Small Diaphragm Condenser

how would you rate these

i have a very small budget and i am looking for a small diaphragm condenser. Here are some of the ones that i found on Ebay:

AUDIO TECHNICA ATM33a
BEHRINGER B-5 CONDENSER
NADY CM88 CONDENSER

Does anyone have any experience with these or have any other suggestions?

I haven’t heard one yet myself, but a friend whose judgement I trust really likes AT PRO 37R sd condensors for acoustic guitar and dobro. They’re usually available new for $125 (buy it now) on ebay; auctions usually end in the $75-100 range.

What’s your purpose?

I have the B-5 and like it a lot. I cosider a great buy in the range.

HTH,
Chopper

i would like to use this for acoustic guitar, some soft electric guitar, and drum overheads.

My absolute limit is $60, i know it seems pretty low, but this is just birthday money and i do not have a job yet.

I have already bought an MXL 2001 and some stands and cords, so i have those areas covered

Definitely the AT. I think. :)

read this:

http://www.mojopie.com/603.html

mxl 603 small condenser freak of nature :)

I have a pair of ADK SC-1’s condenser microphones (not matched, though) that I use for almost anything - especially guitar. They sound clear and warm, and are very easy to use.

Seen on ebay at an asking price of $58 including case, mount and windscreen.

This link has the offer listed…

regards, Nils

A couple other choices in the SD condenser market are the MXL 603 and the Oktava 012. But like most of the entries in the under $100 retail area, quality control seems to be a big issue. That is, the “sound” of the mic varies considerably from one mic to another. If it is possible, listen to a recording made with the mic of interest to you and judge for yourself how well it reproduces sound.

The MXL 603 is in a different league than the berry or nady. But if you can afford it, I’d still say the AT is the one. Although I suspect you could get two of the MXL mics for the price of one of the AT 33a mics. :)

I agree with Tom. If you can find the AT ATM33a for under $100, definitely buy it. The ATM33a has been around for a number of years and is a derivation of the AT811 which was an excellent mic in its own right. I’ve always been satisfied with the performance of AT mics.

Quote (weekendtracker @ Oct. 05 2004,08:34)
I agree with Tom. If you can find the AT ATM33a for under $100, definitely buy it. The ATM33a has been around for a number of years and is a derivation of the AT811 which was an excellent mic in its own right. I've always been satisfied with the performance of AT mics.

If you can find it new for 100 bucks, I'll buy it from you! I think the going price for those is about 150 or so US dollars, isn't it?

:)

i went ahead with the ADK offer - Thanks Nils K!! - and it should be here in a couple of days. I got my MXL today and it is in pretty good condition, but do you know what really chaps my ass? the seller forgot to include the stand adapter, so until then, i am stuck with tying to make one of my own, and if he doesnt find it, well thats a whole different matter.