So, what's going on in the US?

Toker’s spamming the forum again.

Gudday all.

Just wondering if you guys have an election coming up or something, as Toker’s spamming the forum again (although, at least he’s getting some responses this time from people other than ksdb).

Willy.

Yes.

Got a midterm election in about a month. Plus scandels abound…

It is anyone’s guess how people will vote…

Ok, so you’re electing governers of the states then? I noticed all the scandals that Toker was posting.

We’re electing Governers and Senators and Congressmen and all sorts of local positions…

Dog-catcher. That’s the big race here, the race for Dog-catcher:)

It’s midterm election time and Mike thinks there are Republicans in his closet and hiding under his bed… course with the Foley pedophile scandal going on, it may be worthwhile for everybody to check their closets and under the beds… Stupid politicians…

D

PS I’m in Germany for the week and can’t get ANY English speaking television where I am. It might actually be a restful trip… even if it is work. No CNN… No FOX News… No BS!

What is there some gathering I don’t know about ?

You and Bubba in Europe at the same time ?

Btw - you talking about not getting any english on the channels…

I was in Mozambique on businnes a couple of years ago, staying in a much acclaimed international hotel being homesick like anything wanting to phone my wife. Only thing I got was a very cheerful sounding portuguese voice telling me what I need to do to to get an international phone call going.

You would expect a ‘international caller’ to not by default speak the home language …

W

Yep. That’s right… Bubba and Kristi are on this side of the Atlantic too. I think they are in Poland though. Avis would be right pissed if I tried to drive over to visit! :D

D

I post here about as much as I normally do & very little has to do with the upcoming election, unless of course, drunken bears run for office in your country. Some of the issues I post on should be of interest to you if you were concerned about the world.

I’ll beg to differ on that Toker. You have a distinct political bent in your posts, and I wonder if you’d post them if there wasn’t an election - drawing attention to them with an election coming up is just another form of propaganda.

Just having a look on the front page of the anything else forum shows you’ve started 8 of those threads. You’ve up’d your work rate - we haven’t seen that volume of posting since before you got your forum over on whatisnames site a couple of years ago around the last election. To your credit, the 2nd page only shows five, maybe becuase the number of response you are getting to some of the other ones are bumping them to the front page.

I took that to mean there was something you were jumping on your soapbox about.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Some of the issues I post on should be of interest to you if you were concerned about the world.

That, is really pretty funny. US scandals/politics/right/leftwing agendas != the world. In what is an unfortunate and ugly stereotyping of the American Character, it would appear that you seem to think that the world revolves around the US.

I’d read some of your posts if the baby hadn’t been thrown out with the bathwater so long ago - most of your threads start with a link and a slab of quoted text. If we’re lucky you’ll post a line with your opinion (but not always), but there’s never any consideration for the opposing viewpoint.

(At this stage, I will say that the situation quoted here: Resign Mr Speaker is pretty fucked up)

I do appreciate the fact that you expect others to read and work it out for themselves though (even if you do expect everyone to come to the same conclusions as you).

Anyway, regardless of what I think, you’re getting a few responses as opposed to around election time.

well,

there may be some merit to toker’s contention that these internal US political events do have import for the wider world, though he could have made that point with a little more tact, and a little less implied arrogance.

Willy, what’s at stake this year is control of congress, and if that control goes to the dems, then George Bush’s ability to enact his radical foreign agenda will be seriously impaired. He may even be forced to atone for the mess his policies have created in many parts of the world. Such a comeuppance may have very long-lasting effects for international diplomacy etc. For example, US adherance to the Geneva Convention itself is one issue. This does affect everybody, Aussies included, ‘cos our boys are also in Iraq and have been in Afghanistan, and probably will be again. It is particularly important for Aussies on many levels, since John Howard’s foreign policy is so closely aligned with the US. Many other issues such as war with Iran are affected by congress’ approval or disapproval. This affects everybody, and it looks like all the domestic scandals Toker reminds us of will be a big factor in the outcome, since it’s only a month away.

That said - Toker’s insistence on posting all the links to the n-track board may not be of any value to fellow n-trackers (american or not), or even to himself. There are plenty of other places to get a daily digest of biased anti-bush news links.

<!–QuoteBegin>

Willy, what’s at stake this year is control of congress, and if that control goes to the dems, then George Bush’s ability to enact his radical foreign agenda will be seriously impaired. He may even be forced to atone for the mess his policies have created in many parts of the world. Such a comeuppance may have very long-lasting effects for international diplomacy etc. For example, US adherance to the Geneva Convention itself is one issue. This does affect everybody, Aussies included, ‘cos our boys are also in Iraq and have been in Afghanistan, and probably will be again. It is particularly important for Aussies on many levels, since John Howard’s foreign policy is so closely aligned with the US. Many other issues such as war with Iran are affected by congress’ approval or disapproval. This affects everybody, and it looks like all the domestic scandals Toker reminds us of will be a big factor in the outcome, since it’s only a month away.

kymarcus - very well put (couldn’t have said it better myself).

<!–QuoteBegin>
That said - Toker’s insistence on posting all the links to the n-track board may not be of any value to fellow n-trackers (american or not), or even to himself. There are plenty of other places to get a daily digest of biased anti-bush news links.

First of all, my posts are not all anti-Bush. Secondly, the Anything Else forum is for any off-topic threads. Is it that Willy doesn’t like the number of my posts or the content? Hard to say with him. You know it amazes me that Willy continues to whine about this - he’s been whining for 2 - 3 years. I mean, seriously, if he doesn’t like my posts, then he or anyone else doesn’t have to come here. They can go to Audominds or some other fourm, or they can post something else that will make my posts move off the current page.

ok,here is my idea,
this involves Nascar and all of the politicians in washington,
alright,first of all Nascar gets all these guys(the politician dudes) to agree to race against eachother,then holds the race on a figure 8 racetrack ,winner takes all (kinda like they do now)

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 09 2006,13:50)
First of all, my posts are not all anti-Bush.

Facts are Mike that you are allowed to have your own political opinions just like everyone else. And I would expect you to defend those opinions. But please do not lie about your political stance. All of your political posts are anti-Bush; and that is ok. I tried my best to support Bush early on but have found it to be a futile task in the last 3+ years.

Secondly, the Anything Else forum is for any off-topic threads. Is it that Willy doesn't like the number of my posts or the content? Hard to say with him. You know it amazes me that Willy continues to whine about this - he's been whining for 2 - 3 years. I mean, seriously, if he doesn't like my posts, then he or anyone else doesn't have to come here. They can go to Audominds or some other fourm, or they can post something else that will make my posts move off the current page.

I would be careful about these thoughts and feelings. They may be honest, but they did not serve you well the last time you decided to leave and not come back. You make it sound like you own the "Anything Else Forum" and that those who don't like your posts should leave. That concept backfired last time you tried it.

I think people are trying to say that it is ok to post what you feel... just not repeatedly everyday. It's kind of like the person who says "pull my finger". It is funny once. It is silly twice. It is stupid the third time. But after a while, it is just plain annoying. And the same person who laughed the first time will be ready to linch you after the 10th time.

Just the voice of reason...

C’mon Mike, (and you know I’m grinning when I say this), you know your posts are anti-Bush. So are mine! :D And frankly, more than the international morass and the generations worth of problems he has caused all of us everywhere, I’m even more pissed about my family’s portion of our stupid national debt, which at 27,000 per person in my household works out to 135,000. I dunno about other folks, but that is an insane amount of money to me. So #### right I am anti-bush! Tammy Lee for Congress!

Anyway, I really like it when other folks say a bit about what’s going on in their neck of the woods - we do spend way too much time on US stuff here, which I am certain all will agree is important, the US being a big world player and all, but certainly nothing like the only player. This board, including the off topic part, has never felt international enough for me. I sometimes feel like it is a board somewhere in the USA.

The board used to feel more international but I believe that since that crash over a year ago, a lot of the people just never came back or didn’t become active anyways. I’d be happy to stop posting as much stuff about the US as I do. I do agree - my Bush posts are anti-Bush, but my main point was that all my posts were not anti-Bush.

But I think anything to do with Iraq is extremely important to the world as a whole. Therefore things that have to do with IRaq are often linked to Bush. Issues like global warming also have to do with the world as a whole.

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 09 2006,11:43)
I post here about as much as I normally do & very little has to do with the upcoming election, unless of course, drunken bears run for office in your country. Some of the issues I post on should be of interest to you if you were concerned about the world.

Mike,

For the most part we would be better off with the drunken bears instead of what we have

dave

Maybe we need another sub-forum “Nothing Else”