Snare Remix with Sun Records IR

Noise Floor Sample

I’ve been working with and manufacturing Impulse Response Samples…

I ripped an interview from a Sun Records Documentary that included about a .5 second of just Noise Floor that I edited from the interview. I then applied that sample to S.I.R. v1011 and used the plugin with the snare track on a re-mix of this Live Mississippi Swamp Project I’ve been working on. There is a link to an earlier post of this song with the the snare track before the Sun Records I.R. Sample-and-S.I.R. treatment.

Gillis and Giffin Live with Sun Record’s I.R. Sample Treatment of the snare Track…

Gillis and Giffin Live without the snare/S.I.R. and Sun Records I.R. Sample Treatment without the Sun Record’s I.R./S.I.R/Sun Record I.R. Sample Treatment…

Gillis and Giffin (old snare track) With some re-mix…

This is just to give some idea as to what the Sun Record’s I.R Noise Floor Sample sounds like with a snare track and S.I.R with the IR sample from Sun Records.

Bill…

EDIT - nevermind - they work; please disregard.

Hey Bill - the first link works. The second one does not seem to.

Hi HotDogWater:
It’s quite weird… edit… I just did an edit on (It’s) o.k. for now…

The first link is Lycos… over in the UK… the second link is Collaboration Central. I’m not sure where the server is located. What happens here is… The Uk link opens where you are given a choice as to download or listen at the file… The Collaboration Central “auto opens” the file with whatever player you have config’d to play… I’d sooner not have any player config’d to open the file… I think I can do that in the prefs. here…

Lately, I’ve been having issues writing links on this new Board… … where as the previous Board had no issues creating links or editing my posts. edit#2 I was able to do another edit… GREAT. (I moved the next paragraph up one space)…

I don’t know if it’s at the server end or this computer… Who knows.??

Bill…

Back Again:
I am not permitted to do (Edit #3)

I believe that this Board build will not allow or is not config’d to allow multiple edits…

Bill…

So that’s a pretty drastic difference! You made this impulse?

I had trouble with a first edit yesterday… I can’t figure out the pattern. ???

Hi HotDogWater:
I’ve been struggling with reply edits on this “Board Build” sense Flavio got it up-and-running…

I generally do a “Quick Post” as opposed to doing an “Add Reply”. One of these times I’ll attempt an “Add Reply” if I can remember… and see how that action behaves … while editing…

Anyway, Earlier in the spring, TomS and a few of the guys did a weekend trip over to Memphis and Area and while there they went into Sun Records and took the Grand Tour…

Before they left they all organized with what they needed for the weekend… Cameras-and-All… I’m not sure if anyone posted photos of what they saw and where they were… I know they were up-and-down Beals Street and all and took in an eatery or two…

However, before they gathered, the topic was brought up regarding recording a sample-or-two of the rooms… If I remember TomS posted to say that they were not permitted to record the room’s acoustics… to use an an I.R.Sample…

Well, this weekend I found on a recording an audio clip that contained a short “Dead Air” space of one of the SunRecord’s Room… that I imported into S.I.R. as an I.R. Sample… I’m still experimenting with the clip/ I.R. Sample… IT seems to do something on that snare track…

It seems to interact with the resonant frequencies of the track and add some amount of lower cadence to the track… Well, in my opinion… At least the track seems to have some amount of added “energy and hair” to the way IT sounds.

Bill…

Interesting. I have a basic/fuzzy understanding of how IRs are created but have never tried it. So you used this bit of dead air space recording as an IR without doing any deconvolution, assuming that the sound that generated the respnose was silence, and would have deconvolved into the same dead air waveform? If so, I’d think wouldn’t think you’d get any of the reflections of the room, but you might get some of the EQ charachteristics of room and mic.

It does definitely seem to do something to the snare - I’m just not sure what I’m hearing :)

Hi HotDogWater:
I’m still experimenting with this procedure…

So far, I’ve cloned the snare track on this timeline and on the cloned track I opened the S.I.R. VST utility on that track… Then, I moved the cloned track a number of samples to the right of the original track… Then, I added the “wet” track to the snare mix… The next experiment will be to “Group” the two snare tracks and continue to see what happens with that experiment…

Maybe, I’ll post a print screen of this… A picture is worth a thousand words… This is the part of track editing that I find takes most of my interest…

This I.R. Sample and S.I.R. has opened up some definite snare track possibilities for future drum tracks down the road… Especially, when my studio is not set up to manufacture top grade drum tracks.

We’ll see…

Bill…

Back Again:
I got a Print Screen of the Snare Edit… I’m not able to access the image yet… There is a delay to posting access to the image…

It’s a 403 error

I’ll post it (and the comments) then…

I got access…

null

To the right of S.I.R. Plugin, you’ll see two snare tracks The Yellow track is the original track and the Red Track is the clone’d track with S.I.R. installed… The clone’d tracks is moved some number of samples to the right of the original Snare track… Then and now I’m playing with the two tracks to arrive at a “TASTE” for what will eventually become the snare track… With the amount that I’m playing so far … that is the difference of the snare sound between the two “Two-Track” mixes…

I’m still Playing with all this…

Bill…

Why does SIR show the impulse as having no duration, Bill?

I like the sound, BTW.

Hi TomS and Guys:
We’re tilling new ground with this I.R. Sample. At least, I think so…

All the samples I’ve used previously and in-the-past were what I’ve known, to be called, as “Spikes”… But This sample is a Noise Floor of relativity no amplitude… (constant level)… All the "Spikes, so to speak that I’ve used has a peek -to-decay over time/shape… ??

This “Spike” is constant level that lasts some 33 kbs., in bits and resolution and lasts some fraction of a second, in time…

You see, this is the opposite flavor… The snare-hit, in this case is the “Spike” and the I.R. Sample is the “Constant Amplitude”…

Download the spike and play with it in your tracks of interest…

If you’re interested, see if you can report back to see what you can discover, while using it… I have in mind to post the link over on the Noisevault Board and let the experts toy with it… But I am thinking we should learn it’s limitations before that takes place.

I have posted several series of spikes from my collection in past years, and to have Classical Keyboardists from around Europe rave over them…

The actual I.R. purists treat me with some scepticism… They tell me I’m not following I.R. Sample manufacture protocol… or something like that… I contend that The I.R. Sample is not the END-ALL to it’s use but what the Sample’s use does to the .wav file in it’s use…

However, this sample does not meet any Impulse Response criteria… If I went over there and posted a link to it I’d probably get tossed off the Board… :O :p

I think what may be happening here is… The sample is inter-twining itself (the Noise Floor) with the .wav file to produce something like “Dithering”… or something along those lines…

Is there a better explanation?

It would be nice to get/put learjeff and some of the Theory Guys, that are around here, to add their “Slant” to the Going’s-On, with what is happening here… and to simplify (in words) what they hear…

Bill…

Well, I don’t know about “correct” use of IRs, but I’ve tried (along with a lot of other people) some pretty odd samples as impulses - e.g., snare hits, they’re always fun… so if it works, then use it! We know better than to let theory drive art… :D

Hi TomS:
I know what you’re saying.

I got drilled pretty hard by the uppity ups over at the Noisevault Board… Now I am pretty tough when I have to be. But I was learning… big time while I posted over there.

When I described in some detail how I managed to manufacture the early Spikes I posted I was directed to and I forget the name of the software that they use for editing their Spikes… Anyway, after that episode, I slowed down…

I had in mind to go into the rinks and collect spikes in the dressing rooms… The delays in some of these dressing rooms would be great for snares and maybe complete drum kits… excluding Hats and Cymbals and all…

Just toms, kicks, and snares… I was gonna get some portable audio hardware and Go-to-Town with them…

One thing I did was… a Sample of my studio… When I do a track outside the studio environment and add the spike to the S.I.R. plug it sounds like I did the track in the studio… as opposed to anywhere else… Now, we know, that’s not the best scenario for all tracks all the time. but anyway, it does work.

That game is almost ready to start… I’m gonna get ready and see how much of it I can watch, before I pass out till tomorrow morning.

Bill…

Eyup!

I say go for it Bill.
Where would we be without people who like to tinker and experiment?
You may even have discovered a new art form, “Woxner Waves”

Steve