Smartmedia cards

How to format

Hello, I think this might be off topic, but I have a few songs I’ve recorded onto a smartmedia card using my zoom ps04. my computer has a slot on the front for smartmedia cards. when I place it inside my pc, it says that the card needs to be formatted. but won’t this erase my card? Thanks Jason

I haven’t used the zoom, but it sounds like maybe it sin’t a compatible format with the PC.
You may need to have hte card in the zoom and then transfer via cable to your PC?

I record on my iPAQ and use both CF and SD cards and both I can just take out of hte iPAQ and put into my USB card reader and play or copy the wav or mp3 file to my PC.

Do you have a USB cable or something to connect the zoom to the PC?

Rich

The Zoom PS04 does use a proprietary format as Rich suggests. You cannot simply put the smart media card into your PC and have it read the data.

Right but I think there is some kind of program that will convert PS04 format into something you can use in the computer.

Have a look here: http://tinyurl.com/bjbyo

KS

Quote (RichLum @ July 28 2005,22:18)
I haven't used the zoom, but it sounds like maybe it sin't a compatible format with the PC.
You may need to have hte card in the zoom and then transfer via cable to your PC?

I record on my iPAQ and use both CF and SD cards and both I can just take out of hte iPAQ and put into my USB card reader and play or copy the wav or mp3 file to my PC.

Do you have a USB cable or something to connect the zoom to the PC?

Rich

What are you using to record on the Ipaq? Is there special software or something built in? I think I'm getting one soon, so it would be nice to learn about. Does it have a line-in on it? or do you need a special card?

KS

I use VITO Sound Explorer it records either wav or mp3 and at pretty high quality.

Mine doesn’t have a line or mic input but I use the inbuilt mic and it’s fine for recording jams (just acoustic guitar and vocals - not sure how the mic would handle a really loud band in a rehearsal room…)

Audacity will read the Zoom formatted smart media card. My experience wasn’t very good. It didn’t import cleanly so I ended up with something not too satisfactory. Maybe you’ll have better luck.