Is it doable?
I’ve got drum tracks recorded. They are everything I would want in terms of technical performance and sound quality, but the song was played a little too up-tempo for my liking. I’d love to ratchet the tempo down slightly before overdubbing the other instruments. Can it be done?
It has a “Change Tempo” feature.
I wouldn’t recomend doin’ it for guitar or vocals, because the notes tend to change pitch when slowed or sped up. I shortened a song one time and the vocal came out like the chipmunks! I think you need to lenthen the track to slow it down.
But with a beat, shouldn’t be that bad. It might make the kick drum a little lower in pitch, but that can be fixed with the pitch thingy inside Ntrack as well.
The feature you desire is inside Ntrack already.
It’s called lenthen or shorten track. Not shure exactly where it is or I’d leave a picture for you. I’m not in my makeshift studio, so I can’t even reference the program right now.
Someone with more info will chime in soon enough so hang in there.
How about the time stretch in N ?
if you use cool edit you can change pitch, or time without affecting the other, or you can change both.
in n-Track, if you change one, it’ll change the other- ie chipmunk voices with a faster track.
I dont know how you recorded the drum tracks but if its a loop or the actual recording…youll likely have to splice them up by locating all transients and realigning them against the new tempo grid and then using crossover fades between the wave clips…mind you…its tedious!
If its a midi recording, increasing the tempo will adjust your midi drums for you.
If you created your own loops with drum samples, just change the tempo from the loop editor and render that back to a WAV to be reimported to NTrack.
for the record, I downloaded that Audacity program and it got the job done. The program has a feature that allows you to slow the tempo without changing the pitch, but I found that didn’t work too well. The program applies the effect to both the left and right channels of each track, but when it was done I was finding that the left and right channels were not quite in sync with one another (very slight, but problematic…you’d hear a snare drum hit and then the ghost of that hit a millisecond later). So since it was just drum tracks I opted to use the ‘Slow Tempo with pitch change’ effect and that worked great.
When I used Audacity for pitch shifting (which is involved in pitch-constant tempo changes), the results really reeked. It sounded worse than 32k MP3 Blade results. It was so bad I assumed I must have done something wrong, and I tried again. Same results. A big disappointment. So be sure to check the fidelity.