trying to run the “Blueline” plugins and the windows were so big that one couldn’t click on the “Close” or “Minimize” buttons to exit the plugs. I had to first change my screen rez to 600 pixels X 800 pixels (or somesuch) or smaller to be able to see those buttons. One my screen the knobs appear to be about 36 pixels (0.5 inches) in diameter. Which seem about right to me. There may be a setting in “preferences” to change the GUI dimentions but, without looking it up in the Users’ Guide, I can’t confirm that.

Youtr suggestiuon that Flavio hire a Graphics designer for the GUI would double the cost of the program in one fell swoop. Yes, Flavio is alone on the development end and can’t afford that sort of help. I know that he once advertised for a C++ programmer but I don’t think he ever hired one. Flavio told me that he never found a “qualified” applicant. (I hope that none of the applicants are reading this! :D

About a year or so back a fellow n-Track user volunteered to rework the interface for free but he wanted Flavio to send him the source code for n-Track so he could do the graphics. Need I say that that never happened!? Bravo! Flavio, amico!

Also, if memory serves (and it doesn’t), v3.0 plus did indeed give us a more modern GUI with rounded, more dimensional-looking buttons.

Take a look at Power Track Pro Audio which is in the same price range as n-Track and you will see their idea of a GUI. Perfectly functional app, but butt ugly in my opinion. And PG Music has a lot more money (Canadian Loonies) to throw at it than Flavio has.

So, please, lets agree to disagree on this point (Skins).

Don

I am running 1280x1024 on each monitor (yes, I need to wear glasses) and I am running a Radeon 9600 XT Pro dual video graphics card. Both monitors are 19" flat screen monitors and both are using component (RGB + sync) inputs.

Honestly, even with those reasonably high-end specs, the GUI does seem to be a bit too big for my tastes.

However, I agree to disagree.

Mike

Quote (Don Gaynor @ Oct. 24 2005,19:08)
Ron Kolaha once loaned me a book on "Direct Mail Advertising" (I guess that I'll have to return it one day) and a lot of these concepts are covered in great detail. Its not my own wisdom here. (Although you "can" quote me on it if you wish!) Just send money!

Don

Maybe we should pitch in and send you some postage! :laugh:

Sloom,

Good one! :D :D :D

I accept PayPal!

Don :D :laugh:

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’ve never met a vocalist who doesn’t want you to boost the vox tracks a couple of dB.

My singer always wants his buried…

<!–QuoteBegin>

and it has not changed in looks one iota.

Well, that’s not quite correct - the buttons changed a while back, didn’t they?