Social Engineering

Hey all;

The opening track from our (hopefully) soon to be released CD was recorded using nTrack. Check it out at our website:

Falling Edge

We’d be interested in hearing any comments/criticism.

Thanks

the arrangement style takes me back.
a mix of genesis and rush. mostly genesis.
with petrucci-type tone on lead.

i hear timing issues with the rhythm section in various places, especially at transitions into quiet sections.
am i the only one?
maybe i’m just overly tired and ears are playing tricks on me.

Eyup!

Prog Rock was my thing back in the seventies and I can hear hints of the bands I used to listen to, Yes, King Crimson, Jethro Tull etc.

I agree with JDET, there are some obvious timing and tuning issues that could have been fixed in NTrack, but as you say the CD is ready for mastering, so it’s too late now.

Good luck with your project, you are experienced musicians.

Steve

Quote:

there are some obvious timing and tuning issues that could have been fixed in NTrack, but as you say the CD is ready for mastering, so it's too late now.


Well, we still have the tracks here and can edit them. Where did you hear the timing and tuning problems? I ask because we were (or thought we were) pretty careful about those things, but you know how it can be when you get too close to a project.


Thanks

3:30-3:33, 5:08-5:10, 6:04(very minor), the transition going into 6:40.
these are all sync problems with the drums and bass, and can be more easily fixed by splicing and adjusting the bass rather than the drums.
there might have been times it seems that background guitar arpeggios were dragging, but i couldn’t quite tell for certain.
are you going to fade out that ending?

If you want my honest opinion, this is great, really really well done (me, I dunno timing from a hole in the wall), but - the vocals are too buried. Love the guitars. And the square wave synth is cool in a retro way. What synth? Also - tell us about recording the track.

Quote:

3:30-3:33, 5:08-5:10, 6:04(very minor), the transition going into 6:40.
these are all sync problems with the drums and bass, and can be more easily fixed by splicing and adjusting the bass rather than the drums.
there might have been times it seems that background guitar arpeggios were dragging, but i couldn't quite tell for certain.
are you going to fade out that ending?


Thanks for that jdet. I know it takes some time to lisen through to things closely and I appreciate you doing it for me. I'll check those areas out. The drummer and I had a lot of discussion about those guitar arpeggios, which he also felt were dragging, but I intentionally put a couple polyrhythmic things in there. The ending is the way it will be on the record, with that last guitar note segueing (is that a word?)into the next song.

Quote:

but - the vocals are too buried.


Someone else made that comment also. It's kind of hard to strike the right balance for the vox, and I think there still needs to be some work done there - perhaps a little more brightness or rev. Any suggestions aside from simply bringing the fader up? The synth was a Korg - Poly61 I think. The keyboard player has since left the band so I'm not sure. The track took forever to record, because we kept losing bass players (fortunately none of them died in bizarre gardening accidents). We initially recorded the drums, then the bass and keys for the 1st 5 min or so were done together, then guitar tracks were added. Then our bass player left, so we worked on other music until another one was located. We then decided to re-record the drums, and were much happier with the sound.

Thanks again for the input.

I’d bet a small bump around 5K more or less in the vox would bring them out. But not more verb.

Bring the vocal pan closer together this will also bring it forward. Myself for my own music I run between 55 and 51 on my lead vocals and wider for backup vocals, but thats just me.

PACO