Some "How To" advice for a newbie

eq / effects on a track

Hello,

I am browsing around for home-recording solutions, and am only finding myself with more questions than answers.

What I am having problems with is this:

I record a guitar part.
Then I record a second guitar part.

So, there are two tracks.

Now, what I’m looking to do is to have it so that the EQ or effects on the first track changes or is limited to only a certain area.

To be more specific, I want much high-end on guitar one until guitar two switches to a solo, then I am looking to drop the midrange/highs out of guitar two and boost the low end while track two solo is happening.

Right now I’ve only been able to figure out how to tweak the EQ across the entire track, rather than just portions of it.

The same goes for effects. I want two or three effects on track two… but I want them to be on and off “separately” sometimes effect1, sometimes effect2, sometimes neither, sometimes both.

How is this accomplished in nTrack? I’ve not been able to figure it out, and otherwise I am highly interested in nTrack and a recording card as the most cost-efficient solution (it has all the features of software that is much more expensive! even more!)

Thanks!

Ok I know ntrack has this feature, it called Apply Effects Envelope.
It depends on which version your using,
On mine it’s
EDIT>apply track envelope/effects Ctrl ALT

I think you have to highlight the area you want, then apply.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

jerm

Thanks for your suggestion, but that applies things destructively.

I’m looking for an ability to maybe set cue points and at each point the EQ changes, or an effect changes, non-destructively.

One workaround I found was to have many copies of the same wav for different effects and EQs and everything, and just use volume to switch between them.

That seems very clumsy and I wanted to see if there’s a more efficient way! Thanks!

Ok, having to make all the seprate track copies does sound redundant to me, not to mention the resulting lost CPU.

I don’t see why you don’t just save your original file with all the original tracks without FX.
Now reopen that same file and Save AS—(type a new file name here)
Now you have a new song file with all the old tracks in it.
I’m pretty shure there’s a way to do non~destructive editing.
Even so, I think you could do destructive editing in the new files you created without affecting the original tracks in the Older copy you saved under it’s original name.

try it with a disposable fiel first incase I’m wrong K?

Hang in there, lotta informative folks here.

jerm

My first thought was to use the “clone track” function, apply the EQ changes to the cloned track, and draw volume envelopes to fade in and out between the two tracks. I’m not sure how much CPU time a “cloned” track takes up, though.

-John
:cool:

Quote (John @ Feb. 07 2005,23:02)
My first thought was to use the "clone track" function, apply the EQ changes to the cloned track, and draw volume envelopes to fade in and out between the two tracks. I'm not sure how much CPU time a "cloned" track takes up, though.

-John
:cool:

Thanks guys,

Yes, this is basically what I'm doing. There gets to be tons of tracks when I'm doing a more intricate mix with this method, but I've basically been working on one instrument at a time, getting lets say 3 or 4 extra tracks and using the volume envelopes, then when happy, creating a destructive version.

It's that when I apply an effect to some other track, I tend to need to re-eq the already "destroyed" track and that means going back!

So far the only two software I've found demos for, this and audition, handle things the same way. Looking at screenshots, the only software I can see that does something similar to what I'm looking for is pro-tools, but that requires the HW which I don't want to invest in: I'm happy with my m-audio stuff!

Thanks again!

How about using the effects parameters automation?

Quote (TomS @ Feb. 08 2005,12:06)
How about using the effects parameters automation?

Amazing! Thank you so much!

To those interested: essentially you assign effects to Aux sends, and automate the Aux send/recieve this way!