skips during playback/record

Chunks of data cut out

I wonder if anyone may have a simple fix for an issue I am having that keeps me from being able to do any serious recording. I can record an audiotrack, then play it back while adding a second audio track. There are two things that happen.1: sometimes the playback just freezes for a half second, then resumes. 2: the recorded data can have a slice removed. It is like the recording stops, while the live audio keeps playing, then it resumes recording. What was missed during this freeze up is gone forever. The recorded wave doesn’t have any dead spots, it just abruptly changes when it passes from the spot just before the freeze to the spot where it starts recording again. I have a Seagate FreeAgent 7200 rpm 250G external hard drive. Any ideas would be appreciated. :(

You’ve messed with buffering settings?

That seems to be a problem. I am using an Mbox from Digidesign. I could not use Pro Tools due to incompatible chip set. So my next option was to use the hardware along with ntracks. I have downloaded a driver from Digidesign, but there doesn’t appear to be a way to open the software and make any changes to the buffer settings. Since it is ASIO, I can’t make any change from within ntracks either. I tried ASIO4ALL, where I can make buffer setting change to my hears content, but had zero luck getting the audio signal into the computer. I figured the Mbox was only set up to use the Digidesign driver, period. So I don’t know how to change the buffer settings.

This will sound goofy. I have experienced the same problem, although I’m not using the same equipment you’re using so I don’t know if that will make a difference. For instance I might record a vocal line and then play it back to see how it sounds and I get garble; singing where there shouldn’t be and nothing where there should be and the music sounds like it’s skipping and jumping. It sounds like it’s reading something that you can’t see. I grab the node at the beginning of the track I just recorded and slide it to the right a good ways then slide it back, returning it to it’s original position. Hit rewind and push play and it works. I told you it was goofy but it works for me every time I have the problem.

That sounds like a good tip should I run into your issue in the future. My issue seems to be little different. You sound like you have your whole wave form intact, and the sliding fixes a glitch. With my error, imagine cutting up a complete wav file into 3 sections, a, b, and c. Throw away b. Now slide c to the left so it butts up to a and join a and c together. Sliding the wave won’t help restore the missing data from b.

I dunno, true, that is a really weird one.

mfl - I’ve had the same problem you’ve had before, and I always just closed out and reopened the program. You way is quicker. Used to be when folks came up with screwy solutions to oddball problems in the analogue world they’d grace them with the name “workarounds.” :D

I may have stumbled upon the answer to my own issue, and am posting here in case anyone else may find this useful. For unknown reasons, when I first started using N, I could make no changes to the buffer settings using my digidesign Mbox. Within N, when I accessed the ASIO control panel and changed the buffer settings, I got an error message that said “buffer no longer matched the hardware setting” and that changes to ASIO parameters could not be made in Ntracks, but had to be made in the the sound card driver. No, for unknown reasons, that has changed. I can now access the ASIO control panel in N, make changes, and it appears that they are accepted. I bumped the buffer to 4k, and it seems to have fixed the problem. I also noticed that every time I recorded a track, I was actually recording 4 tracks simultaneously, 1L 1R, 2L, 2R. Even though only one had audio info, the other three blank tracks were being written to the hard drive and updated continuously during recording. That no doubt put a strain on the hard drive. I have discovered that I can no go into the ASIO control panel and limit the number of inputs to 2 instead of 4. I’m sure that helps also.:smiley: