So what did you get for Christmas?

???

I know that there are different meanings of “wealth” all over this world… but hey, what made your day?..

as for me, had a great day with my family and got a nice Marshall combo from my wife. Not quite the stack of my youth, but 75% of the sound with none of the transportation problems…

So what about you?..

X

I got world peace, an end to famine, nonpolluting renewable energy resources, and a Carr amplifier!

Well, at least part of that was true. We’ll work on the rest next year. :)

But we had a great time with our family as well.

You like the Marshall? They look rather nice…
:)

The usual, Gold, Myrrh and Frankenstein (the third wise man was a bit hard of hearing, plus, I think he got a bit confused over the ‘resurrection’ thing), but what the hey, it runs on two D types, and has flashing lights and lasers and everything! :)

http://www.toontrack.com/index.asp

D

time to unlurk myself…

I got a new soldering iron and a multitool, having your birthday the same month as chrimbo sucks sometimes but hey, never mind

Hi Gents, and polar69 :
I was so sure that the Big Guy would leave me a download link for that Drumagog Utility … However, He saw fit to hold out …

I’m looking at that link D… Drum Samples

How are you intending to use them? What utility will you use to import them into your editor for creating drum tracks?

My door is open and swinging to alternatives to the ideas I have…

Bill…

Quick question

If I “jump down” a mono jack from my guitar to a mini stereo jack by bodging together the signal cables how much interference and background noise will I pick up ? ?

And what is the correct way to do it, I mean most if not all guitar outputs are mono and I’ve not seen a mono input for a sound card yet ? Some sort of mixer I assume >?

Hi polar69:
I’ve tracked bass guitars that way… Active and passive instruments…

Maybe, consider doing it this way… Remember… there are several approaches to tracking stringed instruments…

1 1/4" - RCA male connector cable… Then RCA - (Two) RCA “Y” cable Adaptor… Then a Connector cable (whatever Gender) to a 3.5 mm male connector to connect to the “Line Input” of your audio card…

That should give you a nice Pristine/Dry Guitar track that you can add whatever effects/plugins you choose at mixdown time… If the interconnect cables are working correctly, you should have no interference or background noise to the tracks you create after you push the audio card’s line input fader to at least 90% or less of it’s maximum setting… Experiment with those adjustments… as a starting point…

Bill…

[EDIT]
You should end up with a (Binaural) Two-Track recording of your guitar…

Then consider doing a “Clone” of that track… in the Mix-Down of that track… Move the “Clone’d” track of the recording by a number/few samples along the timeline… and then do a Render/mixdown of the two tracks after you get IT sounding like you want it to sound like… Then, re-import the rendered track back into your project’s time-line… That’s a basic starting point to consider when preparing guitar tracks for your project… When Rendering/mixdowns of tracks always use the “Sample Rate” button… Never the sound card’s sample rate… If you’re working at 48 khz. sample rate or 44.1 khz. … whatever…?? Something to consider…

Quote (Diogenes @ Dec. 25 2006,22:45)

D

You like that, D?
Quote (TomS @ Dec. 25 2006,23:12)
You like the Marshall? They look rather nice...
:)

Thanks for asking Tom.

'tis sweet for a combo. Sure moves some air and while it's not a "proper" tube/valve amp, the ECC83 in the pre seems to do it's job well. Now I don't gig as much, as combo makes a good companion.

I've also got a nice tranny Fender combo that I've had for years. Great tones but doesn't quite cut it for bigger gigs.

You know, when I see what those Sound City heads go for on ebay now I really wish I hadn't given mine away when I downsized!!! I gave mine away to a friend who was short of cash. Can't remember where the Marshall cab went though...

And, yes, D, I'm interested to hear your experiences with the EZ drummer stuff.

X
Quote (TomS @ Dec. 26 2006,10:03)
Quote (Diogenes @ Dec. 25 2006,22:45)

D

You like that, D?

So far, yes I do like it. A lot! You can mix and match drums like say if you don't like the snare in the kit, you just pick another. There are something like 8000 MIDI "groove clips" included so guitar hacks like me can build a great drum track in minutes. Of course, once you drop the MIDI clips in your sequencer you can edit to your taste... add a kick here, a side-stick there etc. It is almost as powerful as DFH Superior but WAAAYYY easier to use. The best part is the samples they recorded for the hits. They sound GREAT!

Not being a drummer AND a one man band type guy, decent drum tracks have been the bane of my existence. I believe EZDrummer has the cure. I can't wait to dive in a little deeper to see what I can make...

D

Hey, D, I want to hear a clip of something you’ve done with it.

Xon - nest time you think about giving away something like that, do remember your very good friends here at the n-Track forum! :D

Gads… this is cool! You can even vary the amount of room mic and overhead mic with the built-in mixer! You can also adjust the level of each drum INCLUDING a mic on top and bottom of the snare. This is some COOL S$%T!

I’ll post something when I can Tom. I’m still exploring what all this thing can do…

D

Hi D:
Is the program included or what program/utility do you use to import the samples to be able to hear and render the drum-kit? Or is all this software included into the package you buy?

Bill…

Hi Bill,

EZDrummer is a VSTi you use like any other virtual instrument. The great thing about it is the amount of control over the sample(s) playback. Like I mentioned above, you can choose different kits, different instruments (drums, cymbals etc) within the kit, amount of “humanization”, mic level for each drum plus room mic and overhead mic.

It can be setup with stereo or multi-output feeds to the host and the output rendered just like any other VSTi. Once you have your drum track(s) nailed, just render those tracks or freeze them. Then they are .wav files you can manipulate just like any other. It does not seem to be massive CPU pig either so I imagine a pretty big project could be tackled before rendering or freezing becomes necessary. So far I am really impressed with this thing. I WILL be ordering some expansion packs for it. More kits, samples and groove clips etc… The Latin pack sounds incredible. Do check out their demo page and see what I mean. Good stuff.

D

One more neato thing…

You know how agressive drummers sometimes “push” the beat to give the song a more agressive feel… or lay off the beat slightly to create a more relaxed feel? That’s doable in EZDrummer with a sort of velocity control. It’s not the same as Velocity in the MIDI sense but anywho… It pushes the hits of pulls them off the beat ever so slightly to give a more realistic feel to the song. Awesome…

D

Quote (Jesus @ Dec. 25 2006,18:39)
The usual, Gold, Myrrh and Frankenstein (the third wise man was a bit hard of hearing, plus, I think he got a bit confused over the ‘resurrection’ thing), but what the hey, it runs on two D types, and has flashing lights and lasers and everything! :)

Good one,

I was blessed with PEACE this year, thank you JESUS, it is a rare thing these days! :p

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums…MG]

keep shinin’ God bless us every one & Happy New Year!

jerm :cool:

<!–QuoteBegin>

I was blessed with PEACE this year, thank you JESUS, it is a rare thing these days!

Nah, different Jesus Jerm.

He’s the one who made things happen, I just sit back and enjoy them. :D

Hi Diogenes:
I’ll be taking a serious look at that EZDrummer… What All Packages are you looking at… ?

Bill…

[EDIT]
I didn’t get chance to reply to your post on what and how drummers do to Lag and Push the bed players on the stage. It doesn’t happen with “Electronic Drummers”. I spent most of my “Stage” days playing with real drummers. It’s a treat to play with real drummers… But in my later years I played on stages with electronic drummers only to find out that it took all of my concentration to be the only player to “Lag-and-Push” the stage… I found I was continually searching for the “Groove” that wasn’t there… and that IT could never be found. Ballad tunes were the best I could get out of a night’s work… Back-and-Push and Up-Tempo stuff were never something I could get gratification from… because the concentration it took to “Lag-and-Push” never attained the groove…

I tried it one night… I stopped playing in the middle of the song we were playing and no one on the stage new I stopped, till the guitar player looked over at me and questioned me after the set was over… Did I fall asleep? It didn’t matter what I played-or-not, on that song… The notes I played on that song, was “Covered”… so it didn’t matter weather I played or not on that particular song… :O :p

Bill…