Some basic questions

I am a newbie, having posted here last weekend and got some great responses.

I don’t know what button I touched but I can record, but when I go to play it back, I have duplicate tracks. What button do I touch so that I only have 1 track?

Also, when I send my tracks to other people through email, in mp3 format, they usually say that when they play it back everything is really low. What do I do to change this? If it is the recording levels, how do I change them?

Thanks so much in advance.

Gary

Why doesn’t someone here (not me of course…I’m extremely lazy) just type up a f*$!ing page on this since we answer it every other day. Its not the newbies fault, its ours (and once again my laziness makes me exempt) and we (meaning everyone but me) should just post a link whenever we are asked this repetitive jive.

Awaiting a slap from a wet seabass,

CB

hey gary,not real sure bout the dual track thing,but that shouldnt pose much a prob cause ya can just delete one,the low volume thing can be taken care of by running yer track through a compressor and or limiter type plug ins,the n track compressor soft knee setting will kick it in the ass for ya,run it through a couple times,but make sure not to let it clip,experiment an see what sounds good to ya,

ok,i took a look,the two track thing can be changed by pul;lin up yer recording vu an then clicking on the lil hammer icon on the bottom of the meter,there it asks mono track or stereo or stereo two mono tracks,make yer choice man.

Quote (silvermachina @ Mar. 10 2005,00:08)
Why doesn't someone here (not me of course...I'm extremely lazy) just type up a f*$!ing page on this since we answer it every other day. Its not the newbies fault, its ours (and once again my laziness makes me exempt) and we (meaning everyone but me) should just post a link whenever we are asked this repetitive jive.

Awaiting a slap from a wet seabass,

CB

Ok, here ya go...

*SLAP!*

I agree with you, though, CB...errr was the slap supposed to be related to the comments? Woops! :laugh:

Wet Sea Bass

changes out of Wet Sea Bass costume :D

Quote (One Last Chance @ Mar. 09 2005,22:19)
Also, when I send my tracks to other people through email, in mp3 format, they usually say that when they play it back everything is really low. What do I do to change this? If it is the recording levels, how do I change them?

Thanks so much in advance.

Gary

Gary,
FYI this falls under the category of “mastering”, and though I’m just a mastering n00b myself, here are some useful items from users here:

learjeff’s Mastering 101 (The first topic is " Why are my mixes so quiet?")

CB/silvermachina’s thread on getting a loud mix

here’s a discussion about increasing volume, and here’s another older one.

There’s a LOT more out there, especially outside this site…hopefully these can serve as a reasonable starting point in the scope of this forum. I’d recommend starting with learjeff’s doc to get acquainted with some of the terms so you can better understand what CB, wozz, and the others are saying.

Tony

I’ll add a suggestion or two if i might…

Wozz is right about configuring N to record a single track instead of two. Ues the Settings button on the Recording VU Metter. Ummmm… There’s a tutorial HERE.

As for getting a hot signal when recording, follow the signal chain from the instrument all the way thru to N’s recording VU. There are many places along the way where you can increase the volume. Part of learning how to record is learning how to adjust the gain of your signal so it’s hot without clipping. Using compression is NOT the same as setting gain.

If you’re using a mixer, check the gain settings of the channel(s). Then look at the output signal of the mixer. Then the input (recording) level of your sound card’s driver set. If you’re using a cheap sound card, it may not come with it’s own driver set. Cheap cards often use the Windows Volume Control instead. There’s a tutorial for that too (see the site linked above).

I don’t believe N allows you to change the gain of the signal being recorded. You need to learn how to adjust that outside of N.

Now for a bit of n-Track history… I chuckled a bit when i read CB’s frustration with answering the same questions over and over. I can relate, bud. That’s exactly the reason we started AudioMinds. The intent was to have a place we could direct newbies so they could learn the basics of digital recording. The site hasn’t been updated in ages and the tutorials are based on Ver3 (i just upgraded to V4 yesterday), but i think you’ll find the content is still helpful.

teej