Sluggish VU's with WDM

I have always used ASIO on my system but I have been wanting to record at 16 bit to save having to mixdown to 16 from 24 bit when I have only created one wav file.

For some reason, when I try to record at 16 bit with ASIO, the right channel looks all squashed in the view. It plays OK but looks funny.

WDM doesn’t do this with the view but the VU’s run very sluggish when using WDM.

Anyone else experience this? Got a fix?

Thanks, Terry

What’s your computer specs? Ive had to adjust buffer settings before using WDM,but have not experienced “sluggish VU’s”.Sounds like a resource problem,memory,cpu,etc…Are you running XP on a fairly up to date PC?

Edit:Hey,I don’t know what you’re running for a sound card,but you might try updating the drivers if you haven’t already.

I running a P4 1.7 with a Delta 1010. AFAIK I am running the moswt recent drivers. They are no more than two months old.

It has done this with every driver I’ve tried. Funny thing is that the Dell I put together at church doesn’t do this and it has the same Delta 1010 and same drivers. I’m thinking I might be my video card. Strange that ASIO works though.

Blessings, Terry

I like M-Audio’s software.I was using a Revolution 7.1 card w/NTrack before I got my EMU setup.I build my own computers now and I can tell you that makes a huge difference performance wise.“Top of the line” by Dell,Compaq,etc.,are not top of the line.Im hoping to have my own business soon designing computers specifically for digital multi track and mobile recording.Good luck!

I tested this once, your input is actually too loud. it sounds fine, but for some reason the 16 bit wav files have a decreased visual range or something. if you turn your input volume way down, your wav will look totally normal. don’t know why though.

either one sounds fine though.

I wished I could help. I use Echo Audio’s WDM drivers & they work very well.

Mike

Quote (guitars69 @ Nov. 29 2004,15:38)
I tested this once, your input is actually too loud. it sounds fine, but for some reason the 16 bit wav files have a decreased visual range or something. if you turn your input volume way down, your wav will look totally normal. don't know why though.

either one sounds fine though.

I don't think I explained it well. What I see when I record in 16 bit is the left channel looks normal and the right channel is half as long left to right. The height of the visual wav is normal. It's just squashed into a shorter space.

I'll send a email to Flav and see if he knows what is causing it. Like I said, the Dell I put together at church is recording at 16 bit with WDM and no sluggish VU's.

Blessings, Terry

Try “low buffering”. The cause for the delay between sound and meters is the buffering.

The sluggish VUs thing - have you checked your buffer settings? If they’re very high this can cause this. Also right click on the VUs and you can change the update rate.

As far as the ‘squashed track’ goes - is it possible that it’s recording and playing back at a different sample rate on that channel?

-Dan

You know I didn’t think about the buffering. ASIO doesn’t seem to mind high buffer settings so I’ve kinda gotten spoiled. I check that out when I get home.

Thanks, Terry

Is Playback vu-meter anticipates output checked in the preferences (Options tab)? Other things can affect the visual stuff as well, like Program Priority. The main reason for Program Priority is to give the underlying code time to do it’s stuff (helps glitching on some machines) at the expense of the programs User Interface. Program Priority defaults to Normal, and Playback vu-meter anticipates output defaults to being on.

You may want to see what timer is being used as well. n-Tracks defaults to Use system timer. I always uncheck those for Playback time and Recording time. That causes n-Tracks to use the timer from the soundcard. We’ve already see that using the soundcards timer fixes some things on some machines. There is a similar timer for MIDI – set that to Wave Timer if you do any MIDI work.

My personal experience with twiddling these has been the the defaults are the best, except to the timers.

Of course, if this is nothing more than the meters displaying out of sync there may be no reason to mess with it as log as the meters seem more or less accurate, though one side being lower than the other doesn’t sound very accurate and makes me think that these suggestions won’t help much.

ASIO doesn't seem to mind high buffer settings so I've kinda gotten spoiled. I check that out when I get home.

ASIO doesn't HAVE high buffering settings. At least, nothing in the range that n-Track uses by default with WDM/MME.

Hey, the buffers cured it. Cool!

The other thing I spoke of with ASIO has nothing to do with the VU meters. It has to do with how the wav file looks in the time lline. The left channel will look fine but the right channel will be shortened lengthwise. This only happens when trying to force 16 bit recording. If I import a 16 bit wav file it looks fine.

Anyway I want to try recording in WDM for awhile and see how it goes. Thanks for all the help.

Blessings, Terry