something we got done...

incidente-ep

Hello all!

This is the first time for me to write something on this forum, even I’ve been learning to use n-track for at least two years now and I’ve been following this forum every now and then… so thanks for all the tips I’ve got from here.

Anyway, here are three songs out of six that our band released just a month ago. Everything was recorded with n-track in our rehearsal room or at my home. Only when mastering some analog devices were used with n-track.

In Your Car
Lucas
Common Night
The song are not all polished up and there might even be some cracks and pops there, but with our band thats not so serious. :). This was more of a learning process for me to go through the whole process of recording, mixing, mastering and releasing. Currently we are just starting to record a full album with all new songs…

So if you have any opinions, please tell me.

Asko

Hi asko.

These are some promising tracks indeed - good raw material well treated yields a great result!

I do have one or two things, however. In all three tracks the distorted rhythm guitar has a tendency to drown out the vocal (which is great BTW). This could be alleviated in several ways, the most obvious being pulling the guitar back a bit in the mix. This may make the track lose its power, so a better alternative would be to carefully ‘carve out’ some space for the vocal in the guitar track by using an EQ and damping the frequencies of the guitar where the vocal is most prominent. Remember, a little bit goes a long way. Just pull back the crouding frequencies (they are probably around 200-800 Hz or so - experimentwith different settings) about 3 dB or so, keeping the Q of the EQ pretty wide (1-1.5 or thereabouts), and the vocal will stand out more without losing intelligibility.

Good luck with you and your project!

regards, Nils

Very nice!

:)

Hi,

Thanks for the comments and for the tip. I will try the eq thing with the mix for the next project, my hard drive corrupted last week and I lost all the final mixes of this project… In a way it is a good thing, I can have fresh start next time.

Asko

Quote (asko @ Nov. 04 2006,09:02)
Hi,

Thanks for the comments and for the tip. I will try the eq thing with the mix for the next project, my hard drive corrupted last week and I lost all the final mixes of this project... In a way it is a good thing, I can have fresh start next time.

Asko

Sad to hear that - I hope you have the original tracks stored somewhere.

This is why I always make a backup (to a portable HD in my case, but you may prefer a different medium) right after a final mix...

regards, Nils

I listened to all three and like the sound.

Your vocalist has a beautiful expressive voice and the instrumentation provides a simple, clean backdrop for her.

Sorry to hear you lost this set, but I would love to hear your next version…

Quote (shayneb @ Nov. 07 2006,09:36)
I listened to all three and like the sound.

Your vocalist has a beautiful expressive voice and the instrumentation provides a simple, clean backdrop for her.

Sorry to hear you lost this set, but I would love to hear your next version…

Hello,

Thanks for the comments. As I mentioned, we will starting recording new stuff in December. I will post something here as soon as we get everything recorded and mixed. Hopefully we get everything done faster than last time when it took over a year to finish everything from first recording day…

The plan is to try to preserve more of the dynamic range of the songs and maybe add more layers to the music also. But we’ll see how it turns out…

Asko