Some recent weather

Almost touched down

Here’s a pic I took from my new place the other day. I opened the door to see this.

http://yfrog.com/mjp1010765j

PACO

That don’t look good…

It would be tough to know what to say about weather like that in these parts…
We complain a lot about the weather we get around here, however, it’s rare we have to contend with damage caused by weather…

But just this week I had to clean up a felled tree on my property…

Bill…

Woah, Paco! Did it hit you?

Quote: (TonyR @ Jun. 11 2010, 1:30 PM)

No it was off to the west, a couple of KM's or so. It never touched down. Even if it had, my Dad and I were in no danger since the storm was moving along us as apposed to moving toward us. We normally don't see this kind of weather here (mind you we just moved here in Jan), up here in Canada but we do get some tornado's from time to time, mostly a good distance from the mountains where the foothills end and the plains start.

We've had twisters touch down a couple times that are worth noting that killed people, one was in Edmonton years back, hit a trailer park (Why is it always trailer parks??) and another hit a campground at a place called Pine lake, which by the way, I fish for Northern Pike (Wiped the campground off the map, Bar-BQ's everywhere). Twisters are spotted every year in Alberta but nothing like tornado alley in the states, were just too far north to have the numbers of them they do. Were very close to the mountains so storms form here then move east usually and then get stronger as they push east and produce large hail and tornadoes especially in Saskatchewan.

However, sometimes thunder storms form along the foothills and travel SE along the edge of the foothills and not East and thats when we see storms like the one in the photo. We get them also in the same manner when they form in the SW and travel north the same way. Whether they get pushed north or south, sometimes they get held against the foothills of the mountains allowing them to build very big before they eventually move off on to the plains. There's always every year a very good light show at night. Although tornadoes have been spotted near Calgary, never has one touched down in the City, nor where I live now, Granum, Alberta, which by the way turns 100 years old this July. POP@ 2010 443/ POP@ 1904 a mere 334. Were are known as the town that never grew.

PACO
Quote: (Paco572 @ Jun. 11 2010, 5:23 PM)

in Canada ...... Northern Pike ....

PACO

Yea GREAT band!

She's got a muscle, she's got a muscle.... :agree:

keep shinin

jerm :cool:
Quote: (jeremysdemo @ Jun. 11 2010, 7:06 PM)

Quote: (Paco572 @ Jun. 11 2010, 5:23 PM)

in Canada ...... Northern Pike ....

PACO

Yea GREAT band!

She's got a muscle, she's got a muscle.... :agree:

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

The Northern Pike fish are better known as "slew sharks" because or the row after row of teeth. I like the band too.

PACO :)