Skins

Doesn’t sizing up a client include assessing their attitude toward your scenario? And the possibility of conflict concerning their perception of your system- and how it recommends your level of professionalism? I’d guess you have to keep bringing them back to the sound of your results.
Thought-provoking Q: How many clients do you think actually knew the name brand of the mixing desk an engineer was using, before the whole software thing became de rigeur?

In this light, it’s a real corner ProTools has- by virtue of their name- as well as the look of it, I guess. I have no answer, as I’m not a professional engineer. I do this out of sheer personal necessity! But I’ve been around awhile, and still have but few reasonable answers.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Doesn’t sizing up a client include assessing their attitude toward your scenario?

Yeah, I agree, as I only work with guys who are ameniable to working in a home studio with modest gear. If everybody’s upfront to start with it makes things much easier. Half the time the people I work with will see the software and ask if it’s protools. Most of the time they’ve had a play with the stuff in one form or another and I’m yet to have anyone say “protools or nothing”. Especially at the prices I charge!

When I first started out with DAWs, I had a guy tell me I should be going to ADAT instead of hard drive…

Willy.

It’s not “Pro Tools” or nothing attitude… its the “Is that Pro Tools?” “No” “Oh disappointed look Do you have Pro Tools?”

Even if they know nothing about any of it, they still know the name Pro Tools and assume Pro Tools is the way to go.

I guess that attitude though is more amongst clients who either know nothing, or are Pro Tools snobs… I’ve met an abundance of PT snobs in my life!

End of the day, clients hire me because I get it done cheap and fast and well. “Why don’t you use Pro Tools” “Because I don’t like it, I’m more comftable with this program and can operate it smoother. And I’d have to charge you more if I was using Pro Tools” :D

Why don’t you look them straignt in the eye and say ProTools is extremely expensive and you’d rather buy something that works as well but is much easier to use and for much less to boot?

They never would believe you. Seriously… a lot of people don’t see how anything can be better then Pro Tools.

Who said better? I said works just as well and is a lot cheaper. If they don’t trust you any more than that then they don’t need to be in your studio.

“something that works as well but is much easier to use” <-- Given two choices of software that does the same thing but ones easier… which do you think is better?

And it has nothing to do with trust. Fact is PT is expected by most people going to a computer based studio, unless the person is well into audio in which they know about other programs - not to say they still wouldnt expect PT. There are many many people who have used a lot of programs but will insist on PT whenever possible just because it is PT. End of story.

You can’t win 'em all. Keep putting out your good work, and they will show up at your door.

Quote (Sloom @ Nov. 03 2005,14:32)
You can't win 'em all. Keep putting out your good work, and they will show up at your door.

They do muhahahaha. :angry:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Fact is PT is expected by most people going to a computer based studio, unless the person is well into audio in which they know about other programs - not to say they still wouldnt expect PT.

I’m really surprised about that. I would have said that most musicians who go into a studio have no idea about the recording process let alone know what the tools are called.

My experience tells me that theres those few who are just started to record who are like that, and then theres those who are actually serious and want something decent out of it. Id say that between those to, and the 2nd one they know enough to have certain expectations, but not enough to have a wide spread knowledge of all the bits and bobs available.