so....the studio!

Bummer!

The first time that I went to the studio, I came home, excited like a liccle bunny at mating season, I couldn’t wait to go back n record again and again. Richard seemed lovely, we even had a small connection over one of my songs ‘Dad’ where he got all emotional and really felt what I’d been through…and he even went as far as to say he thought that I could be one of the great writers like ‘Leonard Cohen’ etc.

but then…the second session…

firstly, I explained that the songs were rather overloaded with reverb and could I please hear them ‘raw’, he got all edgy with me and insisted that they were all just fine. Then, he forgot the mic so we had to use another one and we had a very uncomfortable conversation about how he hated the way that I wanted to use music as a career, he really didn’t like that I would ever want to make money from it or that I was so focused on trying to achieve something out of it…he himself is in a band…he then went on to explain that after listening to my songs,
that all the tracks so far were good enough to go on the album and our job was done! (to my disgust) I said that there were no harmonies or layers and some cock up’s etc (this is only pre-production), this was not how I saw it being…then he turned and said he was going to figure out how to make them shine, try some ambience and mix in some other stuff…should consider electronic route etc etc (all I wanted was a raw, girl/guitar/harmonies and maybe a little percussion and flute in places) we were NOT singing from the same hymn sheet at all.

And then…the third session…

I went in expecting to record the last of preproduction, and found that when I got there, he only had ten mins, he wanted me to record ‘fantasy’ in bits and pieced so that he could mess with it…he was supposed to be my engineer, not producer…and then, he struck a nerve…Rob, Myself and a few others all wanted to have the raw files, to have a play at mixing, to put other parts on top and just to hear them…he said NO! “He said it have to take a lot of time to get them back to normal and then would have to re mixdown and would only do this if I paid him for the time to do it in. I still don’t understand why he couldn’t just put the working files on a disc.”
He then got real arsey about me letting other people get involved, or anyone else playing with the mixes and I left the studio IN TEARS!

Aardvarks legal department are going to make him destroy the files and I’m not going back.

So… we’re looking at two new studio’s at the weekend… a little older and a little wiser!

Live and learn sweetie…I hate it for you, chin up and try again. DON’T LET IT BRING YOU DOWN!

Sorry to hear that Ange but I’m not surprised.
Glad you got out of there!
To be honest I was a little surprised by the reverb I heard from your first sample, I didn’t personally find it that good, next time I’ll speak my mind.
I have a feeling that won’t happen again, but remember they will seduce you with their studio sound from the studio monitors.
Ask for a small sample to hear at your house, car etc before you decide :wink: My little sister is all about testing people, maybe you could figure out a little test for the next one :agree:

You wants for me, Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson to pays da’ guy a little “visit”? He’ll come clean if’n I shows him my .357 graphic equalizer… :laugh:

D

Something fishy going on. Who in there right mind would alter the raw files? Get them back to normal? If you CAN get them to give you back the raw files, let Bubba have a go at them. I’ll bet he could make them shine.

Hi Ange:

Do you recall the topic some time ago?
You began talking about ArdvarkProductions…

Do I ever hate this…

We…
well some of us…
gave you our two cents worth of advice and experience and little things to consider and watch out for as your career began to expand into the studio environment…

I am in tears for You and Rob, regarding this taste of what many of us call “The Business”…

Someone…
search out this “Thread”…
it goes back to sometime in the late spring or early summer…

Ange and Rob…
We are all behind you and support you in your chosen creative career-and-craft and don’t listen at anyone tell you how it’s done…
To continue with this career you’ll most likely learn more from the school of hard knocks… than from anything else-or-anyone…

This is one Messy Business
Don’t let anyone tell you different.
Don’t get wound up into the negative experience of this…
Look for something positive to sweep off the floor and learn from it…
Then move on… This is the kind of stuff that’ll toughen you up…
Sorry… Ange and Rob…
Better now than later…

Ask us…
We all have stories…
We don’t dwell on them…
by doing that, it’ll hurt you…

The real entertainers in “The Business” have discovered a way to make it look like fun, to their audiences…

Bill…

This is why we have producers. I don’t know why you are doing pre production without a pre producer?

It happens, on both sides. I still have masters that no one would pay me for etc…

Quote:

He said it have to take a lot of time to get them back to normal and then would have to re mixdown and would only do this if I paid him for the time to do it in.

Yea this is pure bs... I'm not clear on how many songs or tracks your talking about but it only takes a second to strip a software mixer of effects and a few quick clicks to set eq to default settings.
He should have offered this service to you as a last means, an attempt to show a small amount of dignity or respect.
Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Sep. 25 2009, 10:28 AM)

This is why we have producers. I don't know why you are doing pre production without a pre producer?

It happens, on both sides. I still have masters that no one would pay me for etc....

Sounds like she was self producing pops.
Next time make it clear that you expect things to be mixed as you perceive your style to be, and your material to develop.
If they can't agree to that first thing.
And then they say well, there will be times when I know best (that could be a red flag), and that could be true in a lot of cases, but we are only talking about one acoustic guitar, a flute, some backing vocals, not much really.
They should be asking you at every stage of the project if you like what is being tweeked. So you should know best.
Eq settings, probably compressors settings I would agree with them but YOU know what you want to hear and that should be good as gold.
I've truthfully never been in a studio where the engineer didn't try to do back flips to make me and my players feel that we where totally getting what WE wanted, not what they wanted.
That should be rule number 1! Please the customer.
It's ok Ange, it was exciting for you with Aardvark and all.
I've been in that kind of hyped up seniro a few times, it get's to ya a little. Looking forward to your new adventures, no tears included :laugh:
:agree:
Quote: (Diogesneez @ Sep. 25 2009, 9:07 AM)

He'll come clean if'n I shows him my .357 graphic equalizer... :laugh:

D

:) That's been done live for sure.
In fact I've heard of a soundman who was actually shot for doing that in a prestigious club in Austin, just because he thought one player in the group shouldn't be heard.
Pity the fools.
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Sep. 25 2009, 9:39 AM)

Get them back to normal? If you CAN get them to give you back the raw files, let Bubba have a go at them. I'll bet he could make them shine.

Prolly. As long as they are in good shape and you don't have trains passing in the background. Seriously, see if you can get him to provide all the session data to you on DVDs or better an external hard drive or something. Frankly, if he gets shitty with you... f-him. Tell him what's what and get your data. And this will sound not very "modern" of me, but take a big dude with you. A little intimidation can go a long way at times. Sad but true. Out of curiosity, what did he record them in? ProTools, Cubase, etc?
Quote:

but take a big dude with you

Somebody here call me? My cyber ears were burnin'... :laugh:

D

Hi, Ange. Hang in there. There are many like him - sounds like you’re learning to swerve.
As a youngster, a band friend and me are called to sign a deal with promises of the slap-up lunch - the works!
It turned-out to be a pie and beer in a pub where they told us to sack the keys and drummer.

We walked :laugh:

Bubba’s right Ange, find a pub and maybe hire the bouncer to go get your files!

Quote: (Bubbagump @ Sep. 25 2009, 2:56 PM)

what did he record them in? ProTools, Cubase, etc?

I remember the pic of his console I think but not anything else really. Is it possible that he used outboard equip and a deck and foolishly added reverb as it was recorded? That could explain his odd comments a little.
:agree: Yeah. He's either funked-up or he's up to something.
Get your wav's back.

No worries. Give us all a shout - n-TGang 'll sort it :laugh:

Hi Again Ange:

I’m such a pessimist…
They could be very well on a dozen drives by now…
Who knows ????

Yea gotta be careful here…
:)
What’s it called ?

Intellectual Property…

Bill…

Awwww, :love: you guys are so sweet, but there is no need for fisticuffs just yet :p

(Bill, it was only the studio and not aardvark that fell through…not sure if that was what you thought or not…)

(Levi…it was Cubase)

(Bubba, Thanks :agree: i’ve informed the new engineer ‘Olly’ that I will be requiring all or the raw wav’s on demand so that my friend here can have a play, he’s cool with that).

Rob called The engineer and managed to get him to say that he will let us have the raw files on cd (but if itr happens or not is another thing), when I got home, Rob just looked at me and said

"he’s infuriating and he called you a nutter! He called my wife a nutter! Ooooh he made me mad…he made all kinds of excuses to not give me the files, like the format they were in etc (I don’t think he banked on Rob knowing about file formats etc so he caught him out) but finally I argued him into a corner and he agreed to give them to me!"

so…that’s that then, this little nutter headed out to get a new studio and found this place…

http://www.beehivestudios.co.uk/

it’s further to go but much more professional, better equipped and upmarket. The engineer seems sane, which is an awesome advantage! He’s really nice and has a great approach, we also (a little wiser) managed to give him a really good insight in to what we wanted to achieve and he played us loads of stuff he’s produced that is just perfectly what I want (and not an electronic techno beat to be found). I’m sooooo excited about this place. :;):

I start recording the final album tracks on the week of the 12th october and will be recording full time then in a block to be finished for November 7th (well, that’s the plan anyhow).

Wooooooooooop :cool:

AaHh…
Thank you …
Ange for setting me straight…

I take it…
you are still on the same page with Ardvark…
I just assumed it was Ardvak that contracted this studio to track you, on their behalf…
Sorry…
This is a delicate matter…
You both have property that you are attempting to protect…
Gotta be extra careful with this patch of ground you are hanging on-to…

I think the saying is…
“Count to Ten”…
before you say something you might regret…

Generally speaking… Legal Advise costs a fortune when you need it the most…
Just ask me…

:)
:p

I hope you get back in the studio real soon and that your wildest dreams come true…

Keep at it…
You two…

Bill…