Sonar 8

anybody?

Just D/L’d the demo to see what its got. Has anybody here ever used it?
It seems N or R have basically the same core elements. And what you are paying for with Sonar is the Instruments. But at $500 - that’s alot to pay for the instruments. Any comments?

never used it seven - I’ve probably bought that much in instrument software over the last year with EZdrummer and RealBand/Band in a Box. I’m ever the curious one though - I’ll go check it out.

Whoa! 175 megs! that’s like 15 minutes! :whistle:

well it won’t open an edl file = bummer - imported my last master wav and not a sound to be heard although it’s playing and I have meters. Thought the setup would have “setup” ?

Finally found the outputs… sounds the same as n-Track! Who’d a thunk it!

Unless it’s bulletproof - but… if it is then I might be persuaded. I mean it would have to be rock solid through and through. I just got finished getting the parts of the .chm file to .pdf so I could print out double sided. God I hate those .chm files.
I’m gonna give it a try for the thirty days and see how stable it is. There was a blurb on their forum about how the Cakewalk does’t want the user manual loose in the wild. Can’t get it unless you buy the product. That there ruffles my feathers. What are they afraid of?

have a look at ACID PRO 7 - good review in Sound on Sound this month -

M.R.

There was one sonar plugin I played with last night that I liked seven. The phase one. I like the fine tune adjust on phase. Did you try it?

Overall I must say I have to return to n and R and reiterate the old “Bang for the buck” mantra… hard to beat.

I would not pay 500 dollars for it.

And as far as a manual not being open to the public, I can see why - I mean look at it - you need a manual by design. Not having it public may cut down on the cracked copies, which may be part of their plan I don’t know. I’m still learning n and R in reality and my needs are rather simple, another reason not to buy.

What’s your impression so far?

Do you still have to shut down and restart the program if you change audio drivers? That use to chap my hide when I was monkeying with Sonar 4. Also, if you used an external interface via USB or Firewire and started the program without the the device connected, CRASH! I always had to scurry around, connect the device, set the options to onboard sound, close the program, restart to make sure it “took”, disconnect the USB device… THEN I could hit the road with my lappy and use the onboard sound. PITA!

There were some other weirdo things that turned me off. I had 4LE and it was supposed to entice me into dropping 400 bucks for the full version? Nah…

Bear in mind this was FOUR versions ago. Unless 8 comes bundled with a fully functional “Talent Plugin” I’ll pass on it too. I have all the tools I need. It’s the time and talent I’m lacking.

D

PS Having a nice score editor is pretty cool though. I get that with my PG products though and still have change in my pocket.

Don’t know how the interface properties are DC - and I won’t 'cause there’s NO WAY I’m going to install it on my DAW. It’s on my laptop. It took me a year to get my tracking DAW to behave and I take no chances with adding software to it.

Don’t blame you Poppa. If it ain’t broke…

My DAW partition at home has been unchanged for a long, long time. I think it’s even four or five revs behind on Reaper updates. It works extremely well so why doink with it right? I’ll install R3 when it gets out of ‘Beta’. It’s still in ‘Alpha’ so I figure I’m good for a while yet.

D

Quote:

re. PW There was one sonar plugin I played with last night that I liked seven. The phase one. I like the fine tune adjust on phase. Did you try it?

Starting at the beginning. Just now doing the Tutorials. Although I did mess with some of the plugs for MIDI. ...apregiator, echo delay, reverb. Pretty slick. Acutally, I like it so far.
Quote:

re. DC Do you still have to shut down and restart the program if you change audio drivers?

I believe I read that this is no longer a problem. Plus stuff like arming and recording during playback (never thought about doing that before - but now I can see where that might come in handy) Never tried that with N or R.
Not sure about the USB connect issue either.
Quote:

re. MR have a look at ACID PRO 7

I'll get the mag next time I'm out to the big city. I have to go about 30 miles to find a decent mag seller. Usually Barnes and Noble.
Quote:

have a look at ACID PRO 7 - good review in Sound on Sound this month -

M.R.

I haven't tried the latest version, but if it works as well as Acid 4.0, I'd choose it over any of the other big name DAWs.

Seven - you bring to my mind the reason I started using n-Track years ago.
I’m one of those guys that would rather jump right into a program and start exploring.

Quote:

Starting at the beginning. Just now doing the Tutorials.

You on the other hand seem to be a better student than I - I don’t think I’ve even opened a “readme” file in years. Years ago I stumbled upon n-Track - installed it and it worked intuitively for me. Sometimes I look at programs like this and wonder "Who has need for all this stuff?"
Just my opinion of software in general though.

PW if I had high speed, I would probably just watch YouTubes on it.

Quote:

Plus stuff like arming and recording during playback (never thought about doing that before - but now I can see where that might come in handy) Never tried that with N or R.

That works beautifully in R. I don't think it works at all in n. Maybe in the newer versions... but I doubt it. Not a dig... just the way it is. *shrug*

D
Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Mar. 21 2009, 10:57 AM)

Man 7 your on dial up? Shoot forget the 400 dollar box and get on line man!

That’s on my to do list. Along with get a job, find a nice girl, make some Bubba-worthy music, pay taxes, fix my truck.
BTW- I had an alternator replaced on my '91 S-10 4.3 and now when I use the turn signal the voltage indicator goes up and down. Never did that before. But, the guy at the shop says they all do that. I say no they don’t. Is that a bad regulator I got?

Quote: (Poppa Willis @ Mar. 20 2009, 10:47 AM)

Don't know how the interface properties are DC - and I won't 'cause there's NO WAY I'm going to install it on my DAW. It's on my laptop. It took me a year to get my tracking DAW to behave and I take no chances with adding software to it.

Hi Gents:

I'm catching up on posts..

I already expirenced screwing up this Creation Station..
Adding programs and utilities on this Vista Desk..
When I called Sweetwater Support I talked to this guy..
He's clever.. BUT..
they also install a Back-up appliocation called Ancronis True Image..
This is something..
It uses a partition on the Boot Drive that is unable/or doesn't get formatted when rebuilding the boot drive..
(I guess the partition is protected..
somehow)
As your "C" Drive build develops it just develops as you build the drive.. I believe that's what goes on..
If you have a failure/accident
or whatever, you decide what you choose to re-install and the drive formats and rebuilds to that point-in-time..
I stand corrected on all this..
But for me I got a BrEaK buy having/using this application already..

I didn't have anything on this drive to save, but if I did I would have been ugly..
One thing that happened was, I didn't save the EXE's of the stuff that was loaded on/in the document folder of the drive.. I had to call Sweetwater for the information on how to register the pre-installed OEM applications that came with the machine.. That's something I overlooked when I opened the machine for the first time..

I think I need to order as many of these applications as I have machines in This setup I intend to run..
However, I hear that this True Image Application will operate through a LAN System/Setup..
I believe that there may be many brands of this type of application..
but..
this is one I've already had expirenced that has saved my A**..

I didn't quite know how to tell you guys what happened to me already..

Now It's Out..
:D
I feel better..
already..

Bill..

p.s.
I thought I was the only one to drive 15-20 year old cars-and-trucks..

I'm looking at an old '99 Ford Ranger V-6 machine.. (it has 118 kms on the clock)..
What's that
65-66
thousand miles..
I need something to carry odd-and-ends for putting this studio together..
Gotta wait thill this weather and Big-Blow gets over..
It's still in the forcast..

I liked the old S-10 2.5 lt I had..
It was an '87
It just rotted away..
They use way too much salt on the highways over here..
in the winters..
Do you think you might need the battery replaced.
????
That happens on my old Buick..
Yes Tom..
It was build in Flint..
In the good-old-days..
I don't drive it enough to keep the battery charged up..

Quote: (sevenOfeleven @ Mar. 21 2009, 10:57 AM)

p.s.
I've Been-TherE...
DonE ThaT..
:whistle:

[edit ] Oh-Oh.. Pink sky in the morning.. ???

Bill - Yes the ‘restore partition’ is hidden and is used to restore the machine to the state when you first recieved it. It does not ‘grow’ or include anything you add to your disk(s). Strictly like a reset button for the factory install.
I see you still have the curse.
You are a walking anit-computer :laugh:
I’m the same way with cars. No matter what I do something is never quite right.
I’ll look into the battery. I think someone else mentioned that - so it just may be a coincidence that the battery is damaged as well.

This Acronis Program looks like the Cat’s Meeyow or the Bee’s Knees…

All I’d really like to do is, prepare a computer to record some tracks with it…
I’d hate to begin a session to find some issue partially through a project some
computer/technical issue show up and loose the creative approach to the project… EDIT… (A stability issue)…
There always appears to be some fly-in-the-ointment to keep me from starting a project…
This Vista system/computer may be my way back to doing a tracking session…

This old Buick I have has a battery with a cell that doesn’t keep it’s charge…
I think it’s the original battery that came with the car when it was new…
BUT…
does the old car warrant a new battery ????
Last summer I had to put a couple of new tires on the front…
It broke my heart to put them on…
It cut into my budget I had for the studio construction…
Old Car…
New Tires…
:p
:laugh:

Does, this True Image Application allow me to add to the reconstruction- restore-or-backup of the drive ?
Maybe, that’s what I need to add to my prespective of how I think this program, works…
Sorry…
I should have said it that way…
instead…

Bill…