small mixer recommendation

Soundcraft vs Peavey vs Yamaha, etc

Hi everybody,

I’m looking for a small, compact mixer to feed vocals and acoustic guitars into an Echo Indigo audio card. I want good quality mic pres and flexible routing when it comes to the monitor mix (phones). I’m considering:

- Soundcraft Compact 4 or 10
- Peavey PV-6 or PV-8
- Yamaha MG-10/2
- Behringer Xenyx 802 or 1202

I’m currently leaning toward the Soundcraft mixers because of their flexible routing capabilities.

Does anyone have any comments or recommendations that can help steer me in the right direction?

Thanks…gary

If you use the search button you can found an interesting thread time ago. If you want it short, consider yamaha or soundcraft.

Yip !

I’ve got a Spirit Folio (Soundcraft) 8 channel that I got in 2000 (2nd hand) - It still is amazing. LOTS of routing options.

We checked out the Yamaha range a while ago (we got a MG32FX for the church, but also (for interest) checked out the full range.
We liked the specs on that one, and the Yamaha’s components are also very good.

I don’t know too much about the others, but would reccomend the soundcraft or Yamaha.

W

Just my personal view…

Soundcraft Compact 10

More than anything…because of the monitoring options. I think all mixers should be setup this way!

KingFish

Yamaha or Soundcraft. I’ll catch flack for saying it, but stay far away from Behringer. It’s junk.

What is your budget? I have recently gotten a Mackie Onyx based pre and the Onyx pres are really flipping great. The Xenyx are an attempt at a knock off of the Onyx design, but as was mentioned, Berry doesn’t have the best track record in the universe.

Thanks everyone !!

Now I’m even more convinced that the Soundcraft is the one for me. I was studying the block diagrams last night and am real impressed by the routing options (even if non-traditional). I especially like the ability to adjust the artist volume in the monitor mix. Now I just need to decide between the Compact 4 and the Compact 10 :slight_smile:

Bubba, to answer your question, my budget is in the $100-150 range.

Thanks…gary

Ooof, yup, no Onyx. Prior to my Mackie I had a SoundCraft and they are great little boards, so i don’ think you will be disappointed.

Haven’t used them, but the Soundcraft Compact series looks like it has the best monitoring/routing options, ideally suited for a small home studio. IIRC, I had to get up into the 6-bus Yamaha before I had the features I wanted – true 4-bus operation with mute on channels and easy direct monitoring with little chance of direct feedback. (I’m still using my old TASCAM M-30, which is great for routing options but early 80’s technology.)

The Behringer and Mackie mixers all seem very limited in these respects, until you get into the really big ones.

Go for the 10 if you can afford it.

More pre’s and channels.

Even if you don’t need it straight away, it’ll be ready if you want to upgrade your soundcard.

You’ll take longer to outgrow it.

W.

cool bubba - when i bought my onyx, nobody around here had any opinions as it was too new. i have the 1620, but will also through in a vote for the smaller config onyx - you’d probably wanna look at the 1220. preamps in the onyx were a nice upgrade from the previous mackie board i owned. these things seem to be made well and look cool too (i think).

It’s human nature to decide on investing in a desk with too many strips and more than enough groups only to find out when you set-it-up and put it to work, you wished you got one with 4-8 more strips and 4 more groups on it…

I talked to this guy once that had a 56-strip desk with 24 group sends he was working with… He had this long face on him and I asked if him if everything was O.K.?? He said he wished he had 5 more strips to play with, on his desk… I have no idea know what he was using them all for… :O

He was working a stage with three acts… Five musicians in each act…

Bill…

Geesh, nothing is ever easy. I’m in Canada and the dealers seem to be having trouble with distribution with Soundcraft Canada. I’m going to be on vacation in Seattle next month for a few weeks. I can pick one up there, but Soundcraft Canada won’t honour the warranty if the need arises.

Of course, if Soundcraft is reliable gear and I have the chance to test it out for a couple of weeks when in Seattle, maybe its worth the risk :slight_smile:

…gary

Never tried Yamaha, but my Soundcraft Spirit has seen a lot of abuse over the years, and it is still working great.

I pre-odered a Soundcraft Compact 10 in Seattle and I’ll pick it up when I’m there next month on vacation. I won’t have warranty coverage when I get back to Canada, but I’m banking on not having any problems :wink:

…gary

I have never seen any Soundcraft mixer go poof ever ever before.

Even after lots of abuse.

I hope they didn’t change their quality in the meantime.

You’ll be happy with the choice.

W.

I agree with Bill: I’ve never had a mixer with channels I never used. They always end up having a few too many channels. Also, I’ve never sold a mixer – though I did have one stolen. I have 2 6-channel, 1 8-channel, one 16-channel, and a new 12-channel powered mixer.

Oops, maybe I’m wrong now: I recently got the Yamaha EMX5000 12-channel powered mixer, of which I use only 4, for my live keyboard rig. I also never use the built-in FX unit. However, all the alternatives were either missing something I care about, or had too many pieces. Plus it was cheap ($575, with two 500W amps built it) and it sounds and works great. And I’m sure I’ll use those other channels some time!

If you can find, used, a Studiomaster Logic Twelve, it’s got 4 mono ins, 4 stereo/mono 1/4" ins, is configurable concernin pre/post fader sends (meaning you can have 4 outs to a soundcard), and the specs are quite good.

I got mine for $125. Probably about the going rate for a second-hand unit.

Cons- no inserts.

how are the effects on the Yamaha MG/FX? it seems easier and cheaper to get a mixer with onboard effects for live stuff than to get seperate effect units…