Slow response to play/stop press

Hi-

I’m a new user of n-track. I’ve noticed that there’s quite a significant delay between when I hit play and when the music starts, and also between when i hit stop and when the music stops.

I’m using an Athlon 2700+ with 1.5G of RAM, and I’ve got a serial ATA 7200RPM HD. The weak link in my system is that I’m using a SoundBlaster that is probably 5-6 years old.

Any thoughts on why this might be?

(I’m putting up a separate post about a sound card question)

Thanks!

Your buffering settings are probably set too high. Knock them down a tad and see what happens.

Quote (Bubbagump @ Dec. 16 2005,11:20)
Your buffering settings are probably set too high. Knock them down a tad and see what happens.

any suggestions as to what the "appropriate" settings should be?

(i know the obvious answer would be "the setting at which the delay goes away"... but i am hoping maybe there's a typical/accepted value)

thanks again.

See if you can’t get away with setting all of the buffers size to 1024 samples and buffer # to 2.
If you get any glitches during playback or record, you may need to bump the sample size up a little for the respective buffer setting (Playback and/or Recording).
Track counts and the amount of DSP you are doing will dictate how low of buffers you can get away with on your system.
Experimentation is key.

Better yet, download the kx drivers and use ASIO. I don’t know where to get them, but I understand that most folks that do DAW work on a SB Live use them.

I have the same problem. It seems like it takes n-track forever to respond to stop and play. I am using build 1980 with the asio drivers of Aardvark 2496. It is pretty stable and I can record midi while playing kontakt as a vsti and also record four tracks of audio at 14 ms latency. This became and issue for me with the later versions of 4.x

Larrye

His computer should be able to handle buffering at 512 pretty easily… The playback buffer is the one that is giving you trouble. Lower it and see if that helps. The more effects and such you add, the larger the buffer may need to be.