So, what's going on in the US?

<!–QuoteBegin>

we do spend way too much time on US stuff here, which I am certain all will agree is important, the US being a big world player and all, but certainly nothing like the only player.

True Tom, and Kymarcus earlier.

And the Beehive in my back garden is important too, but I really don’t give a toss about its internal politics.

And believe it or not, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, the US’s internal politics don’t matter as much as you may think. No matter who is queen, America is still America.

Sure, it’s fairly interesting to read about your internal squabbles, but internationally, they really don’t mean that much.

OK, to Americans, I’m sure that there is a mega difference between Bush and Clinton, Carter and Reagan, Mark Foley and Mark McGwire, but I assure you, at a distance, the differences become far less distinct.

I doubt if there is a measurable difference between the pollution that pours out of the USA during a Republican administration or a Democrat one.

American based multinationals do what they do whomever is in charge.

And rainforest destruction for beef and hamburgers continues no matter whether the pointer swings red or blue.

Both parties are capitalist. The dollar rules, greed rules. For both, it’s the same American dream, it’s just the fine detail that differs.

And the thing is, I can’t figure out why! ???

Most Americans I’ve met are very nice people. They’re concerned about their fellow man and are not the greedy war mongers portrayed by many.

And the Constitution is probably one of the finest declarations of human rights ever written.

So, why is it all going so horribly wrong?

(PS. And Toke, don’t blame it all on Bush. If you haven’t understood what I’ve written, then just give it a miss, Ok mate. :;): )

Oh yeah, I’d just to add; that the USA is only carrying on with the “fine” tradition that was started by Britain and the other European colonial nations, so our hands are far from clean.

But hey! You’re all growed up and on your own now, so please stop fucking the world up. :)

<!–QuoteBegin>

It is particularly important for Aussies on many levels, since John Howard’s foreign policy is so closely aligned with the US.

Lol, Howards policy might as well be cut and pasted from the US *.pdf files.

<!–QuoteBegin>
I think people are trying to say that it is ok to post what you feel… just not repeatedly everyday. It’s kind of like the person who says “pull my finger”. It is funny once. It is silly twice. It is stupid the third time. But after a while, it is just plain annoying.

That’s got a fair bit to do with it.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Is it that Willy doesn’t like the number of my posts or the content? Hard to say with him. You know it amazes me that Willy continues to whine about this - he’s been whining for 2 - 3 years. I mean, seriously, if he doesn’t like my posts, then he or anyone else doesn’t have to come here.

I wasn’t that fussed about it as I generally don’t read them. My OP was wondering what was causing the increase in output. My thought patterns were along the lines of “toker spamming ?= upcoming election”.

I’m being honest here - I just figured something was going on and asked about it. I’d hardly call it whining - if anything I haven’t said anything about it for the last 2/3 years since the election (although… yeah, I took the “bait”).

The usual “If you don’t like it, go away” response is par for the course though.

<!–QuoteBegin>
Willy, what’s at stake this year is control of congress, and if that control goes to the dems, then George Bush’s ability to enact his radical foreign agenda will be seriously impaired.

Probably not a bad thing, but commitments have been made by people all round that should be seen through one way or the other I guess.

Willy.

Hey Mike,

May a make a freindly suggestion?

How’s aboot’ we make ONE thread for ALL things related to US politics.

We can call it American Graffiti and anyone that wants tag it and keep it alive, much like we do the “Yikes” thread for all things related to God, or God(s) as some adhere to.

It’s sure to be a hoot, like a run by fruiting! :;):

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 09 2006,13:50)
First of all, my posts are not all anti-Bush. Secondly, the Anything Else forum is for any off-topic threads. Is it that Willy doesn’t like the number of my posts or the content? Hard to say with him. You know it amazes me that Willy continues to whine about this - he’s been whining for 2 - 3 years. I mean, seriously, if he doesn’t like my posts, then he or anyone else doesn’t have to come here. They can go to Audominds or some other fourm, or they can post something else that will make my posts move off the current page.

Ok here goes.

1st I’m gonna remind everyone about a couple of things, and then I’ll comment on it.

Please humour me …

From this thread:

Mike/toker/soul/charlie: <!–QuoteBegin>
F*ck it - I can take a hint. I’m out of here for good. Live long & prosper.

Then from this page:

My political posts are now at the www.theVeryFew.net (until Pete kicks me off anyways). I think he’s regretting giving me the space but he’s a man of his word and he did it w/o me even asking.

This was me on the same page :
<!–QuoteBegin>
Let me refrase my feeling. I’m not gonna miss your endless political postings, but I might just miss your presence around here.

Then from this
I stopped my political posts - isn’t that what annoyed you guys the most? I’ve also tried to do more on topic posts.

On this page John said:

<!–QuoteBegin>
I’m not suggesting that you “go away” or anything silly like that, but you’re more likely to find a good politcal discussion with some really bright folks over there…

And likewise, you’ll continue to find some good discussion about music, gear, and general nonsense right here…

Followed by Mike’s reply:
<!–QuoteBegin>
Yes - thank you for suggesting that again. There are other political sites also, but this is an off-topic forum, so politics can be discussed if the forum goers want to discuss it. I’m just not going to be the one to start the discussions.

Now here’s my comment:
Willy haven’t been ‘whining’ for 2 or 3 years. He’s just been commenting on the thing that a lot of people was annoyed about. Even you admitted that starting political posts wasn’t a good idea and for the time that you stuck to your own resolution things was very cool. Interesting discussions as well as a pleasant forum atmosphere.

Now all of a sudden you start flooding the forum and you are surprised about the reaction of everyone ?

How is that ?
Do you have a short memmory, or are you just comfortable with going back on what you said ?

If you go back a page or three you can literally pinpoint the time when the dam broke.

I say this with respect, as I have Tourette’s myself, but it does somehow remind me of the symptoms - The longer you try and push the ‘twitches’ down the more you HAVE to do it. And you always do it louder and more if you try and fight it / hold it down.

Could it be that your urges to start posting / quoting political threads were being surpressed so much for the last 9 months that you couldn’t hold it in any longer ?

I’m just wondering / observing / commenting here on my own.
Feel free to not agree, and I’ll feel free to stand by my opinion.

W.

edit - again (like I said before). Please read this carefully and take it to heart. I mean this very sincerely:
The problem is not you. I enjoy your ‘other than political’ posts.
You are whitty, inteligent and an all round nice guy.
But there is this nasty ‘mr Hide’ that comes out when politics are involved. You turn into this weird guy that I do not want to talk to. It is the ‘I’m right and you are wrong’ and the ‘This is my opninion and you are wrong if you do not let me say my say, but at the same time you are wrong if you have a different opinion’ frame of mind that gets me going in a big way.
This unlikeable side of you just come out with political posts.

/edit
Quote (Guest @ Oct. 09 2006,23:06)
we do spend way too much time on US stuff here, which I am certain all will agree is important, the US being a big world player and all, but certainly nothing like the only player.

True Tom, and Kymarcus earlier.

And the Beehive in my back garden is important too, but I really don't give a toss about its internal politics.

And believe it or not, as far as the rest of the world is concerned, the US's internal politics don't matter as much as you may think. No matter who is queen, America is still America.

Sure, it's fairly interesting to read about your internal squabbles, but internationally, they really don't mean that much.

OK, to Americans, I'm sure that there is a mega difference between Bush and Clinton, Carter and Reagan, Mark Foley and Mark McGwire, but I assure you, at a distance, the differences become far less distinct.

I doubt if there is a measurable difference between the pollution that pours out of the USA during a Republican administration or a Democrat one.

American based multinationals do what they do whomever is in charge.

And rainforest destruction for beef and hamburgers continues no matter whether the pointer swings red or blue.

Both parties are capitalist. The dollar rules, greed rules. For both, it's the same American dream, it's just the fine detail that differs.

And the thing is, I can't figure out why! ???

Most Americans I've met are very nice people. They're concerned about their fellow man and are not the greedy war mongers portrayed by many.

And the Constitution is probably one of the finest declarations of human rights ever written.

So, why is it all going so horribly wrong?

(PS. And Toke, don't blame it all on Bush. If you haven't understood what I've written, then just give it a miss, Ok mate. :;): )
A lot of us over here would like the answer to that question as well. :(

First of all, I’ve never spammed this forum or any other forum. Posting OT threads is not equal to spamming. Perhaps I am posting more political threads these days because of the election? There have been alot of interesting political things going on here recently, some of which do concern the world (Iraq, re-defining torture, etc.).

Secondly, I left this forum for a while because I got tired of people whining. But I came back. Call me a hypocrit if you’d like.

Thirdly, I tried to get some people interested in the site that Pete created but theveryfew.net is indeed the Very Few, so I gave up at that.

<!–QuoteBegin>

But there is this nasty ‘mr Hide’ that comes out when politics are involved. You turn into this weird guy that I do not want to talk to. It is the ‘I’m right and you are wrong’ and the ‘This is my opninion and you are wrong if you do not let me say my say, but at the same time you are wrong if you have a different opinion’ frame of mind that gets me going in a big way.

Fourthly, I am this way because of what’s happened in the US in the last 25 years, i.e., an organized & concerted effort to discredit liberals & make them evil. I’m sick of it! And I’m sick of putting up with right-wing a**holes who think they know it all. I do NOT always believe that I am right but I do know when I’m dealing with right-wing ideologues who lie & re-write history to justify their positions. It is no accident that the things are bad in the Middle East right now, it’s no accident the N. Korea is testing nukes & Iran wants to build one. It’s no accident that the US got attacked on 2001 by terrorists.

As TomS recently pointed out, ksdb & I have had some good political discussions (even though I do consider him as about as right-wing as they come).
Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 10 2006,12:24)
As TomS recently pointed out, ksdb & I have had some good political discussion.

?QUE??
HAHAHAHAHA :D :D :D :D
(Sorry, Tom)

I’m actually QUITE amused when reading ksdb-toker ramblings. At least Joe has finally realized I’m baiting him 100% of time and stopped responding to me. On the other hand, he and Mike both seem to relish the personal jabs. What they are saying about politics is irrelevant. I see it as an exercise in “how low can they blow”.

<!–QuoteBegin>

I’m sick of putting up with right-wing aholes who think they know it all.

Can’t the same be said of “left-wing” aholes?

If everybody in the USA (the rest of the world seems to have figured it out…) would just realize it’s the same horse of a slightly different color… REAL progress might be made. Extremism of ANY sort is a BAD thing IMO…

<!–QuoteBegin>
What they are saying about politics is irrelevant. I see it as an exercise in “how low can they blow”.

You da’ man phoo… you da’ man…

D

<!–QuoteBegin>

Can’t the same be said of “left-wing” a**holes?

Show me one like Rush Limbaugh or Brit Hume. In fact, show me any new liberal (and Kennedy doesn’t count).

You miss the point Soul man… the extreme “right” and the extreme “left” have it all wrong IMO. They MUST seek out a middle ground situation and work TOGETHER if anything worthwhile is ever going to be accomplished. Standing on their stumps and hollering “nah-nah-nah-nah!” is NOT going to help and that is currently what is going on.

D

PS Don’t get me wrong here… the investigative offices need to find out what went on in the Foley scandal and pin ALL their butts to the wall. This other partisan BS has to stop for any real work to get done.

<!–QuoteBegin>

…the extreme “right” and the extreme “left” have it all
wrong IMO.

Yes - I agree with this idea in principle, however it is important to have progressive thought, but the reality is that the right has gained control in the US & things have swung far to the right. Moderate Democrats are now painted as extreme which is just not true.

Quote (Mr Soul @ Oct. 11 2006,11:51)
but the reality is that the right has gained control in the US & things have swung far to the right.

Do you have a camera in my boxers Mike?

How else would you know they have swung so far to the right?

They will be happy to know they are in control of the US though. :D

They do love all the attention tho guys, you talk about them more than I do. :;):

Testies, one two.

keep shinin’

jerm :cool:

<!–QuoteBegin>

Testies, one two.

keep shinin’

Your testies shine ?

:p :D
Quote (Wihan Stemmet @ Oct. 12 2006,02:46)
Testies, one two.

keep shinin'

Your testies shine ?

:p :D
Only after a good workout.

<!–QuoteBegin>

But I came back. Call me a hypocrit if you’d like.

I would, but my spell-checker won’t let me. :(

:p

Giz…in Southern E. Coli-fornia, the state that keeps on giving. (‘I’ll be back!’ as our Governor once said, and our lettuce, and our spinach, and our carrot juice, and our… Mr Soul ?) :D